Everything Oz: The Wizard Book of Makes & Bakes
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£14.94+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 July 2012
*Please note this review - with pictures! - is from my blog, [...]*

I am so excited by this book! It contains everything I'd hoped it would, and much much more. It is beautifully and thoughtfully laid out, with loads of quirky bits to read and get the whole Oz feel. And it's absolutely filled with high-quality, well-explained, creative projects.

First, food!

The book includes lots of delicious-looking recipes, from Aunt Em's French Crullers and Uncle Henry's Cherry Pie, via `yellow brick' Coconut Ices and Bran New Brains Muffins, to the spectacular Over the Rainbow Cake... innocent cream cheese frosting on the outside, but cut into it and you have amazing rainbow-coloured layers. I think this is destined to become a birthday party favourite! It's spectacular! Special mention also goes to the genius Squashed Witch Cupcakes - they are truly inspired.

The Emerald City section is a feast in itself, and would make a great themed party menu; the Glow-in-the-Dark Emerald City Jelly is stunning, and would go well with the Pistachio Popcorn (sounds addictive) and refreshing Green Lemonade. To dress for the occasion, you can make Emerald Glasses and the exquisite jewelled Extravagantly Embellished Emerald Hairpieces. For the full pampering experience, you can even take a trip to Ox Apothecary and whip up a Sleepy-time Salt Scrub with Lavender, a Face Mask of Eternal Youth or the `Put a Brave Face on It' Skin Tonic.

There's also a range of craft projects, from sewing, embroidering, paper craft, Raffia Flowers and even candle-making, to suit a range of skills and time dedication.

For sewing, I love the cute Dorothy's Patchwork Apron, and the Sleepy-Time Eye Mask is gorgeous, and would make a lovely gift. And yes, they tell you how to make Ruby Slippers, too!

Also inspired by the field of poppies scene are lovely paper poppies, and the Raggedy Patchwork Poppy T-shirt shows a simple but striking way of upcycling a t-shirt with a garland of fabric flowers.

I love that there are lots of ideas in here that would make wonderful gifts for children too, sharing the magic of Oz with the next generation. The felt Cowardly Lion Hand Puppet is so cute, and I adore the Little Monkey's Babies Bath Towel, which would be very snuggly for your own little monkey.

And last but not least, my favourite character... Toto! You can make a Toto Cushion, Decorated Dog House, Toto's Dog Jacket and even Toto's Treats - special dog biscuits for your own faithful friend.

There's so much in here that I can't wait to make (and I don't think I've even covered half the book in this review...!), for both myself and my friends. All the patterns / templates etc are included at the end of the book - it couldn't be simpler. A fantastically fun book, and highly recommended for all ages!
on 15 August 2012
The second book from the duo that brought us `Everything Alice', `Everything Oz' takes the reader on a magical journey along the yellow brick road. Written by L Frank Baum in 1900 and released as what would become `the most famous film of all time' in 1939, the Wizard of Oz boasts a world of iconic vintage imagery; all of which comes out to play in this amazing craft book.

There is something in this book for everyone. The cook, the crafter, the expert and the novice......even a certain pair of ruby slippers.The book is scattered with Hannah read-Baldrey's charming illustations and excerpts from the original book aswell as innovative craft projects and recipes to delight friends, family and pets!

Although `Everything Oz' gives you all the tools you need to create the ultimate themed party, many of the projects can be used for other things. The Great Wizards Throne Tent would for example make quite an addition to any boudoir or would turn an outdoor seating area into a luxurious hide-away.

Unlike it's predecessor `Everything Alice' which contained some slightly mad (see what we did there) fashion ideas, the clothing and accessory projects in `Everything Oz' are incredibly wearable, especially the beautiful Poppy T-Shirt, great for using up small pieces of fabric.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this book and it's predecessor `Everything Alice' to anyone.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have previously reviewed Everything Alice on this blog and loved it. When I saw the authors had another book being released this year, I was eagerly awaiting its publication.

In this book we are transported to the Land of Oz and Dorothy's trip along the Yellow Brick Road to visit the Wiz. Now I have an added love of this, each festive period my husband loves watching the movie and when I was at high school, I performed in the school's production of The Wiz, which was an adaptation of the famous classic and flicking through this book bought back happy memories of these.

The book follows a similar format to Everything Alice and starts with a comprehensive list of both craft and cookery essentials.

There are so many different types of crafting projects included in this book, something for anyone who loves crafting or cooking.

The book starts with a dress up Dorothy and Toto rag doll to make, delicious looking cakes, ideas for an Oz inspired party and great ideas for the Toto's in anyone life. There are some beautiful emerald hairpieces to make in the book - I am sure my daughter would love these and this is one project I will definitely be looking at trying in the future. I also like the dangling scarecrow and twisting tin man puppets which I will be pulling out on a rainy day for my two children to try - they look great!

There are projects suitable for all levels of crafter and all ages of crafter. It would be a great book to add to your book shelf and could be got out on a rainy day to be dipped into for a rainy day project.

There are lots of templates included in the back of the book and a directory of suppliers and inspiration ideas for budding artists.

The book is jam packed with ideas and projects for all ages and abilities and lots of the projects could be adapted to include what you have in the home or can get. The projects in the book could be used to make gifts for others or to be used for fund raising events.

In summary, it is another fantastic book from Leech and Read-Baldrey, jam packed with fantastic projects which will transport you to the wonderful land of Oz.
on 7 August 2012
So delighted with this book, it's just as brilliant as 'Everything Alice.' Would make a great present for anyone into crafting. All of the craft ideas are lovely. Hope there will be another book in the 'Everything...' series!!!
on 5 September 2012
There's no place like home? Well with Everything Oz, your home could be Oz-ed! This is the second book by Christine Leech and Hannah Read-Baldrey, the first being the lovely Everything Alice. There are some very cute softies to make including a Dorothy rag doll, complete with pinny, basket and lion mask. Puppets, peg dolls, character paper dolls, even a full size scarecrow - handy if you have the odd field of corn! The bran new brains muffins are a brilliant, delicious and easy to bake breakfast muffin. There is a very cute pinny to wear while conjuring up all the lovely bakes in the book. Everything Oz is a fun book for children and adults, a great Christmas gift or perfect accompaniment for a visit to The London Palladium. And maybe a slice of cake after?
on 8 September 2012
This may not be the most comprehensive of craft books but it is absolutely beautiful and great fun. Some of the ideas are widely available elsewhere but the authors have shown how they can be reinterpreted with some Oz dust to inspire the Oz or Wicked fan. I will admit I haven't made anything from this book yet but even so I've really enjoyed just looking at it and I promise I'll make some things soon!
I would hesitate to buy this for a serious crafter but it would be a beautiful gift for the fan who loves all Oz. I brought it as a gift for myself (and an inspiration for my teaching) and I'm delighted with it and would buy more as presents.
on 30 August 2014
I have this book and the Alice book and of the two I like this one the best.

There are only two Dorothy things in the book (only three Alice's in EA), but one of them is a dress up Dorothy rag doll, something I felt was missing in the other book as there was no Alice doll.

The other Dorothy is a gift tag, and again there is the same problem of having to photocopy the pages, which I believe will badly damage the spine of the book.

However I don't mind so much that the leading lady isn't featured a little more prominently in this book, as it's Everything Oz, not Everything Dorothy, and the other characters get a lot more attention in this one than the Wonderland Characters did in Alice.

So beside the Dress Up Dorothy (complete with Toto, apron and lion mask) we have a Toto Cushion, a Glinda Peg Doll, Munchkin Place Cards, a Scarecrow to make, a dancing Tin Man and Scarecrow (copy and paste onto card), a hand puppet Lion, Toto's Dog House (decorate an actual kennel) and Dog Jacket to make for your own dog, Witch Candles to make, Flying Monkey Party Invitations, and a Flying Monkey Bath Towel (for babies, so you can have your own bath time monkey of evil).

So plenty of other characters are involved in the more makey-makes.

There seem to be a lot more recipes in this book as well. Aunt Em's French Crullers look delicious, as does Uncle Henry's Cherry Pie. Cyclone Cupcakes with meringue cyclones look really clever and the upside down Squashed Witch Cupcakes, complete with sticking out witches legs are really sweet. There's also a recipe for Box 'o' Bricks Coconut Ice, which looks like the bricks in the Yellow Brick Road. The Bran New Brains Bran Muffin's are more of a tenuous link with their play on words, but they still look tasty. As does the Chocolate Oil Silver Nut Sundae, again a tenuous link to the subject. There's a very big Over The Rainbow cake to make, which is actually made up of rainbow coloured layers of sponge. And I'm quite keen to try the Glow In the Dark Emerald City Jelly. Iced Gem Cookies, Pistachio Popcorn, Green Lemonade and Baum's Shortbread Buttons make up the rest of the Emerald City goodies and all look really good and effective. Even Toto isn't left out, as there's a recipe for dog biscuits too.

There are other things to make less linked to the characters, or at least, not actually featuring them although they might be in the name. An Over the Rainbow Frill Curtain, which does require you to buy a ready made curtain to customise. A blue bird wreath to hang on a door or wall. A patchwork apron. A pair of ruby slippers, made from a pair of cheap shoes which you spray paint and glue on sequins. Munchkin Hat Egg Cosies made from felt. A raffia flower basket (buy the basket, make the lining and flowers to decorate). The Tin Woodman's Heart Garland, which is a set of hearts made from tin and hung from garden twine. Tin Can Lanterns, made with tin cans pierced with holes to make initials and shapes. Giant Rosettes for Courage, made from paper and used as hanging decorations. Big Paper Poppies. A poppy t-shirt (buy the t-shirt, make a collar of fabric poppies for it). An embroidered poppy eye mask for sleeping in. A patchwork picnic set (blanket and seat pads) which have Toto and a house on them but could still be a bit more Oz-y. Instructions to make an emerald green popcorn tub and glasses (again, photocopy and stick to card). A couple of emerald hair pieces which look quite effective with green beads and gold braid. The Great Wizard's Throne Tent, which is a kind of draped canopy thing to hang from the ceiling. The Amazing Star of Oz, which uses what look like christmas lights and foam board to make a big standing or wall hanging star light. A balloon mobile made from card.

There's a small section called The Oz Apothecary which tells you how to make a salt scrub, a face mask and a skin tonic.

And a couple of simple quiz type things.

To me it feels like this second book has a little more about it than the Alice one. I liked it and I think I will be using some of it, if not to make exactly the things in it then as inspiration for my own Oz-y makes.
on 15 July 2012
Love this follow up to Everything Alice. Lots of diverse ideas from beauty products through kids clothing to fabulous cupcakes. The layout is lovely with great fonts and lots of hand done illustrations. Not having much of an imagination myself I can't figure out how they come up with such a diverse range of ideas! I'm more of a baker than a crafter so after looking at all the lovely craft ideas I think I'll end up making the rainbow cake & the cyclone cupcakes!
on 5 September 2012
The book is very very beautiful, very well written, i think it would make a nice present for anyone who loves the Wizard of OZ! My only dissapointment was that there was more cooking recipes than sewing, and im not much of a cook! But still plenty of good ideas, very clear instructions

I buy a lot of craft books, and this one is very modern and rather light heated
Smiles all round
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book is the follow up to the very successful Everything Alice, by the same authors. It follows the same format as the first book; it is a quirky selection of mixed craft projects which include sewing, paper crafts and baking.

Allow yourself to be transported to the bright, colourful and barmy world of Oz. You will find projects like squashed witch cupcakes, munchkin hat egg cosies, the cowardly lion hand puppet, a toto cushion and a pretty patchwork picnic set. There is beautiful photography and illustrations throughout the book; a lot of the projects also have step by step photos to guide you too.

This is another fabulous and fun book from Christine and Hannah, looking forward to seeing what they come up with next.

This review also appears on The Sewing Directory.