on 4 July 2006
This was irritatingly touted by my uni (King's College London) as the core anatomy text for our first year. We were told that it would contain everything we need to know as first years; well it's that "as first years" bit that's the problem. You're going to be at medical school for a long time and so you need an anatomy textbook that you'll be using for most of that time, not one that you'll need to replace in a year.

The book is useful as a revision aid (in fact the only time I really used it was on the tube during the cram that was my 3rd term of the first year) but as a reference text it's deficient. It becomes very irritating when you finally settle down to write some anatomy notes and flick this open to find that it can't answer a lot of your questions. I wish someone had told me as a first year, but if you're looking for an anatomy textbook then go for the bigger version of this: Clinically Oriented Anatomy (it's AWESOME), or Gray's Anatomy for Students (by far the best and easiest to understand illustrations I've ever seen in an anatomy book (and that's including the full version of Gray's)).

In short, it's not a bad book but you will definitely need more information than it contains (even in your first year) so go for another book instead.
on 10 December 2015
Its a good read and has the basics of anatomy that you need to pass an exam, or just need it for work. It doesn't go into great deapths of anatomy but for its size it covers most stuff well enough for you to understand and get by.

It gives clinical references and why certain anatomy is important for various specialties. Therefore it makes applying knowledge to clincal practice easier.
on 24 September 2011
As others have suggested, a lot of reading required. I would recommend another text for new medical students. Try Applied clinical anatomy for students and junior doctors or Last's clinical anatomy (perhaps if you are planning to write the MRCS).
on 18 July 2008
This book was on our essential reading list, well if you read this you will have no time left for anything else, I started with good intentions but this book is way way too wordy! So wordy in fact that it becomes useless. I ended up using other books to gain my knowledge. The only useful thing in this book was the blue clinically relevent sections and the diagrams on the para and sympathetic nervous systems. The tables are useful also, in other words it is the written text in this book that causes this book to be poor.
on 25 March 2012
this book is essential to all med students, as the title suggests. It's less detailed than Gray's but has clear descriptions and good diagrams.
on 28 September 2014
Older version but perfect condition, excellent study aid.