Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2014
This book covers a lot of ground, but at times it feels like the authors have taken shortcuts when describing particular features. There are many errors, none of which have been confirmed by the authors or publishers, and some of the answers to the example questions are wrong.

To see the unconfirmed errata submitted by readers, take a look at [...]
on 25 September 2014
Generally I found this book to be quite well organised and relevant. It covers the subjects necessary for the exam in the right amount of detail without straying into unnecessary areas of knowledge. I failed this exam on my first attempt but that wasn't the fault of the book - I was rushing and I skim read too much of it. Now re-reading the book I can see that it really does cover exactly what you need to know.

I'm giving it three stars however because it is peppered with mistakes and typos from start to finish. Seriously, there must be 100 errors in this book, ranging from simple typos to incorrect capitalisation of variable names in code samples (which matters in a case-sensitive language like C#), to hyper-linked references to the wrong figure images, to answers for chapter review questions that aren't even there, to misleading and occasionally outright incorrect statements about the technology.

For the most part these errors won't affect your comprehension of the material for the purpose of sitting the exam, but this is sloppy publishing indeed given that this is the official (and as far as I can tell, only) exam guide for this exam.
on 10 August 2014
This book was not proof-read.

I would have expected Microsoft to spare no expense, and get their book perfect.
Instead it's been published quickly, on the cheap:

- The answers don't match up with the questions.
- Whole paragraphs are out of context.
- Many inaccuracies.

This book is still useful as a starting-point for study, but don't trust it.
on 24 November 2014
This book (hopefully) gives you a general idea of the contents you need to cover to take the exam, but:
- it is full of errors (content errors, layout and paragraph organization errors, errors in the answers of the review section....)
- it is not clear in many topics
- if the you are not already quite confident with some topics this book can easily lead you on the wrong path
So, please: read it (maybe) but do not trust only on it for the exam!
on 12 January 2016
I'm about half way through this book at the moment and it's the most frustrating study book I have every purchased (Yes it's even worse than the 70-480 exam reference for errors and that was atrocious).

I am constantly having to refer to the books errata online and this has only got unconfirmed submissions from users of the book.

The question and answer sections quite often don't match up so I'm left wondering what the correct answers are for some sections and some of the questions are incredibly badly worded and then inconstant with the explanations given for the answers that are marked correct. Even worse some questions are about subjects that are not even explained until a chapter later!

I'm will continue working through this book but I have no faith in it other than a primer for what I actually need to study in more detail.

The authors and publishers should be ashamed of themselves for this book.
on 27 August 2015
This is actually not a bad book in respect to the technical content and alignment to the exam requirements. The bottom line though is that it is absolute chock-full of errors. I mean, I have read A LOT of technical books and you might expect the odd few typos or other formatting errors but this really does beggar belief. It's as though it was never proof read at all.

I would say that the majority of the Q&A sections are erroneous, answers that don't match the question, questions that contain nonsense, at one point an entirely duplicated page and I presume a missing page since the content didn't seem to follow on from the previous page at one point. There are typos ALL OVER THE PLACE, syntax errors, formatting errors, you name it.. In many sections the author kind of just assumes you know what technologies he is using (unit testing frameworks, etc) and the book is written encouraging you to follow along but there is no content to use and the author doesn't really explain what he is doing..

Sadly, there 'aint nothing else out there for this exam so there is little choice if you are planning on taking 487. It's a real shame because if the errors were addressed then it would be a reasonable training guide for this exam. As it is, if you don't know the material well you would need to read a decent book on WCF, EF, Web API, and Azure before attempting the test.

I honestly cannot believe that Microsoft have allowed this material to be published. It's an embarrassment. And I find it peculiar that the publisher has not rectified the severe errors that have been reported for several years without an revised edition; especially for electronic media where there is simply no excuse. Shame on you MS Press!!
on 16 April 2016
Failed the exam (in the mid 600s, so it wasn't an absolute rout). To be fair I pretty much skimmed the book, but I swear there was quite a bit in the exam which wasn't in the book, and this seems to tally with the less favourable reviews being given. By all means buy it, as following this book might well just get you over the line and a 701 on the test, which will in turn save you shelling out another 120 quid, but I think pluralsight will be a better bet.

Same goes for the entertaining, but unfortunately slightly wide (literally) of the mark MVA video:(
on 20 January 2015
This book is very readable, I like the style in which its written. It covers a lot of ground and is a great start for revising for the exam. It is full of errors and some of the sections seem incomplete. I failed the exam first time around, you need to start with this book and then build on the technical detail.
on 30 August 2015
I found this book really helpful. It seemed to cover everything that was in the exam. I know a lot of people didn't get on with it, but it was just what I needed. I'm not a seasoned developer, so my opinion may not count for much, but I would recommend it to anyone studying for the exam.
on 22 April 2016
Shocking proof reading from the very start, for instance the first chapter is about database access and spends it's time using examples based on the test database defined at the start of chapter one. There is NO definition of the database at the start of chapter one, and on it goes.