Style Name: PencilsChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 February 2014
These pencils are exceptional quality. I have always previously used Derwent coloured pencils, but in my view these are a far better quality. They are very soft and blend really well making them easy to use when you need to layer two or more colours. The colour mix in the box is good enabling the user to obtain the majority of colours and tints with a little blending. Yes, these pencils are dearer than most others but they are worth the extra cost - at the end of the day you get what you pay for.
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2013
.....see it as an investment!

This is a quality tin of 36 'Polychromos' (many colours) Colour Pencils of 'Finest Artists Quality'.
The robust, hinged, dark green tin measures around 32.5 cm x 19 cm x 1 cm when closed.

Each coloured pencil has 'FABER-CASTELL' embossment along with 'Germany/Polychromos', the colour name and its unique code & 'SV'.
They are rounded barrel and completely smooth. They are easy to sharpen (and you can get a reasonably fine point) without losing half the pencil in the process of doing so, if my experience is anything to go by.

From the base of the tin
FEATURES:

1. Soft vibrant colour laydown
2. Thick oil-based lead, water-resistant & smudgeproof
3. High quality pigments in bright colours, unsurpassably lightfast and acid free
4. Lead SV bonded to prevent breakage

* Code 177 : WALNUT BROWN
* Code 271 : WARM GREY II
* Code 274 : WARM GREY V
* Code 199 : BLACK

The tin comes complete with a little leaflet which lists all 120 available colours to dream about (in my case) along with some useful tips such as:

* Use of different materials:
Polychromos artist's pencils adhere to many relatively rough surfaces such as paper, cardboard, wood, stone, leather or metal.

* Dense colour
Hold the pencil vertical and press hard to give areas of intense colour.

* Light to dark
Light colours are translucent, dark colours opaque. One colour on top of another increases the intensity and brings the colours to life.......

Also currently available in other sizes:

And you can always add to or create your own collection according to your crafty talent, 'by the pencil', as a lot of the colours are available singly, e.g.:

MEDIUM FLESH
LIGHT FLESH
SANGUINE
DARK NAPLES OCHRE
BURNT UMBER

OMG! Nostalgia, again......I must be getting old! That last colour reminds me of a seriously large paint box my Grandmother let me use an equally serious number of years ago!

Some further research confirms my memory does serve me well! A bit of history:

'1908 - Polychromos artists' colour pencils
Shortly after the Castell pencils, a further successful product came on the market: "Polychromos". From the start, they were available in 60 different hues, carefully matched to standard watercolour paints. Within a few years these pencils were familiar to artists as a top-quality product - their leading position remains unchallenged to this day.'

I couldn't agree more - my only regret is that I could not justify the price tag of the super set of 120, even on half price, but for the serious artist this can represent less than a pound a pencil, which isn't too bad for the best tools for the trade, I guess?
11 comment108 of 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2013
This is the most I've ever spent on coloured pencils, but definitely worth it. The leads don't wear down very quickly, but still lay the colour down vibrantly.
The tin is nice, and seems fairly sturdy. I've had no problem with opening it like I have with others. They came decently packaged and undamaged. There is a wide range of colours available, with several shades of each. I'm going to buy a larger set in the future and will recommend these to many people.
on 14 April 2014
These are the best color pencils ever!!! They're really soft and blend nicely with a white oencil or a colorless blender. Because they're so soft the tips tend to break of sometimes or go down quickly, which means constant resharpening. If you use a color often that means it will go and go fast. Which is a bit of a drag for me because the only store close to me that sells these individualy is hella expensive. Other then that the color selection is sometimes a bit off. It doesn't have any fleshtones in it. Not a lot of pinks or purples eather. Makes me whish I saved up dor the 120 set :D
on 4 February 2012
I was recommended these pencils by a lot of artists. I must say they are brilliant. I've always thought you couldn't blend coloured pencils, but you actually can blend these to some degree.
I just wish I had bought a larger set, because these were so worth the money. The set lacks some skin tones though, so if you draw a lot of humans I might buy some single pencils as well, or a larger set.
0Comment40 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2015
I have only recently got in to art and have been doing some adult colouring for relaxation (it works a treat).
I treated myself to these because I wanted a softer pencil plus they had such good reviews, and I haven't been disappointed. They are really gorgeous pencils, soft but not to soft and great quality leads so they dont keep breaking all the time.
The colour quality is excellent and the range available is fantastic.
If I had to give any negative points, I would say that I find them difficult to keep in a really sharp point without breaking the very end off. I am very heavy handed though and tend to press too hard, so I would imagine if you are more careful with them them this wouldn't happen.
You can do very fine detailed work with them, as well as larger shading areas. They are really enjoyable to use.
Lovely pencils, I would highly recommend them.
on 4 March 2014
I bought these pencils based on reviews and a few online tutorials i had seen online. I am very glad i did! These pencils are great for Art work (my reason for buying them). You can blend the colours together easily. Highly recommended!
on 4 May 2013
Bought for my daughters birthday, and they are fantastic pencils worth every penny. The colours are vivid, the leads don't break and they are a joy to use, not cheap but worth it.
on 4 January 2014
really wish I'd bought these sooner! the steep price has always put me off though, however i finally managed to bag this set during a lightning deal and they've just blew me away. They really do live up their hype and then some(I never really take reviews as value information, but in this case spot on!) I would pay full price for a good set, this one contains a good range of shades but cant wait to afford more! before even opening them,the tin alone oozes quality-well worth the money.
Quick note to Amazon though-bit over the top on packaging!
on 30 April 2014
IMHO these are the nicest colour pencils! They blend easily, lay down colour beautifully, and are a joy to use. I have used many brands, these are some of the best.
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse