Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 October 2005
This book provides an overview of the various components of the internet and suggests how these might be used by nursing students, and others new to the internet, to communicate and find relevant information. Sections include an overview of health and the net, ways of getting online and using the world wide web, email and newsgroups, and searching of the web and common health databases.
Rather than being a textbook it is a collection of worksheets and exercises, prepared with students of a particular college of nursing in mind, and this detracts slightly from its usefulness in other colleges or for users connecting to the Internet from home. The text is generally clear and any technical terms explained, although some of the screenshots from computer screens could be clearer. The contents, appendices, glossary and index are useful in quickly finding the relevant area, and provide checklists for future reference.
I was slightly confused about the suggestion that the book provides a photocopiable resource, but also contains the standard "Rights reserved" statement, which says that it cannot be reprinted or reproduced, by any means.
on 2 December 1999
I must say I found this book most comprehensive and interesting and shall certainly make use of the book myself when it becomes available. The book will be an invaluable resource for students, particularly those that are fairly new to using the Internet to help with their studies. One of the book's great strengths will be that, despite its obvious orientation towards students and toward the computer systems used at christ church university college, it will be easy for intelligent others using different hardware/software systems to understand from it how to navigate the Internet and use it productively. Overall, I think people will appreciate the book's wide coverage of the subject and its 'easy to read' format.
on 6 April 2001
When i was first referred to this book by a peer, i was sceptical as i have flicked through many of its kind before. However i was pleasantly surprised and engaged by this book that moves you along fluently and easily through the many uses of the internet and how it makes my job as a learning student nurse easier. I can now manipulate the internet to my advantage whereas before i would get lost in the vast expanse of the internet and it would manipulate me! A thoroughly enjoyable book which i keep handy at all times to get the most out of the information super highway.
on 2 December 1999
"I have had the opportunity to review "The essential guide to the internet for health professional" prior to it going for publication. I must say I found it most comprehensive and interesting and shall certainly make use of the book myself when it becomes available. Thebook will be an invaluable resource to students, particularly those that are failry new tousing the Internet to help with their studies... Overall, I think people will appreciate the book's wide coverage of the subject and its 'easy to read' format.
on 2 December 1999
I have read this book and I love it. It is clear and informative. Since reading it I have a better understanding of how the World Wide Web works and how to access the Internet. It is just right for any healthcare students, particularly those with little previous experience. I would strongly recommend it as an informative and practical guide to developing the basic skills and understanding needed to access the learning resources via the Internet.
on 6 December 1999
I had the opportunity of reading the manuscript for this book prior to publication. I can tell you it is a mine of useful information. More than adequate for beginners and more experience users. A very well planned and structured book. I think anyone wanting to develop Internet skills will find this text useful.