on 30 March 2013
Well, I finally got to that point in this series, the point where I just struggle to read something so I can skip to the next book.
Obviously it's an important part of the whole series itself, but oh lord how it's hard to get through. The whole book itself is a collection of torturing and flashbacks of other characters I really have no clue to as to whoever they are, so maybe this one isn't really made for a person barely knowledgeable of the Forgotten Realms world.
on 24 January 2014
I read this book before but found it tricky to follow as I never could figure out if Nergal was going through his head or if it was present time on Toril. A number of years later...I still can't figure it out!!! Really good back stories for some for the some the Realms most famous characters but not a book to read if you are new to this....and that's nothing to say to the torture scenes in it!!! :O
on 20 December 2013
I am a die hard R. A. Salvatore Reader. Compared to his latest books I am missing something while reading Ed Greenwood. I read all 4 of his Elminster books and wasn't drawn as I was with the Salvatore books.
on 6 May 2004
I'm a great fan of the Elminster series of books due to the excellent writing and humour of Ed Greenwood that make them such a joy to read. However i've been left sadly disappointed by this latest instalment in the life of one of the best characters in the forgotten realms. There are some occasional points in the book that leave me with a smile on my face and remind me of why Ed Greenwood is such an inspiring author.
However the majority of the book is poor at best, its almost as if Ed Greenwood couldn’t be bothered to write a proper novel, and decided to do a play instead using, what are essentially stage direction to tell you what’s happening instead of describing what’s going on in his usual superb detail. If you’re a fan of the Elminster series then you might as well buy the book simply for the occasional flashes of brilliance that make Elminster great, but if this is your first journey into the realms, then i'd deffinatley leave this book well alone.
on 7 November 2001
Elminster has got to be one of the most enjoyable characters in the "Forgotten realms" world. This book takes us on another ride, but this time, Elminster takes us to hell and (hopefully) back again. Ed Greenwood has developed a most enjoyable character and (book after book) thankfully has let us tag along on a ride that has spanned generations. I have completely enjoyed all of the "Elminster" books and this edition to the series is one of the best. Thank you Mr Greenwood and I cannot wait for more of the same.
0Comment10 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2005
This is a clever story, bringing to bare the age old saying, "therres always someone better n you"
Poor old Elminster is trapped in the lower planes, and frankly, in tons of trouble.
And one of my personal favorite characters in the forgotten realms setting is non to pleased, and when shes upset, there'll be hell to pay. The Simbul saves the day, because, after all, she is just the coolest witch in the world.
Cleverly written, you heart cant help going out to the old duffer, and if you dont cheer out loud when Alasra kicks everyones ass, then shame on you.
on 13 September 2010
I like Elminster and the world of the forgotten realms let me make that clear from the start, and I even rated ed greenwood as one of the best authors of that universe but this book is an absolute travesty. One can only assume those people who gave it 5 stars are paid to do so because anyone with even the faintest blush of critical thought would struggle to give this book 3 stars.

If you've never read a book before, your under the age 8 or if you have so much money you can afford to burn it then this book is for you.