Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > The Fates forum

THE FATES: TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY, THAT IS THE QUESTION

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Mar 2008 19:05:05 GMT
Rita Marchi says:
I am new to the discussion board but the debate about this book has fascinated me because after seeing the book mentioned in many other reviews I have been very tempted to buy and read this 'fantastic' book. Now after reading the disussion board I am almost tempted to buy just to see how bad it can be. So - to buy or not to buy?. Although I have to say I would not normally pay that much for an unknown author. ANYONE GOT ONE THEY WANT TO SELL CHEAP?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2008 19:23:25 GMT
In my humble opinion, don't bother. Its not even worth reading it for a laugh. I threw mine out. When I bought it I was hoping for a great read, as there used to be a load of five star reviews raving about the book (see other discussions for why these were removed). I was sadly mistaken. I've read a lot of "trashy" books and sometimes these can be a bit of mindless entertainment, but this was just so badly written and edited that it was horrible.

There may be those who don't think it was quite as bad as all that, or that think for some bizzare reason I'm just prejudiced (I wasn't before I read it lol), but I'd save your money.

I think there's a link on one of the discussions to a site where you can get a preview of the book, but I don't have the time to look for it right now. However, have a look at www.kgglaub.com. You may find it interesting. Good luck whatever you decide to do :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2008 20:42:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2008 20:42:54 GMT
Roger says:
Hi Rita

My advice would be don't touch it with a bargepole. You would be welcome to my copy, only I am hanging on to it on the basis that it may one day have value as "Possibly The Worst Book Ever Written".

Joking apart, this book has been the subject of an aggressive, immoral and abusive marketing campaign by the author and he doesn't deserve to earn another penny (or cent) for his efforts.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2008 20:48:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Mar 2008 20:52:02 GMT
Flubu says:
Sorry - we returned our copy to Amazon! To preview the book though (as Dark Clarissa mentioned) try the following link. It should put you straight onto a sample page from the book and then you can click on Next Page to scroll through:

http://www.iuniverse.com/lookinside/LookInside.jsp?isbn=0595464335

No, I wouldn't recommend buying it. Like Roger, I don't believe the author deserves to profit from this.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2008 21:44:25 GMT
A M Marriott says:
I'm of the same mind as Flubu and the others.However it's so dreadful you should be able to pick it up at charity shops and car boot sales anytime soon for next to nothing.
Believe me ,if you'd seen some of the violent abuse posted on this site by the author and 'friends' you wouldn't want to put money in his pocket.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2008 21:58:08 GMT
Deborah says:
Hi Rita - I would honestly suggest you buy something else. But do browse through it on iUniverse as Flubu suggests.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2008 08:52:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2008 10:02:31 GMT
A M Marriott says:
Do browse through it on iuniverse as deborah suggests and then you might like to take a look at a book called 'Wildsong' by Catherine Creel.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 12:32:52 GMT
Definitely agree with the others, don't buy it. It is absolutely the worst load of nonsense that I have ever read. It's historically inaccurate, poorly written and punctuated, the characters are cardboard cut-outs, the plot is repetitive. But if you really do want to read it, you can have my copy for the price of postage.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 12:34:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Mar 2008 12:35:24 GMT
DooYou says:
I want it. It was the shizni. Da bomb.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 14:34:51 GMT
Misfit says:
I'm thinking I should add this book to my Wall Bangers! Listmania, even though it's one I haven't read. I'd be happy to quote anyone who comes up with the best description that stays in the flavor of what I've already started, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wall-Bangers/lm/R1Q18O62BPXFME/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 14:39:55 GMT
A M Marriott says:
That's excellent,I'll have a think.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 14:48:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Mar 2008 14:53:15 GMT
Deborah says:
Good idea Misfit. I'd already read your review for Shadow Music before you started posting here. I'm sure someone will come up with something fitting.

btw I rather like Avid Reader's review that was posted today. It may well disappear, as usual, but can be retrieved if that happens.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 15:13:35 GMT
Misfit says:
Oh, I like Avid Reader's as well. I really need to read more reviews on Amazon UK. You just don't see words like twaddle over in the states very often. :o

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 15:40:37 GMT
Flubu says:
Yes, nice review and well put. Btw, "startlement" seems to be a favourite word of Catherine Creel's - amazingly, we can excuse Tino just this once! - and was also commented on in a review of "Reiver's Woman" .

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 20:35:45 GMT
Deborah says:
How appropriate is this? In today's set of shill reviews, our good friend 'Randy Wone' (top 1000 reviewer) has reviewed The Book Thief! Not only that, but his review was originally written by Snowbrocade on .com (1st April 2006). Is that irony?

By the way, has anyone noticed that 'Randy Wone' and 'John A Launders from Kent' (the current 5-star reviewer) have led strangely parallel lives?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 23:05:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Mar 2008 23:07:48 GMT
Perfect example of irony, well done, Deborah!

I see Randy and John have a sister too, called Debbie Penson
http://www.romancenovel.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26246&sid=8a4ca271600a4b56b48f0e837e9be26d

That's not you, is it, Debbie?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2008 08:02:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Mar 2008 08:02:57 GMT
Deborah says:
Avid Reader's review has been deleted, of course. It should be back up soon.

Btw both Randy and John share a profile with Toto, in Amazon.ca

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2008 10:59:32 GMT
Deborah says:
By the way, did I miss this before? Under Circe's Song on Amazon.com, as well as the ability to browse the opening pages, there is a 'surprise me!' facility, which enables you to look at random pages throughout the book - about 3 or 4 at a time, and a different selection each time you do it. If anyone was in doubt that they are the same book (just in case anyone has missed www.kgglaub.com) then take a look!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 11:23:17 GMT
A M Marriott says:
I had a look.Interesting.I still think that the website gives the most helpful overview though.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 13:21:37 GMT
A M Marriott says:
Glad to see Avid Readers review up again

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 13:23:22 GMT
Jake says:
I wonder why none of these 1-star reviewers have any purchase history? Can you say fake?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 13:49:04 GMT
CJ says:
Do you think Tino has his alarm set to go off every so often so he can come and post his meaningless comments on these various ridiculous threads he's created?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 14:04:06 GMT
Jake says:
It's funny how they all avoid the "having no purchase history" comments.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 14:08:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2008 14:09:04 GMT
CJ says:
It doesn't show on my profile because that's my choice. My purchase history on Amazon UK goes back to 2002. If you like I can list some of the items from that year. What else do you want to know Tino?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 14:36:54 GMT
A M Marriott says:
We all have the choice to keep our purchase history private Tino and most of us choose to do so,mainly for personal reasons such as buying presents for others.I too have been buying for a while,most recently your book 'The Fates'-second hand and Catherine Creels book 'Wildsong' which I think you may also have purchased
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Fates forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  6 Mar 2008
Latest post:  17 Apr 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions