Colour: WHITE|Package Quantity: 1|Change

on 6 November 2013
I have four of these units. I purchased them because we have so many power cuts here that the ordinary mechanical timers are often not set to the correct times.
The first one I received did not seem to work at all (the display seemed to be frozen) but apparently you should first press the small reset button (above the week button) if this happens when the unit is first charged up (with a pencil or pen as it is recessed) as the instructions say . After this, all the functions work properly.

Having done this, set the current time and day by pressing the clock button followed by the hours and minutes buttons and set the day of the week by pressing the week button until the correct day is selected.(note you can easily change the settings for GMT or British Summer time ,see instructions).

The unit has ten program settings (i.e. times that you can switch a connected device on and off). It can be set to come on daily, or in groups of days or on a specific day of the week. To setup the program times press the timer button followed by the week button to select the day or days, followed by hours and minute buttons to set the "on" and "off" times . Make sure that when you set the "on" time for a specific day or period, that you set the "off" time for the same day or period. I did not do this the first time I used the timer and as a result the unit did not switch off on the same day. Seems obvious I know, but it is an easy and frustrating mistake to make.

The other thing to note is that there is a random button to make it operate at random times. I did not notice this at first and had accidently pressed it and as a result the units were not turning off when I had planned but much earlier. A small letter R is shown in the display if you press the R button. De-select it if you did not mean to use it.
Make sure you leave it set to auto after you have finished setting up the program times. It can be operated manually as well as by the programs.

The unit will operate modern low energy lights as well as ordinary lights (it has a relay inside which clicks the supply on and off) but it is NOT suitable for high energy loads such as emersion heaters or kettles or washing machines or any device that has a heating element inside it.
88 comments|162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2015
If you are sensitive to the faint ticking of manual timers, then this offers immediate relief as it is silent in operation. I'm pretty tech savvy but this could definitely be easier to set up. The worked example helps in this respect as I suspect most people will just use the on off once a day seven days a week option. That said, it's not exactly rocket science, you just need to work through it step by step. The switch to BST/ GMT via a one-press option is useful as is the fact that residual internal battery will save you from frustrating power outages. Can't comment on more complex or random settings as I have not used these.

The major downside I have found is the recessed shape. Standard plug, no problem but try a plug of the type you find on LED lights and you'll find it won't seat properly because it is oversize. This is a really bad and unnecessary design flaw that limits the application of these units.

However, that aside, so far so good. Mind you, reading the negative reviews on here I'm not optimistic of long life and trouble-free operation.

Update: this packed up after a day and now the light stays on all the time - unless you unplug the unit, leave it a few seconds and then plug it back in again (funny how the instructions failed to mention that step). I'll be returning this junk for a refund - as others have said - unreliable avoid - caveat emptor
on 8 December 2013
Spent quite a while setting up the programmes for this - it's simple but fiddly - but I got there. Plugged in a light to test and waited. Nothing. I decided to try the 'random' feature which is supposed to put lights on at random intervals between 6pm and 6am which would be ideal for my purpose. I waited and the light came on for a few minutes, went off again and then came back on a bit later. I thought it was working until it never went off again. The light was still on (and very hot) at 9am the next morning, 11 hours later. The only way I can have this unit attached to an unlit light is to choose the 'off' programme, otherwise it comes on and stays on permanently as soon as I plug it in and set to either 'random' or 'auto'.

Seller responded quickly offering a replacement (which was then out of stock), an alternative replacement (which got even worse reviews) or a refund which was very quickly processed. They get the 2 stars for the 'service'. The timer gets none.
on 15 May 2012
In general this time has been a big improvement to my standard of living. I needed it for my fish tank as I am out a lot so needed to be sure the fish and plants were getting enough/not too much light. The timer was delivered promptly and was fairly easy to set up.

However, I can only give the product 3/5 as it's very unreliable. I find that it works well for about a week and then suffers some sort of error that causes the timer to stop working and the screen to just show a series of random characters. This is easily fixed by using the reset button but this means that a) you have to spot the error has happened and b) as the set up is quite fiddly it's time consuming to have to do it every week or so.
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2012
I have 4 of these and one developed a fault where although it could be programmed it would not switch on or off.

I contacted the supplier .....ebinary LTD...whom agreed to replace or refund it, but insisted I pay return postage.

I pointed out that under the `distance selling` regs the seller was responsible for return postage if the item was faulty and under 6 months old. The seller then suggested that I cross out my address and write return to sender to avoid paying postage costs !!! I emailed back that this was illegal and fraud !!! Again the seller refused to pay return postage.
I contacted AMAZON in the hope they would mediate on my behalf as the seller sells on their website. AMAZON REFUSED to help me.
If a seller contravenes the `distance selling regs, I would have thought they would have breached some term ofr condition to sell on AMAZON.......apparently not.
FINALLY ebinary LTD have refunded the cost of the timer, without returning the faulty one.

Beware, not all third party sellers abide by the distance selling regulations !!!!

I contacted the manufacturer whom said there had been some issues with these timers when switching flourescents, but again couldn`t help me.
55 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2011
This is an excellent item to have around the home. Item arrived with instructions though I found it self-explanatory to setup. This is really a 'set and forget' device in that, once setup, you can forget about it. It will do it's job throughout the year. The backup battery (to memorise your settings) is rechargable off the mains.

I have 6 of these timers around the home doing their job. The only time they need attention around British Summer Time start and end. Even then, there is a combination of 2 buttons to switch to BST mode (+1 hour or normal time) and it will continue running.

Simple to use and reliable.
66 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2013
Again, worked for about a week, then completely unreliable. Ive wasted more money in heating a flat when absent, than I would have saved buying a better product.
on 18 December 2014
These are pretty good for their price. I have come across many dial based timers that cost a lot more but this has the advantage in that you can set 10 different schemes. Setup is a little convoluted but once configured work perfectly fine.

Although they clearly overhang the plug from above its not immediately apparent that plugging multiple ones of these next to each other can be a bit tight. For instance on a typical 4-way gang I could only plug these in every other socket as they would not fit next to each other.
on 28 October 2014
Nice a and simple to use product. Does exactly what I want it to do, turn my lamp on in the morning to get me out of bed!! Delivery was quick and no problems with the packaging. Digital screen which makes setting up the timer nice and easy. Can be used to set different combinations which is a nice feature, so you can have a few lights come on when your not home. Can't fault it, cheap, easy to use and arrived the day after ordering it.
on 6 January 2014
Have been using this for the last 2 months now and it is working perfectly. Bought this with a 2kW convector heater for the kids room and did not want to leave it on for the whole night so bought this nifty little timer. Programmed it to run for half an hour 3/4 times during the night to keep the room and so far it has been working perfectly. You can setup 10 programs on it which is just great. No complaints at all.Nice build quality.