VINE VOICEon 22 July 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was a book difficult to get into - The main problem is that the first half is full of the bane of most PowerPoint presentations: The strange need to tell you what they're about to tell you. As such, you have to wade through something akin to:

"Book on Stuff
In this book, you will learn about stuff. In chapter one, we will learn that things are a type of stuff. So read on!

Chapter One - Things
In this chapter, we will see how things are a type of stuff

Here's the cool bit: Things are a type of stuff!

By now you should understand that things are a type of stuff. In chapter two we will build upon this knowledge to understand how objects are also a type of stuff..."

... and so on. It is an unpleasant slog that repeats itself a lot and seems to be more a basic overview than really go into any detail... so when you strip away most of the fluff, there's very little useful content left (though the box on how to teach children emotional empathy is superb). It might be worth skipping the intro altogether, as it's easy to get sick of the word 'emotion' numerous times in every single tiny paragraph

One of my huge gripes in the early sections is the "Your emotions are what YOU create" bit: A feel-good concept peddled about with no scientific backing and about as useful as the "Hey, don't care what people think! Those who don't care don't matter"-type posts you see on FaceBook - Sounds great, but in reality is a very grey area that should be explored and guided in considerably more detail. And that's what I feel this book grudgingly lacks: Detail. You get a lot of broad statements with little explanation, such as (this one stuck out for me) "Facial expressions: try and maintain an expression that reflects openness and interest, but which is also responsive and reflects what the other person is conveying" - as opposed to y'know... something difficult

Part 2 I'm undecided on. It's ok, but the lack of detail makes it suffer heavily. We flit about assertiveness, listening and being positive - without really delving into any properly. We're also told things like assertiveness is good in some cases, but so is being passive, or being aggressive, or being passive-aggressive... it's down to us to choose the best one. Whilst the previous statement is certainly true, you notice it doesn't actually tell us anything helpful either. And it's that kind of "fluff" that gets in the way of some of the good advice

That said, things start to pick up around the half way mark. The blanch statements take a back-seat for lots of short-sharp points and tactics to start managing emotions properly. Part 3 in particular, covering specific tactics for Anxiety/Anger/Bullying, is pretty damn good - especially re-framing anger as a challenge. That I loved. Unfortunately, where these sections are crammed into the latter sections of the book - it suffers from being very short and lacking detail. The general tips are good, but I craved more examples and situations to really dig into the nuts and bolts of an emotion

Disappointingly, it just wasn't an enjoyable read. It reads more like an introduction to Emotional Intelligence than a guide. If you've never covered anything of its style before, you might find it quite a good read (it's hard for me to say) - But if you've been working with this sort of material, you'll probably find that it loiters around territory you covered ages ago. And that's emotional intelligence! (comments like that bugged me too...)

Peace
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The blurb says 'You've probably noticed that it's not the smartest people that are the most successful or the most fulfilled in life; being clever, talented or skilled is not enough. It's your ability to manage your feelings, other people and your interactions with them that makes the difference.' That is something that I fully believe and it drew me to this book.

The book is organised as follows:
Part 1 Understanding Emotions
Part 2 Managing Emotions
Part 3 Putting it into practice

Gill Hasson covers the subject matter but it's rather a skate over the surface than anything else. I felt the book lacked depth in terms of links to research and in linking that to practical steps in how to achieve change. It provides a decent overview of the subject but no more. The most useful idea I picked up from it was in the managing anger section - the idea is in reframing a situation and thinking how would I deal with this if I had chosen it? I found that to be a useful tip.

If you have already read other books on the subject and on CBT then there won'e be anything new here.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 November 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A bit wishy-washy for me. I found it quite uninspiring and ended up skimming, reading over large sections in order to get to the message buried within the filler. It has some insightful elements no doubt but it becomes all a bit lost in the endless evaluating and summing up.
Having (skim) read this book, unfortunately for me some four days later I am unable to even remember much of what it was trying to convey. May suit people who like certain styles of writing, I just like mine to be more to the point.
on 1 September 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The production of 'self-help' books is a growth industry, and a plethora of these publications is now available. Does this one add anything special? It deals with the topic of 'emotional intelligence' which has been defined as: the ability to identify and manage your own emotions and the emotions of others. It is generally said to include 3 skills:

1. Emotional awareness, including the ability to identify your own emotions and those of others;
2. The ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problems solving;
3. The ability to manage emotions, including the ability to regulate your own emotions, and the ability to cheer up or calm down another person.

The author's qualifications look thin on the ground - in fact none is mentioned in the potted biography, though she has 20 years' experience in the area of 'personal development' and has written a popular book on mindfulness. The book is nothing if not ambitious however. It promises to assist the reader to: be more assertive and confident • express how you feel, what you want and don’t want. • understand what others are feeling and forge stronger relationships • manage office politics and navigate the social complexities of the workplace • manage anxiety, anger and disappointment • deal with bullying • motivate and inspire others . There is a meagre list of only three references.

Some of the concepts used in the book sound very like those in cognitive behavioural therapy. Others I simply disagree with - the contention that 'all emotions have a positive purpose - to keep you safe, develop and maintain social ties and to develop our creativity and self-actualisation'.

In conclusion, this book is not for me. I prefer to read the 'self-help' books from the 'Overcoming' series, which are also stocked by Amazon. These are written by academic and clinical experts in their fields. See: http://www.overcoming.co.uk/.
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A well-written, easily explained handbook explaining the concept and value of Emotional Intelligence. In easy-to-follow steps explaining what Emotional Intelligence is and how the reader can use it both for themselves and to help others.

There are clear tips on how to manage your mood, deal with bullying, managing conflict and so on. An excellent book which, with my own experience of Change Management Consultancy, I am more than happy to recommend.
on 25 September 2015
I came from a starting point of denying emotions due to distant childhood experiences and this book has been a great help in overcoming that massive hurdle. I am 57 so it only goes to show that whatever your age it is never too late to do something!
Gill gives very practical activities to carry out to aid understanding and development and also gives simple, concise explanations of the theory behind it.
I recommend this for anyone interested in developing themselves in social interactions and skills.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There is good advice in here, but it takes work to separate the wisdom and helpful parts from the rest. There is quite a lot of unnecessary rambling that detracts. Makes the book unfocussed and therefore the reader has a harder time processing the information.

The contents are divided into three section:
Understanding Emotions
Managing Emotions
Putting it into practice
These sections are sub-divided into chapters.
The author states all emotions are positive, I would say you can learn from all your emotions but not sure they are positive.
There are parts of this book I think are useful but I don't think there is much in here that is original. If you have read other self-help, NLP or CBT books you will probably find yourself rereading familiar thoughts and theories.

Overall this is a useful book if you haven't read any others on the subject. But think there are better books that make the information easier to absorb and use. I also think the book could have gone deeper into the subject. Like many other self-help books it is on the shallow side. I think I will take a look at other books on the subject.
on 12 June 2014
I was very impressed with this book, which came at a time when I've been having some issues myself in understanding and dealing with a variety of feelings and emotions, all of which are addressed in this book!

I particularly like the style of writing, which is very easy to read and follow and also to apply the techniques explained. Even if people have come across similar books before, I'm sure most will welcome this fresh and easy to follow insight in how to understand and manage how we think feel and behave!
on 23 September 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a grind. A painful staggering through endless repetitive guff, with continual 'this is what we're going to tell you, this is what we are telling you, this is what we told you' rubbish. I can only assume a lot of this content was lifted from presentations that they either gave, or were given to them.

You have to wade through stuff like this continuously,trying to find the few nuggets of real information, which you the have to sift through again to identify which buts actually have any basis in science. Most of it is poorly constructed and lacks any real references to research or proof. I could probably find similar content on any number of Sunday-science blogs across the Internet.

If you want to read about Emotional Intelligence, there are more than a few books that cover the topi I would recommend 'Emotional Intelligence' by Daniel Galman. A better, concise and more effective demonstration of understanding the science and understanding of emotional intelligence.
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I absolutely loved this. It's written very clearly, with sub-headings for each chapter. Emotions are explored in depth, allowing people who are not very good at reading emotions, or who find it hard to express their own, to grasp emotional clues and the signals they themselves might be giving out.

I personally bought this book to help me deal with anxiety and lack of confidence, and learned lots of step by step ways to calm myself down, to think objectively, to see the bigger picture and problem solve by myself. There was also an excellent chapter on dealing with bullies, and another one on dealing with anger, which was incredibly useful, It helped me to realise that people are all different and there really is no such thing as normal! There are lots of very practical and useful coping methods in this book and I know I will benefit by giving this a second read, sooner rather than later. I'll definitely try this author again for more in the self-help series.