Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2010
I bought this book as I got hold of a ChipworkX development system and as usual surround myself with relevant literature. This book gives some excellent insights into why there is .NET MICRO and the kind of adaptations to .NET required to embrace the range of incredibly powerful and flexible 8/16/32 bit micro-controllers into the more abstracted programming / deployment environment.

The book, though not tied to any one hardware platform, goes on to give some excellent examples of how to 'program this or that'. It's a light read and some might say (since its a Microsoft product) it blatantly sees the whole world as MS's domain.

I found the chapter on creating a user interface provided the answers that were uppermost on my mind when I bought the book.

I'm not particularly interested in robots or networking but the relevant chapters are still valuable to my education (programming language, how to etc rather than theory of robotics or networking).

I have developed electronics using the ubiquitous PIC range of chips using both 'bit bashing' and high level languages (Basic and C). Most of the high level language versions I've used have been flaky. So the opportunity to leap frog to a more robust solution in C# on a far more serious platform was interesting.

This book has provided good explanations, breadth and examples to get me on my way. This book will always be a companion to the literature / assemblies provided by the particular .NETMF platform provider. It is a worthwhile companion in my opinion.

I'm not a professional programmer or hardware engineer. However I hold a masters degree in microelectronics and electronics remains a deep hobby. So if my perspective doesn't hold with "cost per buck" or "deep discussions on the merits of .NET MICRO" then fine by me. It's the book contents that count.
on 24 March 2011
Not embelished with cheery 'entertaining' text, but definitly a very good guide to NETMF. I keep referring back to it the most (other is Sams Teach Yourself Visual C# 2010 in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit (Sams Teach Yourself...in 24 Hours))