on 3 March 2014
Although there is no denying that the quality of print that comes out is extremely good, this is nothing more than an overpriced paperweight. Just over a year old and ours requires a new part which costs only a little less than what we paid for it. Epson themselves are about as helpful as a chocolate teacup and judging by the customer service team (and the cost of repair) know that this is a fundamentally a rubbish product and most people will have to get it fixed (and judging by the other reviews I've found we are not wrong). DON'T BUY THIS PRINTER. We may as well have bought a rubbish inkjet from a european food store's bargain bucket and burnt the rest of the money with a box of swan matches and some lighter fuel - we would have got just as much out of it!!!!!!
on 10 August 2014
Big, heavy and expensive to run. You need to use this machine at the very least every week for a good number of sheets otherwise the ink dries and it takes a long time to clean, set and warm up. Definitely not worth the money as it falls between medium size printer and large format size. If I was going to buy one I would choose one that can print on wider paper as the available range is much better.
on 11 November 2012
My 4900 was bought to replace an ageing and failing Stylus Pro 4000 that has given good service for 7 years. The 4900 is as expected a considerable improvement. Installation was straightforward, as suggested it does need two people to lift it onto its support. The high level of automation makes it very simple to get it working and to keep it doing so. I have only used it with roll papers, mostly Epson types, ICC profiles have been faultless so far and persistent profile troubles I had with the 4000 are a distant memory. Quality of printing is absolutely superb with vibrant colours and brilliant resolution. One of the initial 80ml ink cartridges (light black) is showing as low after a month of rather light use in which I have printed about 20m of 16" and 17" paper, so there's enough ink to get started. Too early to say perhaps, but I have had no problems with blocked ink lines, which were becoming a serious nuisance with the 4000. After my 4000 experience, I run a small test print twice a week when I am not printing and always turn the machine off at the end of the day. Absolutely delighted with the printer so far. It seems to take quite a while to get itself sorted out when first turned on, but this has not been a problem, and print speed is good, I purchased through Amazon from Puremac in Germany, £500 cheaper than any UK supplier that I could find, faultless service and an English language machine and documentation.