on 6 May 2012
This is a book I wish I had written. It helps encourage Christians to be human! getting in touch with and processing the various aspects of our humanity whilst at the same time drawing upon the resources of Christ in whom we now live. A brilliant book that will I hope be widely read and implememented
on 25 February 2010
I found this book to be very insightful into how the role of leadership in church holds the key to the health and spiritual growth of the church community. It's so refreshing to read an author who is able to relate to his own experineces as a flawed adult in a way which creates wisdom about the vital role that the character and emotional intelligence of leaders have on their church.
Please read this if you are anywhere near contemplating taking up a role as a church leader, and if are aleady in that position, pick this book up and let it guide you.
This book gives you permission to acknowledge your humanity and vulnerabilities, and in so doing to allow God to work with you to become the person he created you to be, thereby enabling your church to grow with you.
on 8 March 2014
This book was chosen as teaching material for a period by the church to which I belong. I'm normally cautious about books hailing from America, many are good, some are deplorable. This one I found exceptional in that it gets to the heart of where people are at, and then helps individuals ( and churches ) towards that place where they need to get. I suppose it helps one to recognise the mask ( or the image ) we hide behind and present to the outside world that enables us to cope with our own unique and individual circumstances.....see and accept ourselves as we really are .....and go ( grow ) on from there.

A very freeing and liberating book, written by a man who has been there and is sharing out of his own experience that which he has painfully learned.

I highly recommend this book, easily read in sections or straight through. Can be uncomfortable in places, especially where you recognise yourself......but that, of course, is what it's all about.

Happy reading

J.J.Hall
on 21 September 2013
Get balance back into your life and the life of your church. This is a must read for anyone in church leadership especially but it is just as good for the individual. After making the point that emotional and spiritual health are inseparable and we neglect emotional health at our peril the author gives a detailed questionaire to evaluate the maturity of your emotional health. He then goes through 7 principles that will improve things for you. It is not a book to read quickly - you need to allow the truths and practices to sink deep so they become part of you and the people you influence.
on 6 May 2009
Everyone in the Western church world should read this book and take it to heart. Lots of practical ways to improve our relationship skills and live more Godly lives. Buy it and tell a friend!
on 21 May 2009
Good read. But quite involving. There are exercises for you to do at the end of each chapter, so you need to invest some study time.
on 20 July 2014
This is what the author claims and then goes on to explain.

I am reading this with my husband who is a church pastor.

it is an eye opener - come at just the right time for us.

Be prepared to be challenged and think.

If these emotionally healthy principles could be incorporated into any organisation (religious or not), life would be so much simpler and we would all be healthier too.

It starts with individuals making changes and then modelling them in everyday life. My husband and I have started this and seen the ripples spread around our family!

Here's hoping the church can be influenced positively too!
on 16 April 2015
A 'must read ' for every christian. I have read chapter 7 three times Our House group is working through the book chapter by chapter. The accompanying Work Book is very helpful. Altogether a very honest, refreshing, and encouraging book
on 11 March 2014
This book is just what is needed in the church. Peter shows that spiritual maturity cannot fully happen until emotional maturity had been reach. This applies to individuals and to the church. A must read.
on 28 May 2013
Important book for church leaders in balancing their own lives and those of their churches. Written with insight and obvious (bitter) experience. Needed, I'm sure, for many.