Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 August 2008
This book is the course text for the Open University ethnography module, D844, and it's one of the few textbooks which I've found truly enjoyable to read. It's a great introduction to ethnography (which I've never studied before), and is very thorough, deep and detailed, without at any point becoming too dry. Hammersley and Atkinson really explain the concepts tackled, and never fall into the trap of merely scratching the surface and then moving on (a textbook trait which I find infuriating!).

There are many illustrative examples taken from a diverse range of previous ethnographic studies, so that theory and practice are linked. This book is clear, the authors' enthusiasm comes across by the bucketful, and most importantly this gives an excellent grounding in the nature, practicalities and possibilities of ethnographic research. If only all textbooks could be like this!
on 3 January 2013
For anyone who is about to undertake an ethnographic piece of research this is the book to get. It is not a prescriptive manual, instead it gives you food for thought on all aspects of ethnographic research. This is the book that you will refer to again and again.
on 24 March 2015
Great book - A really good buy and an excellent research book
on 16 March 2015
Great condition, value for money
on 19 February 2015
Came in useful for my studies
on 6 June 2012
This is the review for the kindle edition, which I bought as it was more convenient than a text book, and would allow me to highlight text etc for usage as quotes etc. However it appears that it doesn't contain page numbers, so as such if a quote is required, it is impossible to reference this correctly which will require the use of the book itself. I've no idea what the textbook itself is like as I haven't yet read it, (its required as part of my course as someone has already mentioned) but please bear this in mind before purchasing the kindle version
on 14 October 2011
I was amazed how fast the book came to me in Germany from UK. The service was very efficient! I will definitely use Amazon.co.UK whenever I am in Europe!