Customer Discussions > The Time Traveler's Wife forum

The Emperor's new clothes or what ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jun 2007 20:37:49 BDT
Put simply The Time Traveler's Wife is DIRE and I'm at a loss at to why it was hyped up so much. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. What I'd like to hear about are other "masterpieces" of modern drivel that have mysteriously won acclaim. I'll start by throwing in another truly awful novel Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Come on let's have some more examples please !

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2007 20:12:41 BDT
Mark Dickens says:
Yeh equally dire, currently in bestsellers list A Short History Of Tractors In Ukranian (beyond belief). We Need To Talk About Kevin is hyped to the hilt also, however the difference being that that is BRILL. Depends what you like we are all different, flavours tastes whatever. The thing that bugs me is all these talentless authors getting fat on the hype.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2007 17:29:51 BDT
S. Flint says:
Liked the book myself. The book I read before was The Dice Man which was pure drivel so I was looking for a nice light read. This I found in this book which I thought was very cleverly written.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2007 07:40:56 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Aug 2007 07:41:13 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2008 20:39:42 BDT
Overby Girl says:
I too think this book is highly overrated. The characters are extremely dull and rather unlikeable. I'm amazed at the number of positive 5 star scores it gets-all I can think is people are very easily pleased. This book makes me worry about the reviewers' ideals regarding true love-A seedy man hanging around a child, certainly isn't my idea of romantic fiction! This book is piffle.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2008 20:20:32 BDT
"Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2008 20:36:48 BDT
Lizzie says:
I agree, Labyrinth by Kate Mosse was one of the worst books ever written. The writing was amateur at best and the story pointless. The entire brick of a book was spent building up to an ending which was the biggest load of twaddel ever thought up. Why oh why do books such as these get such rave reviews? Richard and Judy have a lot to answer to!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2008 16:26:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Aug 2008 16:27:38 BDT
miss vickies says:
Life of Pi. What. The. Hell? The ending was completely ridiculous, & seems thrown in there just to make it seem all philosophical or something.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2008 01:38:42 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Nov 2008 01:40:19 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2009 18:21:18 GMT
Trimalchio says:
I coudn't agree more. I think I can safely say that Labyrinth is the worst novel I have ever read. There is no aspect of writing in which it even approaches competence. It is absurd in too many ways to count, lazily researched, poorly plotted, badly developed, with weak one-dimenstional characters who are badly motivated, all written up in dreadful prose. Not only is it nonsense, it's not even enjoyable to read. It would shame a teenage creative writing exercise. Yet look at the reviews from the papers quoted on the paperback. What you know or who you know?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2009 00:58:34 BDT
J. Rees says:
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, my least favourite book ever. I read it on recommendation and I'm much more careful who I listen to now. RUBBISH

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2009 16:22:12 BDT
D. Lane says:
I loved "A Short History of Tractors..." which I found really funny (and thoroughly enjoyed her follow up book too - sorry!). However I do agree that "The Time Traveller's Wife" is one the most boring and over hyped books ever. The Kate Mosse book was also dire. May I offer up "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" by Jean-Dominique Bauby? Only about 79 pages long but so, so dreadful. I think we are supposed to enthuse over this because he had "locked-in" syndrome and wrote it by blinking out each individual letter. He finished it and died. I don't think I need to say what I wish had happened...

Posted on 6 Aug 2009 12:20:41 BDT
Smurfy says:
I'll admit I've only read a short extract so could be completely wrong, but what I did read of 'The True History of the Kelly Gang' made me wonder how it even got published, let alone won The Booker Prize. Gimmicky and irritating.

Posted on 6 Aug 2009 16:29:23 BDT
Ugh, definitely My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Poorly written, badly edited, lacking in decent characterisation and with a pathetic cop-out of an ending. What really made me laugh was how the author said that she had tried especially hard to give a unique "voice" to each character, and yet they all sounded exactly the same! Sometimes I went for several pages before working out who it was telling the story at that particular point! I genuinely believe that people who consider this book to be a "gem", "masterpiece", "brilliant example of modern writing" and other hyperbolic statements have never actually read any other novels. I was so, so disappointed with it - I certainly won't be reading any more of Picoult's work (and the film didn't do much for me either).

Posted on 19 Aug 2009 01:32:04 BDT
Seldom Seen. says:
All works by Jodi Picoult, she seems to start with a half decent idea for a story, but her writing is abysmal, and every book formulaic. You could have a checklist; court case, split narrative, and a couple of flashbacks thrown in for good measure.

I didn't mind the Time Traveller's Wife, the only problem being that the characters and their love just seemed too perfect to be real. And I know, I know the time travelling thing is in no way real, but everything else was grounded in reality, except for these perfect specimens of human beings.

We Need To Talk About Kevin I thought was fantastic, and no matter how many people ramble on about Shriver's prose being wordy and pretentious, the story and the 'reveal' so to speak, were brilliant.

And don't even get me started on Labyrinth. I gave up 50 pages from the end. The only possible way I would recommend that book, is if someone was in need of a good door stop. Duller than dishwater.

Another book that really irks me is If On A Winter's Night A Traveller, by Calvino. Yes, I see what he's trying to do, but that doesn't make the book any less tedious.

Posted on 14 Sep 2009 21:23:36 BDT
E. Fletcher says:
Ug, "The Memory keeper's daughter" was DIRE! Just awful! I believe in freedom of speech, expression, etc. Of course, that means I am free to express what a pile of utter SHASH this book was. Managed to be both fantastical and unbeleivable and still mind-numbingly depressing. Quite a feat!

Posted on 15 Sep 2009 17:47:12 BDT
miss lj says:
I liked the TTW. then again I am a cup half full type of person and try to enjoy things rather than be miserable about them. If I am really not enjoying a book I stop reading it. Simple. In my book group we are very good at being positive and constructive when we don`t like a book. It is sometimes a matter of preference and helps us to make wiser choices in future.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2009 17:03:54 GMT
I HAVE to disagree with you. Sorry!!!!!!!!! I absolutely LOVE novels written by Jodi Picoult - but then, maybe I'm lucky, in that those I've read have been fantasic, whereas I admit that I haven't read all of her books by any stretch of the imagination!-howeverI have read a LOT of them! IT'S NOT JUST ME!!!!!!! Friends of mine ALSOI love her books - but maybe you have to h ave a "sob" inerest of slightly masochistic sort of mind to enjoy them! It takes all kinds after all!!!!! If everybody liked them same sort of book, woulnd't the world be a boring place? I have two young adult children,and their reading taste differs widely from mine - but I still love them!!!!!!

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 04:25:08 GMT
E. Weir says:
Have to say didnt think the time travellers wife was so bad quite enjoyed it despite the clunking big mistakes all the way through it but labyrinth is probably one of the worst books I have ever read ! Not a fan of Jodi Piccoult either always love the sound of them but when I start reading them I think this is awful - my flatmate wont read anything different though so it just goes to show - it takes all sorts !

Posted on 6 Nov 2009 20:40:42 GMT
V. Dawes says:
You're all nuts-the book was brilliant, despite me thinking that I wouldn't like it at first. I became engrossed and cried at the end. Brilliant!

Posted on 12 Nov 2009 23:32:32 GMT
A so called literary book which I found immensely trivial, boring and unsatisfying was 'Atonement' by Ian McEwan.It was hyped beyond belief. I've rarely read a book so profoundly over valued.

Posted on 31 Jan 2010 22:23:30 GMT
KittyP says:
So true about Jodi Piccoult, her books always sound so interesting but end up an utterly dull, often completely unbelievable, courtroom drama. I gave her the benefit of the doubt so many times when one of her books sounds like it has a great plot only to find that I am once more reading the same story. The last I read, and the worst, was Nineteen Minutes. Are we really supposed to believe that a judge who's daughter was injured in a school shooting would be allowed to preside over the trial of the shooter? What complete nonsense!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2010 21:19:31 BDT
What do you mean 'poorly plotted'? You mean, it had a PLOT?!!!

Posted on 30 Dec 2010 22:19:14 GMT
love reading says:
The Gargoyle was dreadful. I hated The Lovely Bones too.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2011 22:57:33 GMT
Annief1 says:
Absolutely brilliant book. The ending is the whole point.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  15 Jun 2007
Latest post:  8 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Paperback - 6 Jan 2005)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,303)