Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

Format: DVD|Change

on 12 September 2004
A round of applause to Drew Barrymore please. Once again she will blow you away in this wonderful romance.
The story, as the title says, is based on Cinderella, already a great story. Barrymore plays Danielle, who IS Cinderella. And with Angelica Huston taking the roll of Baroness Rodmilla, the evil step mother, two ugly step-sisters (or not-so-ugly in their case, particularly Megan Dodds' character) and the rather delectable Prince Henry (Dougray Scott) the cast is complete.
We all know the story, so I will not bother repeating it. But there are some surprising twists and turns, with an appearance form Leonardo Di Vinci in the place of a fairy godmother. This film made me laugh, it made me cry and it made me want Danielle and Henry to finally have their happy ending. And when you care about the characters you know a film is good.
Danielle is very much the active protagonist, although hindered by several factors, and creates a new breed of fairytale damsel along with 'Shrek's' Princess Fiona. She can defend herself and, although he does try, Prince Henry's rescue attempts are rarely needed. Angelica Huston is also superb, and her dirty looks could freeze flames.
Barrymore's accent does get a bit wearing by the end of the film, but it does not take away from the overall effect. This effect being that it is a wonderful film which should not be overlooked just because many may think it too sentimental. Don't be deceived.
on 8 April 2003
For me this is a fantastic film, it is a wonderful story that keeps to the basic story of Cinderella but with differences that make it more realistic rather than just a fairytale. The charactors are wonderful and the actors/actresses are perfect in the parts they play. Cindrella/Danielle played by Drew Barrymore is indepent and outspoken often letting her mouth run away with her and the Prince played by Dougray Scott gives almost as good as he gets! and Leonard D'Vinci is a funny character who loosly takes on the role of the Fairy Godmother. This is one of my favorite films romantic, funny and sad in parts but of course with a happy ending.
i've lost count on how many times i've watched it, it is a perfect feel-good film
Highly recommended for anyone who likes fairy tales!
on 3 July 2000
Absolutely wonderful, a film for all ages. I've seen it 6 times and I don't think I will ever tire of it. Drew shines in a role custom made for her and she has a very strong chemistry with the gorgeous Dougray, who contributes a well balanced performance as the troubled Crown Prince of France. Their romance is very affecting. Anjelica also registers strongly in a role that could easily have been tipped into caricature by a lesser actress. The supporting cast, especially Megan Dodds & Melanie Lynskey as the stepsisters and Timothy West & Judy Parfitt as the King and Queen of France are also faultless. Ignore the Empire review as has been previously suggested, they probably had a bad day! The music and costumes finally add to the mix. It may not be Citizen Kane, but do we want it to be? Just lose yourself in this piece of magic. Who needs pumpkins?
on 2 February 2005
I fell in love with this film as soon as I saw it. I am not going to go into too much detail as I would not want to ruin the story for anyone who has not seen it. Drew Barrymore is so wonderful and really likeable in this film, as with all her films. And it is so nice to see a Cinderella who has a strong character: the scene where they are attacked by robbers is fantastic. Her wicked stepmother is truly wicked,the stepsister is spiteful and evil and I thought the part was acted really well. Admittedly, the film is cheesy at times and definately for girlie nights in rather than watching with your boyfriend or whatever, but that is why it is so brilliant. You get to look at pretty dresses (especially the one Barrymore wears for the masque which is incredible and I'm extremely jealous), fantastise about becoming a princess and have your heart thoroughly warmed through!
on 22 November 2007
What a WONDERFULL Movie.

I bought the DVD of this movie in a Boxed Set of 3 Drew Barrymore movies, and am pleased to say that I have found it the BEST of the collection.

Drew Barrymore is PERFECTLY CAST as Dannielle, the "Cinderella" Character in this story, and portrays the role to perfection. ...This is Drew Barrymore at ger 16th Centuary BEST.

Broken hearted over the loss of her father, Dannielle finds herself condemmed to be a servant to her kaniving Step-Mother for many years, until she befriends the Crown-Prince. It is then that her life begins to chamge.

This is, as can be seen from the storyline, the Cinderella Story without the Magic and the Fairy-Godmother. This is that same story told, through the life of Dannielle, straight, with nothing special added. In fact, the major difference is that Dannielle actually meets the Crown-Prince some time before the Masked Ball; at which, her Step-Mother lets on the the Prince exactly who Danielle is, getting her rejected by him: something he later regrets.

As I have said: This movie is Drew Barrymore at her VERY BEST, aided and abbetted by good acting from the remainder of the cast. I can happily recommend this movie to ANYONE who has not yet seen it.

I have rated this movie with 5 stars ( 10/10 ), and only wish I could have given it MORE.

If you don't already have this movie in you collection, GET IT: YOU'LL LOVE IT!
on 14 May 2000
I was wary of this film because I assumed, as many have, that it would simply be an awful "PC" (politically correct) version of Cinderella. Boy was I surprised! Instead of sticking close to the well-known version of the story, the film turns Cinderella on its head, and instead of unreal elements of a fairy tale, we are given a tale that could have actually happened, but its roots ensure that the tale has a magical quality. The acting is superb, especially Dougray Scott (who I haven't seen since the Crow Road) and Anjelica Huston. (NB I liked the fact that the Prince was still open to the wiles of Margurite). It was romantic without the air of a fairy tale. There was no need to make Cinderella the most beautiful, or the step-sisters ugly, it slipped together wonderfully, and I LOVED IT!
This is a wonderful movie. The premise may be cliché, but this is much, much more than just another "Cinderella" movie. Its effects are really quite magical--it will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and it will totally immerse you in its spell. If you are human, it will produce a lump in your throat that will remain there for hours. Some people might call this a "woman's" movie, but I, as a man, will proclaim that it really touches my heart every time I watch it, and I freely admit that it does bring tears to my eyes. I need not go into detail describing the plot--it is a somewhat modernized Cinderella story, replete with the evil stepmother, charming prince, and angelic, mistreated heroine. Instead of a fairy godmother, there is Leonardo da Vinci--an unexpected but brilliant scripting decision, I feel. There are no magic pumpkins turning into horses and carriages, but there is magic; it is the magic of true love.
The entire cast is superb, particularly Anjelica Huston as the evil stepmother, but all of them are overshadowed by Drew Barrymore. Anyone who does not feel that Drew Barrymore is one of the greatest actresses of this and any other generation has obviously not seen this movie. I love all of Drew's movies, but I really believe this movie represents her finest performance. Even down to the most unimportant nuances of acting, she is simply brilliant. She is equally convincing as a peasant in the field as she is a royal courtier among the nobility of France. The emotion she is able to express to the audience is deep and amazingly real. I really can't say enough about her performance here.
All I can do is encourage you to experience this movie. I believe you will want to watch it more than once; it is just as fresh and moving the second and third time as it is the first. Don't dismiss it as a "sappy love story" or think its 16th century setting will make it hard to relate to. This is a story as old as time itself, really, and it is a story that will always be relevant to humankind. It celebrates the power of true love and shows all of us that dreams can indeed come true.
on 8 December 2000
This romantic film is wonderful Drew Barrymore as the poor servant girl falling for the dashing but priviledged Dougray Scott (swoon)as Prince Henry is so sweet, it is a fairytale that you know just has to work. Anjelica Houston as the scheming stepmother is truly put in her place at the end. A beautiful film that has you wishing you were in it for real.
on 11 May 2000
A story where the heroine isn't waiting for a man to come and save her! Hurray - what a wonderful message to send to children, girls can grow up and have it all and boys can grow up not having to save them. This film stays true to the original story, while incorporate some other interesting elements. Drew Barrymore's performance proves how talented she really is - wonderfully believable as this character. Angelica Houston is excellent as the "wicked" step mother. I would recommend this film to children and adults alike - what a refreshing change to the norm.
on 4 May 2008
This is a visually stunning fairytale movie with an intelligent and beautiful heroine who doesn't need saving and a very charming prince who's got some learning to do. A true feel good movie. :)