Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 May 2009
I have a lifetime connection with Africa and this is one of the most significant books on that continent I have ever read. These wonderful photographs reveal a deep empathy and understanding as well as being technically first class. Every person who has seen this book has been impressed.
on 4 July 2010
It is the most wonderful book I have ever purchased! It proudly occupies the top place on my bookcase. The pictures are most vivid, incredibly touching. I keep going back to it again and again. I used it for a presentation during the African theme term in a primary school where I am teaching. It has been the best buy I have ever done!
on 26 August 2011
Fantsstic book. Amazing photos, great text. It's really worth having it in your photography book collection! Very good qualiy pictures, very expressive faces...I would definately recommend it to anyone!!!
The only drawback is the size of the book. I found it a bit small. I would prefer A4 size photos but that's not an issue to put you off from buying it.
on 24 August 2011
Wonderful book, I echo everything positive that everybody else has said but the small size of this book is really off putting for me, I think it's A3 in size and I feel that wonderful images such as these are more beautifully represented in larger format books, so I will be sending mine back and will try to purchase the Fisher/Beckwith books individually.
on 14 April 2011
Good book, was surprised at the size as its only small - around A5 size. Beautiful photography and easy readable and interesting text to go alongside photographs (the authors come across as very likeable when you read the text).

I read the whole book in less than 2 hours - would recommend...
on 24 October 2010
This is my favourite book of all time.I am an artist and always looking for inspiration,,,,this certainly gives it to me.The pictures are really stunning,,,im so jealous of the photographers for being there taking them,,,its my dream to see some of the tribes in this book,Ive ordered a second copy so i can use the other one for my scrap book and reference.Id definately recommend this book.
on 6 February 2011
It isn't often I buy a book and found myself blown away by it. Encouraged by the other reviews of this I bought it, thinking I'd at least have a nice coffee table book. Well, there is no doubt that the photographs are beautiful and evocative; some of them are works of art in their own right. But what I was not expecting was a poetic threnody on lost or vanishing worlds. A magnificent book, and one I shall buy copies of for friends.
on 13 July 2015
More magnificent and inspiring photographs from Carol Beckwith and Angela Fisher, and this time from all over the African continent. My only quibble was the tiny size of the book. I would have been happy to have paid 4 times more for a comparably larger book which would have better showcased the breathtaking photography.
Such a wealth of natural beauty...scarification, which I think was abhorrent to me in the past, I can now appreciate and see as remarkably beautiful in many cases. It is, above all, for me the huge variety of peoples to whom one is introduced in this marvelous little book that makes it special. I can only wonder at the chiselled beauty of faces so lean and majestic! It makes one proud and deeply humble to think that this was where the human race originated, and that, under the skin, we are all African.
on 17 August 2011
AMAZING BOOK OF AFRICA, DESCRIBING 51 CULTURES IN THE CONTINENT, YOU WILL FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.
CLOSE 'ALIVE' PICTURES HELP YOU TO TAKE A VIRTUAL JOURNEY YOU COULD ONLY DREAM OF ..
HANDY SIZE, I LOOK THE PAGES OVER AGAIN AND AGAIN, NICE PIECE OF MY AFRICA-BOOK COLLECTION!
IM THANKFUL FOR THE AUTHORS FOR THIS WONDERFUL COLLECTION OF PICTURES!
on 30 January 2016
A wonderfully insightful book with some amazing photographs. It was great to see the great diversity and beauty across this great continent.

The only issue I had was the size of the book (A5). Photographs of this quality need to be at least A4 to do them full justice.