Size: 1 Pack|Change
Price:£2.51+ Free shipping

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 January 2012
22nd March 2014: Well .. I said that I would update my review once I had sampled the new formula, so here it is. The outer packaging looks largely the same, with the exception of the printed product descriptions, and ingredients, outlined below for those of you who are interested.

BE WARNED: the new formula is still being sold in metal tubes, not plastic tubes like I had read in some other online reviews. So if you want to stock up on the old formula, you will need to check carefully with the seller that you will get exactly what you expect (ask them to confirm the ingredients, for example). I suggest that you do NOT want to stock up a supply of the new formula until you have tried it.

OLD FORMULATION INGREDIENTS:
Dicalcium phosphate, Aqua, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Aroma, Sodium Laurel Sulphate, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Silicate, Carrageenan, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Saccharin, Simethicone, CI 45430, +/- Sodium Hydroxide.

NEW FORMULATION INGREDIENTS:
Dicalcium Phosphate DIHYDRATE, Aqua, Sorbitol, Glycerin, METHYL SALICYLATE, Sodium Laurel Sulhate, CI77891, Carrageenan, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Silicate, HYDRATED SILICA, THYMOL, Sodium Saccharin, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, MENTHOL, CI14720

And what is the net effect of these changes? Sadly the new formulation Euthymol is a mere shadow of its former self. NONE of the changes made are for the betterment of the product, however I suppose that two small mercies are that it still contains thymol (mysteriously not mentioned on the old formulation ingredients list) and remains fluoride-free. All changes seem to have been made in the interests of Johnson & Johnson, not the end consumer.

I still have some tubes of the old formula, therefore I had the opportunity to compare old and new directly side-by-side. Below are my conclusions:

1) The bright pink colour is gone, replaced with a significantly less appealing darker 'sludgey' pink colour. Think 'whoopee-cushion pink' and there you have it.

2) The consistency of the new formulation is slightly more liquid, and less foamy when brushing. I would describe it as slimy. After brushing, I found that the new formulation left my teeth and mouth with an unpleasant greasy/oily feeling, which only disappeared after eating. I suspect this change has been made so that the new formulation isn't as long-lasting as the old formulation, meaning more money for Johnson & Johnson as buying frequency increases.

3) The taste of the new formula I reckon is not even one third of its former strength. My fear expressed previously, that Johnson & Johnson would manipulate the formula to try and create something a little more palatable to the mass market, has come to pass.
Using the new formulation Euthymol is now like brushing your teeth with any old toothpaste (i.e., mediocre), and you can no longer expect that bracing sort of strong antiseptic taste that we loved about the old formula. However, I note that Johnson & Johnson still have the cheek to brag about the 'strong taste' on the packaging of the new formulation.

4) One key 'unique selling point' of the old formula Euthymol, was how it left your mouth and teeth with a long-lasting fresh and squeaky-clean aftertaste. The new formulation is simply a great disappointment in this regard, and the new mild taste wears off quickly.

5) And the final insult? The price of this new Euthymol seems to have increased, it is now selling at £2 per tube in my local supermarket, compared to £1.80 for the old formulation.

I hope that the longer-term advantages of using Euthymol, in terms of preventing tooth decay/gum disease, are the same, but only time will tell that, and meantime I have found the changes to Euthymol to be so disappointing that I am now in the market for an alternative toothpaste.

I have changed my rating of this product, from the previous 5 star excellence of the old formula, to a 3 star rating for the new formulation, befitting its new mediocrity.

Shame on Johnson & Johnson, who have managed to ruin a once-great product.
4444 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2014
What can I say?? Usual toothpaste I have used for years, grossly over priced. Probably the very last one I will ever buy. Really can't understand this astronomical price hike. Will be very economical with the one I have while I look around for another brand.
on 20 March 2016
Received this item to find it was out of date in two months which wasn't mentioned in the listing. I was given a refund but half of it will get wasted as there is only me who uses it and I use it in conjunction with another toothpaste. I did prefer the old version and although it came in a metal tube it is definitely the updates ones which aren't as nice. It still tastes of tcp but isn't overly strong. Much preferred the original ingredients as hey seemed to be a bit more natural.ni would advice you to email the seller and check the expiry dates before ordering this item to prevent disappointment.
on 20 November 2013
I have used Euthymol exclusively since around 1950 when a sample tin,(in powder form in those days)was delivered through the door. Now, at the age of 73 and having to suffer the loss of good friends through advancing age I feel that here is another good friend doing a nosedive. Incidentally, have I set a record for faithful loyalty to this Johnson and Johnson product?? If the product was a slow seller perhaps it could have been given a boost by the marketing department. Look at all the supportive and appreciative comments written in these reviews.
on 24 July 2013
My mum encouraged me to use Euthymol toothpaste after I had my braces taken off. As they made my teeth quite discoloured and it was getting me down. To my amazement it not only makes my mouth feel fresher than ever- it has completely whitened them :O I never ever thought I'd have white teeth again... After all the other pointless products I've tried to whiten my teeth with and have done nothing!
I can not recommend this toothpaste enough :) :) will be using it forever!!
on 10 June 2016
Having used a myriad of toothpastes throughout the years, I eventually came across Euthymol and was surprised that more people didn't know about it. A super effective fluoride-free toothpaste, whether or not you care about 'fluoride-free', this stuff is excellent and leaves your teeth feeling clean for hours. Somewhat 'strong' in sensation and taste (which you get used to - find it enjoyable now), it's brilliant for teeth and gums, actually making a visible difference which other toothpastes fail to do. I've had an on-off bleeding gum issue, but using Euthymol keeps the issue at bay. It also prevents the 'white spot on teeth' issue I suffer from when I use fluoride toothpastes. I have gone back and forth, and find myself returning to Euthymol every time.

Also, the packaging is an absolute dream; vintage and metal tube, what's not to love? Anything in a squeezy metal tube is a winner!
on 20 October 2011
I have used this for a while and love it. I started using it after reading that it can help prevent mouth ulcers and I haven't had an ulcer since I started using it. Highly recommended.
on 2 February 2014
I have used Euthymol for years and am being very mean with the amount I use in case it runs out before Euthymol is back on the chemists' shelves, especially as on Amazon it was about 3 times the usual price.
on 23 December 2009
this herbal toothpaste is the best i have ever used.been using it for the past 4 yrs and it works wonders.highly recommended.
on 7 December 2013
All my family have used Euthymol and none of them have had false teeth. Leaves your teeth sparkling white and breath fresh. Flouride free and lasts for ages.