on 30 December 2009
Unlike the self-aggrandising Mr Ian Walthew (see his 'review' below), I have actually read this book. I'm a land agent by trade, so I understand Rory Clark's perspective.

Clark's three books are all highly amusing, if a little over-romanticised. The three books are all easy reads, and I do find myself picking the novels up periodically to have a chuckle at some of his anecdotes. The author paints a very good picture of the nature of a resident agent's role, and his/her position within the local community and the hierarchy on a large rural estate.
on 6 June 2010
Like one of the two previous reviewers, I am a Land Agent as well, so can relate to much of what Rory Clark writes, and can almost always recollect a similar situation as to the various tales he tells.
It is a very easy read, and was very enjoyable, but if I were to criticise it it would be to say that the, albeit tame love scenes just aren't warranted for a book of this genre. I want to read about funny and interesting anecdotes, not how the main charater gets on in bed with his lady friend, thanks!
on 26 September 2011
Having read "You've done what, mylord" by Rory Clark I really wanted to read this other book but was slightly disappointed. It doesn't have the eccentricities of the other book (at least not the first half) but an enjoyable read,nevertheless.
on 25 May 2008
There's an entire genre of 'moving to the countryside' books, what publishers like to call 'settlement non-fiction'. The books are normally written to commission, it's a genre I had never explored or read before I wrote my own book, which I suppose I have to now admit, belongs in some way to this genre.

This is I suppose one, written from the perspective of the landed gentry and I haven't read it. So I who I am I to argue with the reviewers, hence the 5 stars.

But if you do read this book, then try A PLACE IN MY COUNTRY: In Search of a Rural Dream. I have tried to give a voice to the 'unsavoury' tenants as referred to in the synopopsis to this book, a group of people in a country where 80% of our land is ownded by a very few small group of people.

I'm biased, because I wrote it. Well and widely reviewed, I have tried to leave room for the reader interested in the English countryside to come to their own conclusions.

Perhaps the best book in this genre is The Engima of Arrival by V.S Naipaul, luckily a book I only read after I had finished mine. I think I could have called mine The Enigma or Arrival and I should have been tougher about resisting my publisher's insistence on a subtitle, which all these books seem to have.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...