Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 March 2008
This is one of the only books that I have purchased and thought that every garment in the book was wearable not just by the young but by every age group. I am very happy with the book and it is refreshing to have patterns shaped for the curvy lady with bust shapings if desired. I have made one from the book already and will work my way through it. It really lives up to it's name of every day crochet. It is not full of impractical openwork purely decorative items but sweaters, tops and jackets that could be worn equally to work or play. Crocheting from the top down gives scope for adaptation in length of body and sleeves. The only drawback for me is the US terminology and yarns but UK equivalents can be found by tension swatching.
One of the best crochet books that I have bought.
22 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2009
I am really pleased with this book.`Although there are 19 patterns for tops/cardigans, many of them are variations on a basic pattern. Although this means you have to jump from page to page a little, it also means that once you have crocheted one pattern, you have the hang of many others. I particularly like "Runaround"- a short sleeved, crew necked jumper which looked really good on my daughter and "Mei-mei" (the one on the cover) -I have made this about 5 times already - as soon as I have made one mei-mei, someone else sees it and asks if I can make them one! As it is quick to make and only takes less than 200 grams of DK yarn I am happy to oblige.
This book is about the only book I have ever found with realistic, "wearable" crochet garments in it!
on 20 July 2009
This book is brilliant, I have already crocheted the beautiful somnabulista dress twice one of for each of my teenage daughters - you can make these in a couple of days. i am now working on the short sleeved top. The patterns are really easy to follow once you get the hang of how they are set out and so far I have had no problems with any errors. I can see me making several more of the tops from this book and more of the ones I've already made. An absolute must have, the most inspiring and useful crochet book I've ever seen (though if you are an absolute beginner you will need to look elsewhere for how to do the various stitches).
on 15 March 2010
This is a great book, once you get used to the way it is presented. Many of the patterns are variations on a theme, and rather than repeat detailed instructions you are told to "work body as per pattern XX on page YY". The disadvantage of this approach is that you will be turning back and forth in the book several times. However, the great advantage is that once you have mastered a particular yoke or body pattern, you can be confident that you can use it again in several other designs. There is a wide range of sizes, and the top-down construction makes it easy to adjust if necessary. The designs are genuinely wearable and satisfying to make.

NOTE - The book is written using American crochet terminology, so you will need to be 'bi-lingual' in crochet, or find yourself one of the many stitch conversion guides on the internet.
on 27 August 2010
I really like this book. Though I've been able to do basic crochet for years I've only ever used it to finish garments or to add length to items and have never followed a crochet pattern. So, whilst not a beginner neither am I an intermediate crocheter. This book was bought as a bit of a gamble and because I am intrigued by working downwards and not having to do any sewing up if I can avoid it and this is one gamble that has really paid off. I've successfully and quickly finished my first garment - Galena - and to say I'm pleased with the finished article is a huge understatement it fits well and exactly how I wanted it to fit which, I believe, is Doris Chan's particular gift with this book.

This is a book you need to read, it is necessary to thoroughly read, as the author suggests you do, her Introduction and Chapter 1, to read the individual chapter advisory notes and to read through the pattern you are doing before you start particularly if you are not that experienced. The patterns at first sight looked daunting - they are covering many sizes - but with good, clear, photographs of the finished items to urge me on and with a little concentration and attention to detail at the beginning I soon realised how well written and quite simple they were to follow as I started to work my way through.

I thoroughly recommend this book as an extension to basic how to crochet books.
on 12 June 2009
I bought this book on the 5 star reviews and I have not been disappointed
It is American and by the well known crochet designer Doris Chan.
Usually American designs are so often done in chunky/bulky yarns in double(single) crochet resulting in a hard unyeilding fabric
Joy! nothing thicker here than double knitting (or #4 for the USA)
The patterns are all worked from the top down and all in a shell pattern
This makes for unobtrusive shaping. (Bust shaping included too, good!)Slight shame that there is no other stitch pattern but I can live with that, perhaps the yarn can be then an important part of the design.
The yarns are American but brand names are given with yardage so substituting can be done.
All designs go from 30ish inches bust to 50ish some to 60 inch, another advantage of the American designers they have to cater for the larger lady!!
Really good designs cardigans,bolero,jumpers,coats and some belts to add if wanted. Even instructions to make your own button & bead 'cuff' links to close the garments.
I can see me making lots of these designs
Well done Doris a great book.
on 24 June 2010
I have an extensive library of crochet books, most of which have at best two items in it I would make. This is an exception, I would wear almost every design in this book. Every item is made top down in a shell pattern, giving the clothes good stretch and drape. The instructions are simple enough- do not try to think your way through it, just do what she tells you and it comes out just fine! Highly recommended.
on 12 August 2010
The book should have a warning on the front cover. Doris Chan has developed her own methodology which exploits the possibilities that crochet presents, rather than aping knitting. Once you have seen the potential of this method, you may find that you are spoilt; you will no longer be content to slog away at old style crochet patterns that require you to make individual pieces of fabric, from the bottom up, and then sew them all together. Your old favourite patterns will be discarded.

When we knit, we are confined to the parameters set by needles. One of the great advantages of crochet is that you can go in any direction you like. In the book, Doris Chan has us starting with a short chain at the neck of a garment and working down. Sleeves sprout organically form the work. The only sewing that is required is to weave in the ends (isn't that enough?). You will be able to try the work on as you go, thus avoiding the bitter disappointment of making a whole garment, only to discover that you have made the wrong size.

I must admit that it took me sometime to adjust to this way of working. I now realise that some of my problems were caused by not believing that I was doing the right thing. My advice is to do exactly what the pattern instructions tell you to do. If you are really stuck, the writer has posted some pictures of work in progress on her website, so as to reassure you that you are on the right lines.
on 14 September 2011
I have owned this book for about six months and have made several items from it.
Good things: there are several different options for bust and waist shaping, and variety in neck openings etc. there is a little variety in yarn weight.
Not so good things: The pattern stitch used is always a shell pattern - there are two or three variations of shell only. The pattens are quite difficult to read - I know others have said this, and I do find myself reading and re-reading the pattern to get a sense of what is needed, even though i have been crocheting for years and would call myself an experienced crocheter.
The biggest plus is that you do end up with some very usefula nd wearable items, and in that sense, the book does fulfil the promise of the title and provide you with 'everyday' crocheted garments.
on 12 May 2010
I love the patterns in this and the idea that you can adapt each pattern into different lengths/sleeve styles etc.

However, I did not find the patterns easy to follow; I am certainly not a beginner but still maybe it is just me?

I would say you must be an advanced crocheter to get any really use out of this book.