on 11 November 2012
This gadget has changed my swims for ever, I now easily do an hour in the pool and still feel energised when I get out. Before I used to be bored within a few minutes but now its difficult to get out!

I was a bit sceptical in getting an electronic device to be used in water as I remember what happened to my mobile phone when jumping into the sea in Ibiza one very early morning - but after having tried the mp3 player in the shower at home my hesitation was gone. There was no shortcut (phew) and the sound quality was fantastic. I even tried unplugging the earphones and flushing watre into the earphone socket, then plugged the earphones in with water still in the earphone socket and the sound was not affected at all. Amazing! This convinced me to take it for a test drive in the pool and once in the water I was sold. Never again would I swim without my exeze. It is just an amazing feeling being in the water, doing the lengths, and listen to my favourite music. I tried putting an audio book on it too and that worked well too although I use it mostly for music.

It sits nicely on the back of my head on my speedo goggle strap and the earloops stays in my ears easily. For security I tuck the cable under my goggles and to minimise the drag. The earphone cable is long enough to reach to the shoulder as I've seen some of my fellow swimmers like to attach their mp3 players there.

I'm using a Mac and my music is in iTunes so when I plug the exeze in then it shows up as an external hard drive and then I just drag the songs over from the iTunes window to the exeze hard drive and that's it.
Upon first use I had to convert some of my music to mp3 format before it would work as all my music was not in mp3 format - I think it was the music that I had purchased in iTunes that was not in mp3 format, but this was easy, I just followed the Apple support article that is mentioned in the description of the exeze.

My complaint is that I wish it would have better support for playlists, but then for this price I can't expect everything I suppose.

I've now started changing the music depending on what training program I'm on, so I create a playlist in iTunes adapted to my traning session, then copy the whole playlist to the mp3 player (select all then drag and drop). (Not forgetting to delete all music from the mp3 player before copying of course, and emptying the Trash).

In summary... highly recommended!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 October 2012
So there I am, the other day, looking to pick up a second replacement set of earphones for one of my all-time favourite Amazon purchases, the original WMR Exeze waterproof MP3 player... and I spot this new design at an introductory offer w a y too sexy to ignore. So I didn't.

As the 1st ever reviewer, and daily user, of the original WMR black waterproof mp3 player (5 seriously golden stars) I should draw your attention to some important similarities... And some important differences, so as to assist your buying decision. Although the short version is - what ever you buy, make sure it's an Exeze

Similarities:
The Exeze Rider is also awesome in sound quality (on land & in water),
In ease of use ( plugs & plays happily with my new MAC as well as my old PC ),
In actually being and staying waterproof (it's shocking how many so called waterproof players fail this basic tech hurdle).

Performance-wise this mp3 is everything it's 5 Star predecessor [still] is, years after being bought. Check out my review for the WMR one for just how revoltingly brilliant these little beauties are at coping with all types of watery environments, inc. hr+ in super-heated Japanese steam rooms.

Differences:
The jack set-up is different on this player and therefore earphones are NOT interchangeable between the Exeze Rider and Exeze WMR designs.
The WMR model has a non-standard screw in jack on the waterproof earphones and ONY Exeze screw-in earphones will fit the unit. This model boasts a standard jack set-up which means I can use it with ANY standard jacked headphones I want - at least when out of the water anyway. You should hear it when paired-up with Bose head candy. B l i s s :)

There is a very handy clip on the back of this model, making it easier to attach to clothing and swimming costumes than the original model; and a sexy new automatic fade in-fade out effect between tracks which I personally like a lot. Oh yes, and a little light that flashes red or green depending upon what the unit's up to. The on/off button is now incorporated into the play/pause button on the front.

I'm not sure if this model has retained the ability to pick random tracks as well as playing in order, which I loved about the original; will need to read the instructions again... But, the battery life is considerably longer, meaning that you won't end up cussing yourself if you ever forget to charge it after each session. It also means you can use it for more urban activities like biking, commuting on the tube; or long cross-country runs and know it'll play all day.

I suspect this new design is a considered response to customer feedback about the original WMR player over the last few years, and it is a credit to Exeze that, by-en-large, what they've tinkered with has resulted in genuinely meaningful & welcome improvements.

I personally prefer the dinky rectangle shape of the original, but love the flexibility afforded by the standard jack & clip on this new model.

Even though my original Exeze waterproof mp3 player will still be going strong for years to come, and I've never hesitated in recommending it to anyone, I'm really chuffed to bits about picking this one up too. Dinky II and I are going to have some wonderful walks around the park together in the rainy, winter days to come.

Dear Review Reader, you might just deserve a waterproof player that's this good.
And if I could talk you into treating yourself to one of these too... I would.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 September 2013
Firstly, from order to delivery was under 24 hours.

Being impatient, I only gave this about an hours charge before heading off to the pool, and loaded up a few hundred songs very easily via windows media player. I'd already tried the different sized ear fittings, so was all set to go when I got there.

I found the sound quality adequate rather than outstanding, but having the correct sized earbuds already fitted, didn't have a problem with water getting in at all, and the sound remained good throughout my hours swim. Easy to operate even with wet hands. Nice and light, clipped to my goggles I didnt even know it was there.

Having something to listen to certainly helped the hour go quickly, and even lowered my lap times as I found myself swimming in time to the music!

Overall, very happy, and glad I didnt go for one of the cheaper ones. This seems very well made and decent quality.
on 5 March 2013
I bought this as I have recently purchased a swim spa and I was only able to swim for about ten minutes before getting bored.

My concern was that the ear pieces would not stay in due to the force of the countercurrent jets, but I needn't have worried, as they remained secure.

The only issue I had was my hair bunching around my ears and dislodging them slightly - as soon as water gets in to your ear you cannot really hear anything at all. I rectified this by tucking hair into goggle strap, which worked well. I think careful use of hair bobbles will eliminate that issue tonight..

I attached the player onto my goggle strap, which was fine, then onto my shoulder strap, which was better ( I am very fussy about goggle placement), without the wires getting into the way.

I swam through an entire album without really realising - time went very quickly. The music also ehanced the cheering up I normally get from a swim, which put me in a great frame of mind for the rest of the evening.

It was easy to add tracks, but there is no shuffle so I can see a playlist-making session coming up soon :)

I have now ordered one of these for my brother who is a long distance swimmer, I was so impressed!
on 19 May 2014
Purchased this for use in the swimming pool and thought it would be an improvement on some of the cheaper options available.

Arrived quickly, and charged up well. Adding music wasn't quite as easy as advertised since the music in iTunes needed converting to MP3 format first. Once this was completed I was ready to try out in the pool.

The earphones were comfortable enough although they didn't stay in place and I had to keep interrupting my swimming to readjust them. This defeated the object of using music to enable me to swim for longer periods.

Once underwater the music quality diminished substantially and in fact the left earphone stopped working the first time I used the product.

I'm hoping to return the item since it does not function as advertised. My advice would be to avoid this product.
on 26 January 2015
This is a good waterproof MP3 player for swimming. I swim daily and the headphones have worked well for the 2 weeks i have had them. They are not the most comfortable buds to wear all day long, but for up to 2 hours i think they are fine. I have never had them fall out of my ears while performing any exercise. I have very odd shaped ears and ear canals and so i sometimes experience a little water get past the bud and so makes the sound from that ear very quiet (almost can't hear anything) but a slight tilt of the head to let the water come out is all that's needed to solve that problem. The buds need getting used to, and you need to apply them firmly in your ears, with a little screw motion to stop water getting past them. I haven't needed to charge them at all yet, which is about 10 hours. They are easy to apply to the goggles, and i have encountered no drag from the wire, which is a good length and stretchy for use when running. The sounds quality is very average outside of water, barely any bass, and rather tiny sounds. Volume is good both above and below water. Sounds louder under water, or just that everything else is quieter. Audiophiles will hate them, however the sound quality is improved under the water. The bass seems more impressive, but again, its not brilliant quality, but i don't expect that from these headphones for the price, and what they're designed to do. Files put onto it must be MP3. Overall, i am happy with it the MP3, and will continue using it. It's great value for money.

Update - After having these headphones for over a month and swimming everyday, I've very pleased at how they've held up. No issues at all, and only needed to charge it twice. I have had one ear bud come off twice, but i'm not sure if it was me not re-attaching them properly after removing them.
on 5 November 2014
Would recommend this product. I swim 3k a week (backstroke) and this MP3 is superb. No nonsense off/on - don't need to put my glasses on as it is so simple. The earphones are good too. Have experience of Speedo MP3, got through three in two years and their earphones are rubbish. Exeze has made me a very happy swimmer.
on 29 September 2013
Fantastic gadget. I love it, very reliable, perfect.This is the third waterproof MP3 player I have tried and it is brilliant.Speedo Aquabeat and splashgear were rubbish continuos problems and had to be returned several times. Exeze has not let me down and I swim every day for 2 hours 7 days a week.
on 19 May 2013
This is my third waterproof MP3 player and so far so good. I swim 5 days a week and the previous purchases have developed a fault within a few weeks. The quality of sound underwater is good and the battery lasts longer than stated. Fingers crossed it out lasts my previous ones!
on 20 December 2012
Better than old version that died after 2 years of daily use. Good sound, earphones leak less and require less adjustment.