Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2012
Having taken out many books on electronics from the local library I have found all of them wanting; they very rapidly become very technical and difficult to follow. This book is different in that it explains the basics but in detail, so that although the circuits described are simple enough, the book tells you what each component is doing, and why it is doing it, and what the result is, which no other electronics book I have come across does. There is some maths in the book but it is not difficult and it seems to me that in order to make progress in electronics you absolutely need to have some understanding of the maths element.
All in all a useful and practical explanation of a tricky subject.
on 3 January 2012
After a working life which had occasionally involved me with electronics at a level which hadn't demanded too deep an understanding of the design principles, I was looking for a book that would let me now get involved as a hobbyist, allowing me to modify existing published circuits, or hopefully, to even design my own. I've usually found the Dummies series of books to be very well written and comprehensive enough, and this one hasn't disappointed me in any way.

It's an excellent introduction to the subject, or as an aid to clarifying the details of what you already (nearly) know. Its style doesn't demand too much, unlike many other books on electronics that I have looked at, and one or two that I actually own. It's easy to read, and the explanations of what can be quite complex principles are as clear as they can be, I think. The book doesn't skim over too much of the detail, and when it needs to it warns that further detail exists, but is beyond its scope.

Introductions to the principles for making design calculations may seem intrusive to some readers, but is necessary to know about if you want to design even the simplest circuits and have them work after you build them. If you just want to understand the principles, detailed understanding of the equations can be skipped unless/until you need them. Good value. Recommended.
on 28 August 2011
If you're starting out with a new outlook on Electronics then this book is perfect for you.

There is an asumption that anyone who reads this book will be fairly good at maths as well. If you're not good with numbers, then give this one a miss.

There are aspects of this book that goes a little ahead of the novice like myself and didn't understand some topics discussed i.e. Filters but apart from that I understood 95 percent of what I read.

If there's one recommendation I would make it would be to have more illustrations and pictures. You can never have too many diagrams and pictures in a novice reading book like this!

This book also describes in detail about electrons, and the flow of electrons - but don't worry if you don't know what that means... the book explains it very well.

A very well put together book. Anyone who wants to buy this book though, needs to be prepared for a little more expense if you want to be involved in the projects at the back of this book.
on 12 February 2013
Decided to teach myself electronics and after reading many reveiws i purchased this book on the subject. So far it has been clear and concise in its explanations and diagrams. Gives a good solid basic grasp of electronics with lots of helpful information which I have found very useful and pretty good in being pretty loose in that you can jump around the book and start with different parts.

Page 202 has a starter list of needed/recomended parts as pretty daunting trying to find a kit with the right selection of parts etc (found one on ebay £18)

The theory can be heavy, and yes there are some scary equations but they ae nicely explained and you can always come back to those parts. Its been 20 years since i have used algebra but have found it well done if you take it a bite at a time, and as the book states you can skip some sections as you don't need to know some parts unless you are going to go in depth into that area of electronics.

If you want to get into electronics then this is certainly worth the £10
on 9 May 2015
Having bought a Raspberry Pi and then an Arduino, I realised that I was going to have to do some electronics. I had learned the basics as a boy but I needed someone to lead me and explain and incite me to experiment. This book does all three. The authors are not scared to be technical - using some fairly complex maths but nothing above gcse level - it does not need to be looked at if you don't have the stomach or ability, but it helps the understanding if you do. Once again (as with the Dummies arduino book) the style is marred slightly by forced humour - I think it must be a house style. I thoroughly recomend it if you need a leg up with electronics.
on 28 February 2014
got to page 25 before giving up . I believe you have to know electronics in order to get any use out of this - a shame because dummies guides are usually very good
on 9 August 2014
I work in electronics manufacturing as a non-design engineer/technician so its not required that I know much about electronics, that being said I want to move into electronic engineering and know next to nothing about electronics.

I started with a few online tutorials and videos, but quickly found the lack of professional content unbearable, then I tried a few older (more expensive) books and quickly found them too professional!

I'm about halfway through this book now and I will confidentially say it's the best book i've ever bought, hands down.

It helps to understand the basics before you start to read it, but everything is explained in a lot of detail without being overwhelming, definitely a must for people like me who want to get back into electronics after forgetting everything I learned in school.

Looking forward to trying more books from this series on other subjects!
on 24 December 2012
I can't say it's light reading or entertaining but a basic introduction to electronic theory and helped me start actually making things very quickly. I suppose it can't be helped with such things. but some of it has I guess to be a bit more complicated, maybe there should be a Dummier than Dummies book!
on 12 September 2012
Its many years since I last built anything from scratch and I found this a great refresher for getting beck into it. The layout is very clear, and builds on previous sections in a logical manner. The balance between theory and practice is about right, not holding you up with too much theory, but giving you enough to understand what you are doing. The maths isn't as daunting as some reviews suggest, If you can follow any of the GCSE maths textbooks out there you shouldn't have any problem with this book. This book will not make you an electronic engineer, but will make you a competent electronics hobbyist, and may well be a useful aid to someone studying a more academic syllebus.

My one recommendation for this book would be to have a comprehensive parts list in an appendix so you can get a full kit together. I would like to see an Electronics 2 for dummies to go a little further into the use of microprocessors.

Make sure you get the UK edition (if you're in the UK) as other reviews suggest there are considerable differences in the US version.
on 27 March 2016
Having recently retired, I am taking advantage of some more time to learn electronics. I have bought various kits to help me get started but have found these lacking because although I have a very rudimentary understanding of some of the components, and although the electronics lab I have explains the principles behind the circuits, I had little or no understanding of how to select components to build circuits etc. I also remembered some of the physics I did at school over nearly 40 years ago... This book is outstanding in explaining electronics from first principles. Understanding something from first principles makes remembering and applying it so much easier!

I highly recommend this book. I still have much to read but I cannot express how much I am enjoying reading it!