This book of rhymes is totally and utterly crazy - meaning that it is also hugely entertaining and rather funny!

The second half of the book is my favourite - a new take in a very humorous and often almost sarcastic way of writing about popular fairy tales such as Cinderella. This household is currently fairytale mad - and these rhymes certainly are a breath of fresh air for me! It's not often that a children's book leaves me, as an adult, giggling hopelessly!

It's easy to get sucked into the little world that Elias Zapple has created in his books. None of it is logical or real to life - but that's the joy of his writing. I've only just recently discovered his books but this one is no exception - it's really good.

Warmly recommended.
on 1 November 2014
If you’re looking for a crazy, silly time where almost everything is in rhyme then this book is a wonderful find! Elias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias Zapple is fantastic. Just had a great time reading some of the verses to my son and he kept wanting to hear them again. I laughed too. It’s a great zany mix of nonsense and truth that includes ridiculous and absurd. The illustrations may be my favorite part, laughed out loud at many. Good fun in here, and we’re all slugs after all. Recommended. Four stars!
on 8 September 2014
The most mischievous take on all those classic children's stories and nursery rhymes that I ever read. I got it for my kids, but then found myself laughing too hard myself, turning pages, asking for more.
We read Duke and Michel before, so were confidently expecting something delightfully wild. And it was, maybe even wilder, and maybe even funnier, although it's impossible to compare one hilarious read to another. Even my oldest, a 12 years old non-reader, was grabbing my Kindle to read some more.
What can I say? I love this author's humor, love the subtle sarcasm, love the illustrations, love the way he seems to never be afraid of crossing some lines. I'd say this book is as much for the grownups as it is for the children, and teens, and pre-teens. The humor and twists and turns alone would warrant all ages' attention.
Off to look for more books by this author!
This is the third Elias Zapple book I have read - the first was the imaginative fantasy ‘Duke & Michel: Mysterious Corridor’ and the second was the weird and wacky ‘Jellybean the Dragon’ - and now ‘Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch’ includes some of the characters from these books, plus numerous others embracing well known fairy tale characters - and more - and of course slugs as the ‘Disclaimer’ that any resemblance to slugs is purely coincidental. Not much escapes the zany attention of Elias Zapple and his humorous writing is directed to young readers as well as intriguing adults - perhaps this third book is his best. However it is the shortest and can be read in an hour - but who would want to do that? Contents need to be savoured with words either spoken out loud or at least pondered over in the mind so the most is made of the ridiculous rhyming and spacious scanning embedded in the nonsense of the poems and stories. In addition to ‘off the wall’ narrative illustrations by Ilaeira Misirlou are the best yet. Kids and granddads will love it - ‘Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch’ fully deserves a 5-star rating.
on 7 June 2014
Elias Zapple has a very witty (and a bit dark) sense of humour, which is exactly why I love his work so much. I am not usually a fan of the twisted, but this book had me laughing out loud at a few spots! Some of the poems rhyme, some do not. Some rhyme and then have a sudden, deadpan line at the end which I love.

The fairytales are new takes on old classics. If you've ever wanted to see Cinderella get her revenge or Little Red join forces with the wolf ala Bonnie and Clyde, then you will love this book. Check it out or be slimed!

This book is top shelf!

***This book was featured on Destiny's Book Dig Up! and is a winner of the unofficial Top Shelf book award***
on 7 June 2014
This was my favourite Elias Zapple book. It's the kind of crazy, zany poetry that will at least make you smile. It reminded me of Spike Milligan's humour and I exploded in laughter a few times. I'm considering learning 'Cinderella' as a party piece.

Because the book gave me such a lift, I read it tonight again and decided to write this review. I know that it's advertised as preadolescence but I think that a lot of adults will love it.
on 24 May 2014
I was determined to dislike this book. After all, I'm the founder of the Bloomsbury slug sanctuary. I tried not to laugh, I really did. However, within a minute a strange twitchy feeling wiggled through my nose and I heard the sound of giggling. My own!

Mr. Zapple sounds an unusual sort of person and I can only express sympathy for his neighbour, Dieter, but oh! 'Sweet Cherry Pie'!! Actually perhaps I'd better not mention the cherry pie, it will only give kids ideas. So ignore that. But 'Humpty Dumpty'! I was totally in tune with Mr. Zapple's re-working of this ancient nursery rhyme. If not his treatment of his poor slugs.

I battled on, frowning as much as possible. I managed not to laugh at Cinderella and the Fairy Godmother's ID (this was quite a battle), but once I reached Goldilocks all was lost.

A disgraceful and wildly amusing book. With the emphasis on wild. Out of control, even. You'll need to ensure that it's downloaded to a secure location within your device, so that it doesn't give the other books ideas. I really shouldn't recommend it, but I can't help myself. Congrats to the illustrator for managing to cope with this tough assignment. Slugs rule!
on 1 August 2014
Elias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias Zapple is one of these most exciting books that I have read to my grand kids in a while!
Chalked full of nonsense and rhymes and such cleverness from the author, the illustrations are just as wild and wacky!
I am still am still amused!
on 15 August 2014
What a fun book! These poems are clever, crazy, witty, and slightly shocking, just what boys (and some girls!) in middle school like. There's Goldilocks who gets eaten by the bears, Humpty Dumpty who never gets put back together again (makes sense, right? what's an egg doing on the wall and how do you re-assemble an egg? not possible), and a very resourceful Wolf in the three little pigs. The poems are funny, fun, and a little dark. But weren't all traditional fairy-tales dark before Disney took over? Love the book!
on 3 August 2014
With an author name like Elias Zapple, you can surely expect some very crazy stuff. Whoever it's aimed at, it is a fun book with some ghoulish rhymes that work fine by me, thank you very much. Think of it as a Dr Seuss type book but darker (and much much much more fun).

DISCLAIMER: I did not receive a free copy in exchange for a review. Nor did I buy my copy from Amazon. I bought it from another retailer and loved it so much I decided to leave a review here. Thank you.