Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 May 2009
I received this book yesterday and devoured it all in one sitting. (Which is quite a feat, considering that it is 750 pages long and stuffed with technical information.)
The author opens up a whole world of possibilities in the use of zbrush and even though a lot of it is incredibly intimidating for the novice 3D artist, it is written in an encouraging and inspirational way that makes you believe that anything is possible.
Absolutely brilliant!
on 26 March 2009
I made the stupid mistake of buying (and subsequently returning) 'Introducing ZBrush' by Eric Keller. I wish to christ I'd got 'Essential Zbrush' to begin with!

Anyways, I just recieved the book today and am well chuffed with it and that's putting it mildly! So far I've only read the first three chapters and had a bit of a skim through the rest of the book, but even from this brief overview it's instantly obvious that Wayne Robson has a rare and special gift of teaching you rarely encounter.

Everything is set out beautifully, and is written in a very relaxed and honest style that puts you at ease and doesn't make tasks seem overly complicated or insurmountable, more to the point, it makes them enjoyable. Not a word of jargon is used and all 3D related terminology (UV's, Normal Maps, Displacement Maps etc) is explained so that even a total novice such as myself can at least get the gist of them. Considering this is essentially a text book/user manual, Wayne has still somehow managed to make it a joy to read instead of a chore.

I was lucky enough to get this on Amazon.uk for less than £20 (price has risen slightly since) but after now getting my hands on the book, I'd have gladly paid even the £29.99 RRP

My only slight criticism is the sound record levels on the accompanying DVD tutorials were a bit to high at the time of recording, and as a result there is a bit of distortion of Waynes voice, although you can still always understand him well enough ;-) Shouldn't complain really, as most other companies (Gnomon, Digital Tutors and the like) would be releasing just the DVD alone for the same asking price.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit gushy, but like I said previously, I'm exremely chuffed with the book.

Ignore the rest, this is the best! :-D
on 14 October 2008
This book is quite simply the best, and most in depth tutorial on the use of Zbrush available anywhere. No matter at what level you use the software, whether professionally or not you are certain to learn something new. A special mention must be made of the user friendly style, and layout of the book, as something as detailed as this could have easily been bogged down in jargon.
on 27 December 2010
Having worked through this I can say that this is a good book to start learning Zbrush with (provided you've already worked through the beginner's tutorials available on Pixologic's website). The workflow is clearly laid out and gives you a complete start to finish example of how to create a sculpture. However, the book is a bit dated. Zmapper is no longer a feature in ZB4 and a variety of new modifications and plug-ins have become available since publication. This is of course to be expected with cutting edge, continuously evolving, industry software. If I was looking to get a good starting book again it'd be something more recent than this.

The other thing that bothered me was the fact that the illustrations aren't in colour. This doesn't hamper the modelling sections of the book so much, but illustrations in the polypainting and texturing parts are pretty much useless due to this.
on 14 December 2009
Really helpful book on Zbrush (3.1 though, but still most of it applies to 3.5). Much much better than Introducing Zbrush. The author now uses Mudbox... very tempting to learn that too!
on 5 May 2013
Came across the author when I was starting going through 3D World. ZBrush Essentials. I loved his clear and easy to follow tutorial. Ordered the book..... excellent.

Although second hand, the book and did were in very good condition as described..... in fact I would have described it as new! Delivery was fast and secure. Price was outstanding. Fantastic service. A++
on 6 October 2008
Take into consideration that this is written by one of the industries best and most respected 3D artists there is, IMHO, and you know you're onto a winner. To be taught by this guy at this price is an offer that can't be missed. Highly recomended, you'd be a fool not to buy this!
on 28 May 2009
This one got me doing things... I don't have any 3D background, my thing is illustration, traditional or digital, but at this point I also wanted to do something in 3D. I've been drawing a lot for 3D studios and sometimes its hard to make the 3D guys understand some details, forms, etc of what is still in 2D, so I figured that if there is a tool that allows me to "draw things in 3D", and that would be something like this ZBrush... a digital sculpting application... anyway, I have other books on ZBrush and saw a lot of tuturials and to tell the truth, this was the book that got my work flowing on 3D ...