Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Mar 2008 09:59:50 GMT
Ratboyslim32 says:
Would I say the MACBOOK is brilliant? NO! Would I say OS X is brilliant? YES!!!
The only thing stopping m selling my one month old MACBOOK is OS X. Having used Windows for the past 12 years, OS X is a breath of fresh air. Simple, easy to use and very powerful.
The problem lies with the hardware. Yes, the MACBOOK looks gorgeous; thiswas proved at Frankfurt Airport whe I took it out to watch a movie; much head turning! :)
However; I get very, VERY annoyed at the constant blowing of the fan. When playing a game of watching YOUTUBE, the fan is on over-drive. Why? I have read many forumns and they all comment on this problem.
My UTOPIA would be a Sony VAIO, running OS X :)

Comments most welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2008 15:22:13 BDT
Lee Harris says:
This is not a Macbook specific issue. Allow me to explain...

This Macbook uses an inbuilt graphics chip known as GMA 950. The more recent Macbook uses the much improved GMA X3100.

Put simply, gaming and video playback takes a lot of effort from the CPU *unless* these functions can be handled by the graphics chip. The GMA 950 is quite a basic chip and cannot handle complex tasks, so the CPU has to do all the donkey work, which produces a lot of heat as a result. The more modern GMA X3100 chip however, *can* handle a lot more of the complex work, therefore the CPU doesn't need to work hard on these tasks, so it remains cooler.

So in short, the better the graphics chip, the less the CPU has to work on graphics and video, the slower the fan needs to operate and therefore it runs quieter.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  7 Mar 2008
Latest post:  25 Jul 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions