- Audio CD (30 May 1995)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Import
- Label: Imports
- ASIN: B000002R76
- Other Editions: Vinyl
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 653,843 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
1. In The Night sets the mood of the album. It has a dark and dreamy sound to it. All these tracks are great really so out of 10 this song is a 9.
2. Mama Told Me Not To Come is the song made famous by Three Dog Night. The intro is very Baroque like and totally turns swampy. It may not be as definitive as TDN's version but Eric does a great job interpreting. I would rate 8 of 10.
3. I Think It's Going To Rain is a sad song about lost love which most of this album is. Making that the common theme. Darkness, love (mostly lost), and Redemption. Definitly 9 out of 10.
4. On This Side Of Goodbye is another song about lost love. Again, 9 out of 10.
5. That Ain't Where It's At is one of the more known songs of this album. And justifibly so. It is one of the best tracks and most up tempo. Contains some real anger. While not an all time favorite for me, it is catchy so 10 out of 10.
6. True Love (Comes Only Once In A Lifetime)is really the turning point for me on this album. It is definitly one of three or four standout tracks for me. It has an oriental sound to it at the beginning w/ female background vocalists kinda like the Ronettes (which I admit is a stretch but I can't think of any other way to descibe it) making it weird and exhilerating at the same time. Eric vocals on this song are simply astounding! The raw emotion of hurt and love he conveys especially at the end! What a powerful track! This is the song that really sold me this album. A very high 10 out of 10.
7. Help Me Girl is probably the most famous song from this set but to me it is a 9 out of 10. It is a great song but not as emotion as some of the best moments on here.
8. Wait Til Next Year is the weakest song on the album. The way Eric interprets the words are right on but just don't correspond well with the music. Making this the least memorable of any of the songs on the set. A 6 out of 10.
9. Losin' Control is a good song not great but the urgency of the music and way Eric sings make it still a worthwile track. 8 out of 10.
10. It's Not Easy is quite simply a catchy, amazing song. This is definitly another highlight on this album. Absolutely essential,another 10 out of 10. Songs 10 - 12 are a great triple shot to end the album.
11. The Biggest Bundle Of Them All is very Motownish. Definitly one of the better tracks. 9 out of 10.
12. It's Been A Long Time Comin' begins w/ a crack from a snare drum and establishes the climax of this album. This is absolutly a highpoint and may be the best song on this album w/ tracks 10 and 6. This song is soulful! It has an Otis Redding feel. The perfect ending to a great album. 10 out of 10.
I hope this review has been very helpful and persuades you to invest in buying this wonderful album. It is well worth the time and money. Thank you.