Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jan 2010 09:39:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jan 2010 09:40:45 GMT
Maria says:
Hi,

I'm about to buy the 2010 upgrade (I'm currently using the 2006 version), and I'm finding mixed messages in the reviews! I don't have a tree on the Ancestry website so all I have to do is transfer the 2006 tree maker info onto the new 2010 software - how easy is that to do and how do I go about it?

Also, what are the main positive and negative changes between the 2006 and 2010 version? I like the format of the 2006 version (but then I've never had a look at any of the upgrades) I'm just hoping the new version will freeze and crash less and have a few extra features without being too different! I'm still using XP as I didn't like Vista - will the 2010 version run ok on XP?

Posted on 23 Jul 2010 11:14:19 BDT
iwlace says:
I see that you posted this query in January and still have no reply.
I am in exactly the same position as you were then and you are asking exactly the same questions as I would.
So, can you tell me if you went ahead with buying the 2010 upgrade and what your experience was?
It would be helpful to know as, like you, I am confused by the various reviews

Posted on 1 Aug 2010 11:57:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Aug 2010 12:01:42 BDT
Mgt Hall says:
Family tree Maker 2009 works with XP so I would assume 2010 will also. When I installed 2009 it on my computer it installed seperate to my 2006 version so I can click onto either version - Should you need to transfer a file from an earlier version of FTM or even from a different computer you need to create a GEDCOM file.

Open the original FTM programme, click onto FILE, click onto EXPORT FILE, click onto ENTIRE FILE, a new window will open. Save as - you choose the location, (I always select desktop) Save as type - you need to select GEDCOM from the bottom of the list - this also fills in the name of the file you are saving, click save. You will now have a copy of your family tree in your chosen location. click or double click onto this file to open it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2010 11:13:29 BDT
iwlace says:
Thank you for getting back to me on this Mgt - it seems likely that I shall be able to make use of the 2010 version.
Thanks too for the valuable advice on creating a GEDCOM file - a mystery to me until now
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  29 Jan 2010
Latest post:  3 Aug 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Family Tree Maker 2010 Platinum Edition (PC CD)
Family Tree Maker 2010 Platinum Edition (PC CD) by Avanquest Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (82)