on 8 March 2001
This is one of the best books on elephants I have ever read. In fact, it is perhaps one of the best books on the structure of animal society and the individuals that constitute that society.
Detailed and scientific, yet well-written and touching, this book will keep you gripped as it recounts the fascinating story of the elephants of the Amboseli.
All the elephants have distinct personalities and as we follow them through birth, life, death, joy, sadness and laughter, we come to realise that we are all far more similar than we think. A truly wonderful book.
on 4 November 2001
If you have a passion for things Africa, if you are happy to accept that we as humans are part and parcel of our planet's fragile ecology, and if you can imagine life as an elephant on the plains of Africa then you will love this book. This is probably the best book on elephants that I have ever read.
Others have said that "it is perhaps one of the best books on the structure of animal society and the individuals that constitute that society". I would agree.
The author portrays the life and times of elephant society in the Amboseli. It is scientific yet touching. I couldn't put the book down - now I wish I could travel to Amboseli and meet these 'friends' for myself.
The author demonstrates that like us, elephants have distinct personalities which develop through their lives. They laugh, they cry, and they think. Read the book, you won't regret it.
on 4 February 2009
This book is fabulous - I was reading it whilst in kenya and in Amboseli whilst on safari - I have always had a "thing" about elephants and the insight it gave into the amazing research into the behaviour of the many family groups within the park was so special. I spent lots of time with our driver trying to spot potential members of the family and countless hours just watching elephants doing what they do. I would heartily recommend this book for anyone going into Amboseli National Park or anyone who has a special spot in their hearts for elephants.
on 20 January 2013
This beautiful book was ordered as a present for a relative. It arrived almost before I had placed the order.
on 27 January 2011
Too much a statistic report...I was in Amboseli at the same time as the author was and I was hoping for more anecdotes/tales about individual elephants or families and less number crunching and naming details. I was looking for more of a story. Disappointed. have ordered other books..hopefully they will be better.
I found Iain Douglas Hamilton's books better than this.
on 3 June 2016
Informative, magical and moving. The perfect balance between hard science and storytelling. This is one of my lifetime favourite books.
on 21 April 2016
Lovely book that takes you right into the lives of elephants. Highly recommend.
on 7 August 2014