Anyone get this "Amazon Exclusive" actually with the Limited edition postcards

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Mar 2008 14:03:17 GMT
Hi, when Warner first released the UK Region 2 2008 Stanley Kubrick Special Edition DVDs on 3 March 2008, Amazon had exclusives advertised as:
A Clockwork Orange (Two Disc Special Edition) with Limited Edition Art Cards (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [1971]
Eyes Wide Shut (Special Edition) with Limited Edition Art Cards (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [1999]
Full Metal Jacket (Deluxe Edition) with Limited Edition Art Cards (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [1987]
The Shining (Special Edition) with Limited Edition Art Cards (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [1980]
2001: A Space Odyssey (Special Edition) with Limited Edition Art Cards(Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk ) [1968]

When I ordered my copies from Amazon on 3 March (release date), all copies had no art cards in them-they were same as the editions one could order from any UK retailer. I queried with Amazon and they set replacement copies for all movies. The second lot of DVDs still had no artcards. When I queried again, they admitted "It seems that this problem is more widespread than we originally thought, so we are unable to send another replacement. We will investigate the matter and try to remedy the situation; however, we cannot guarantee when the error will be fixed." That was 11 March 2008.
Now (13 March) I notice on the website reference to "with Limited Edition Art Cards (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk)" in the title of each release has been removed however, pictures of the artcards still exist within each release product information.
Anyone actually order the Amazon exclusives and get the artcards also? I am curious to know if they ever released the artcards?
Thanks
13 March 2008

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2008 16:39:08 GMT
Si says:
I have just recently brought the new 2001: A Space Odyssey (D079191) from Amazon.co.uk and I didn't get any art cards, although it was advertised on Amazon at the time.
Also, the Audio Only Bonus: 1966 Kubrick Interview Conducted by Jeremy Bernstein listed on the DVD case and advertised on Amazon.co.uk is not on any of the DVD's. Does anyone else have DVD's like this?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2008 14:46:03 BDT
Yes, the same DVD I bought from Amazon also mentions same on packaging (keep case+slipcase) with audio only interview but it is not on the DVD. The HMV Exclusive DVD (different slipcase cover) is the same also, mentions audio only interview on covers but not on disc 2 itself.
If you do want the interview it is definitely on the US Region 1 2disc DVD released in October 2007 as on disc 2 on the second menu it clearly says "11/27/1966 INTERVIEW WITH STANLEY KUBRICK" and it is audio only when you click on it.
FYI, The German R2 steelbook does not list it on the cover or disc. All disc menus are basically the same so it seems for the UK market, Warner used the artwork from the R1 release but sourced R2 disc material which omits the audio interview and forgot to amend the artwork to remove mention of the audio interview on UK release. So nice of Warner to really get several things wrong with these releases.
Anyway, it is on US R1 2007 Special Edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 May 2008 12:51:22 BDT
Siamese says:
I would also like to comment on the audio interview bonus, which is indeed not included on my '2001' special edition DVD. That didn't get on my nerves too much because I was lucky enough to purchase a first run copy of the gorgeous book "The Stanley Kubrick Archives", edited by Alison Castle and published by Taschen, which includes a CD featuring that specific interview (that, incidentally, runs for 76 minutes!).
Nonetheless, I understand that the other fans are upset with that omission and, as Mr. Davies wrote, will have to buy the US R1 edition to listen to Kubrick answering Jeremy Bernstein's questions during that 1966 interview.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2008 20:47:21 BDT
C Vaughan says:
On the 27th of February this year, I pre-ordered "2001: A Space Odyssey (Special Edition) with Limited Edition Art Cards(Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk ) [1968]".
Like you, I didn't receive the cards with the package. However, on the 7th of May, I received an email from Amazon apologising most profusely...
"We are sorry that, due to an unforseeable shortage in supply, there
has been a delay in sending you the promised Amazon.co.uk Art Cards.

We are now in the process of sending any outstanding Art Card packs to
Amazon.co.uk customers, so you should receive your pack shortly. Thank you
for your patience.

Again, we apologise for any inconvenience this delay might have caused you. Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk."

As there was still no sign of them just over a month a later, I sent an email on the 22 June to chase them up. They did reply same day with "Firstly, please allow me to apologise for the issues you have experienced with this item.

I have sent a request to our Fulfilment Centre staff to physically check the item "2001: A Space Odyssey (2 Disc Special Edition) [1968]" to see if this question can be answered more appropriately. As soon as we receive a response we will let you know.

We will contact you again as soon as possible with an update."

A week later and no reply so I chase again - their reply "I have reviewed your account, and I can verify that this issue is currently being investigated by my colleague with the concerned department.

We will revert to you with a comprehensive reply on July 1, 2008."

I didn't get my comprehensive reply on July 1st but by now I didn't really think I would anyway!

They did actually respond on the 4th so only a couple of days late with the reply "I apologise for the delay in responding to your e-mail message.

Please be assured that all of us here are working very hard to provide a thorough, personal reply to each of our customers as quickly as possible.

I have checked with the relevant department and can confirm that the Art Cards will be sent seperately to you.

I hope this answers your question.

I really admire your patience and understanding in this regard."

So yay! The cards will be sent! They will, won't they? Well, as of September 17th, they still hadn't arrived so I emailed again....

Their reply "Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences this would have caused to you. I highly appreciate your patience and understanding in this case.

My previous colleague has already contacted our Fulfilment Centre staff to physically check the item and they have confirmed that Art Card was not included with the item.

However if you are not happy with the purchase of this item you can return it back to us for a complete refund. Any charges that incur for the return will be refunded back to you."

Fantastic! The previous colleague checked and found that they weren't included but emailed and told me that they were and that they would be despatched to me - what sort of game is that?

I feel I have been cheated into buying the DVD in advance of it's release by their dangling of the 'Art Cards - exclusive to Amazon' carrot. I may as well have held on to my money and waited for it to go down in price like it is now - although I suppose I could return what I have and buy another lower priced copy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  14 Mar 2008
Latest post:  18 Sep 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions