Customer Discussions > F1 2012 (PS3) forum

F1 2012 (PS3) - Apprehensive or Excited

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Jul 2012 23:54:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jul 2012 00:05:52 BDT
R. Ratcliffe says:
After the Excellent 2010 Edition, followed by the Absolutely Diabolical 2011 Edition I am interested to see which way people swing when it comes to 2012. Will you wait and see what bugs are bundled with it, or do you have complete faith in Codemasters to deliver the goods this time around.
Myself, personally, I think I will wait. After being heavily disappointed with 2011 my faith and enthusiasm in this title has been slightly diminished.

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 10:22:23 BDT
matt says:
I've got no idea why you thought 2011 was "absolutely diabolical"?! But I am slightly apprehensive about the release of 2012, for different reasons.

What the hell are they going to change to keep the game fresh and exciting! 2011 was an excellently realistic representation of F1 and I really think they'll struggle to improve the realism, especially when it will be released on the same platform 2011 was (no increase in hardware performance).

Although saying that, I'm sure I'll still buy it, hopefully when trailers are released they will convince me that it's worth it!

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 09:54:24 BDT
BlueYakMan says:
If they sort out the PS3 graphics and frame rate issues, lean more towards 2010's grittier graphics, but keep 2011's handling. Then it will be an improvement over both. Also the developer's have said they want 2010's feeling of being able to throw the car round corners at high speed and mix it with 2011's excellent low speed feeling, also you can lock up the wheels in 2012, so all in all it could be absolutely brilliant, or marred by bugs. I'll still buy it though. So I am Excited more than apprehensive.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 20:07:45 BDT
R. Ratcliffe says:
I have to agree with you about 2011. I also thought that the A.I. was also shocking. I've seen a clip from the Devs on Youtube about them talking about something called 'True A.I.' I don't know what this jibberish term is because I though that A.I. should always be the best that you can realistically make it. So, because of this I am very sceptical. This time around I will not be purchasing it on release day. I think I will wait a few weeks and see what reports and reviews come back.
I however would love it to shine.

Posted on 1 Aug 2012 02:19:34 BDT
S. J. Sharp says:
I'm moer interested in what new featuers it has personally moer than the bugs because for the most part both 2010 and 2011 run fine on my machine and the bugs don't really show too much on my copies of the games they've introduced a drivers test thing into this years version but something tells me I'm going to want moer than thsat to make it worth buying

Posted on 9 Aug 2012 10:05:10 BDT
They should take a leaf out of GT5 graphics book, ie make it a solid frame rate and pixel perfect graphics. I wouldn't mind a minorly updated 2011 but with the graphics and frame rate issues sorted out on the ps3 version.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2012 11:17:39 BDT
R. Ratcliffe says:
Again, I couldn't agree more. What Polyphony Digital have done with GT5 makes Codemasters attempt at F1 2011 look like an abortion. GT5's graphics and framerate should be the minimum standard in which all developers should be looking to achieve when creating racing games!

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 08:56:05 BDT
matt says:
Totally agree with the GT5 comments.

But do you guys seriously think that Codemasters can continue to release what is essentially the same game year on year? Clearly there are little tweeks, such as the new seasons car, A.I updates and new physics, but everything else is pretty much the same! It's not like a game like Call of Duty where the story line can change. What worries me is that I'm going to end up paying the best part of £40 for a game that I pretty much already have.

We need to see more realism, for example, full control of the car in the pit lane, better crash physics, A.I from the low end teams retiring more often... the list goes on.

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 17:33:37 BDT
stumm says:
I don't think there's much more they can do with the format unless they include bonus features.

Maybe they should introduce scenario modes going back the last 30 or so years - and include great names like Mansell, Prost, Senna etc in some scenarios with classic 80's turbo f1 cars!!!

Posted on 6 Sep 2012 10:48:59 BDT
I've played f1 games since the n64 and obviously there have been fantastic improvements and I thought the introduction of a safety car would be icing on the cake last year (interesting feature, but needs alot more work). But it made me realize that each game over the last 2 decades has had great little features that if codemasters could piece together would be epic.

-I remember on the old n64 games (i think) there was a challenge mode whereby you would have to recreate (or better) a scenario from the previous season (e.g. Alesi getting a puncture at Monza, so you had to nurse the car round, pit, then get out and try and get back up to 6th, or better. Imagine this year, Perez looking after tyres for 40laps...!). It just added longevity to the game and something different than just 'racing'.
-I remember the old EA games where you had press the pit limiter button to your stop, and then hit the button combination in the pit lane to change your tyres correctly. Make an error and its an extra 2 secs. (very realistic of McLaren this season eh?!)
-I remember some games whereby you unlocked old cars and tracks. (e.g. Senna's old McLaren racing around Jerez was great fun and again, just adds something extra)
-Not all good points though...the career mode seems to be a staple part of f1 games, but it did annoy me on games 5yrs ago when you went from test driver to replacing (at the time) one of the top drivers, instead of starting lower down. HOWEVER now you start lower down and if you win a race, it may be another 2 seasons before you are shown any interest by a big team. Not very realistic. What about racing in gp2 to make the transition to F1 mean something extra? I didnt feel anything from winning my first race on F12011 as it felt like I had done it 100 times before anyway (which i have...geek).

-Out-of-racing activities. The interviews are a nice touch, but get repetitive. The 'rival' option was also fun. But what about the extra things that f1 drivers do. Perhaps an option whereby you had to balance out many options (PR or extra telemetry perhaps?)?
-In-racing activities. Parade laps could be made interesting. What about optional mini games whereby you had to hit the right tyre/brake temp? I would make them optional as I found the R&D objectives very boring after a while. Where have podiums disappeared too?
-Crashes. My word, I played RFactor a few years ago and loved the crashes. Bodywork, wheels, back wing, everything came off! F1 Games for 2 decades have had the same front nose-4 wheels off technology....it's boring. I want complete wrecks if I happen to crash hard. It confuses me how games like Uncharted can be made, yet F1 cars cannot have tyres hanging on by some limp suspension rods.
-Multiplayer. Great that 2011 bought in new multiplayer options. And although you will always get the fools who deliberately crash into you, it is annoying that I seem to get all the penalties! That needs to be sorted.

There is so much scope codemasters can play with, but it annoys me that F1 seems to be turning into FIFA. Limited new advances apart from changing the colours. I think gamers deserve more than that. Essay over!

Posted on 11 Sep 2012 12:13:08 BDT
K. Dennis says:
F1 2011 was good, F1 2012 should be better, my input!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012 19:30:20 BDT
steffan says:
the car gets slowed down when all four wheels leave the track, that is almost enough to put me off this game

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 11:12:54 BDT
P. Snape says:
The 2011 game is visually great (apart from a few levitation issues) and the physics engine is good but it is marred by poor AI and stupid penalties. The number of times I have had laps ruined or races wrecked by AI cars doing 1mph in the middle of the road or exiting the pits in the way, and if you even have the slightest contact with them you get slapped with a penalty for dangerous driving. If they have resolved these issues it will be worth getting the 2012 game but I won't be doing so straight away.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 17:36:31 BDT
Cars have a tendency to do that when you go off the track. If you want a game to reward your incapacity to stay on the track, stick with Need for Speed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  F1 2012 (PS3) forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  20 Jul 2012
Latest post:  22 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
F1 2012 (PS3)
F1 2012 (PS3) by Codemasters Limited (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (143)