Platform: PlayStation 3|Edition: Standard Edition|Change

on 7 January 2011
The last time I played a Sims game was almost 6 years ago on the Playstation 2. And I hated it. I found it boring and I just couldn't see the point.

So why did I decide to get The Sims 3 for my ps3? Well in truth, I didn't. That is to say that this game was gifted to me for Christmas from a well-meaning relative. Of course I was grateful for the gift, but inside I was sick to my stomach. 'Not this. Anything but this...' I thought.

But my goodness, how things have changed in the last 6 years.

The Sims 3 is a joy to behold. When playing, you get the distinct feeling of an actual living breathing world. A world in which you have real influence. Instead of mindlessly controling a sprite from above, you feel as though your Sim is really doing your bidding. You start to care about how your sim looks, if the rubbish has been taken out, whether dinner will be ready in time, or whether you have time to visit the book store before work... Ah, if only life in the real world was like this.
This game is lifestyle fantasy. Create a sim in your image and bestow upon him/her whatever traits your feel like.. Evil, Logical, Romantic, Lucky.. The list goes on.
Spend hours decorating your house, (decorating is free, but furniture costs). Set the lights, read a paper, watch tv, go fishing, socialise with other sims..
Just think of all the basic things that people do in real life and then imagine being able to engage in those activities without fear of anxiety or consequence. This is the central theme of The Sims 3.
It's not a strategy game, nor is it a Logic game.. It's more of a Simulator. A lifestyle simulator.

The game works smoothly on the ps3 as far as I can tell. No freezes or blips so far, and I'm well past the 10 hours of game time* that apparantly brings a save bug.
The controls are a breeze to learn, and having a function assigned to it's own button means that you will soon be controlling the on-screen action with ease.

The graphics are very pretty. They look slick and yet kinda cute at the same time.
The objects and such are easy to identify and interact with, and in-fact, the whole thing is so well put together than playing it is nothing short of an absolute pleasure.

So far my Sim has himself a nice little house and a job working at the local theatre. He's recently been promoted from 'Roadie' to 'Band Manager'. He's purchased a new bed, shower, and a guitar with his hard-earned wages. He's been practicing the guitar and has recently achieved a level of ability that allows him to play in public for money.
He also has a nice little bookshelf with a few books that reward him with skills in such things as cookery and logic-skill whenever he reads a few pages.
My sim also has a few friends, and he calls them on his cell phone sometimes to chat, organise parties, and to generally increase his social skill.
He's decorated his house with new wallpaper, a rug, and some flowers that make the place smell nice......

I could go on, but I won't. Lol. All I will say is that The Sims 3 is a very enjoyable game. It's clearly not for everyone however, and I tend to think that if you belong to what I like to call the 'fps. kill it! Kill it!' game-player category, then you could do better to keep looking. This probably isn't for you.

This is a game for people who enjoy a slower pace of things. A game for people want to escape into another world for a few hours.

Personally I like roleplay games, sandbox games, and puzzle games. I like games that make you think.
I don't like games where you just run from A to B and shoot everything in sight.
If you have similar thoughts to me about what games you like, then you will really enjoy The Sims 3.

A top quality game for a niche group of people. Gaming gold in my book.

*EDIT ADDED:
I've been playing this game for just over a month now and I've experienced absolutely no problems with any kind of bug. My Sim has not got stuck once, nor has the game failed to save.
Furthermore, the load times are not that long at all. Why people seem to insist upon this is beyond me.
Perhaps the natural divide between gamers is emerging once more. - those with patience and those without.

Still a 5 star game. Still not for everyone, clearly.
44 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 July 2013
I love the Sims, it's a game you can either dip into for a short while now and again, or find you've lost hours, days even, building the perfect home, getting your sim to move up in their job, or just being an evil tyrant and finding creative ways to kill your sims off. I've done it all in previous versions of the sims, and loved it. Unfortunately my computer was not up to the latest version of the sims when it came out, and I was doing most of my gaming on the PS3, so I got the PS3 version.

Thrilled as I was to be playing the Sims again, I found it a little awkward to control on the PS3 compared to the previous PC versions. The game also felt a little bit cut down compared to the scope of the PC games I was used to. Needless to say I did persevere with the controls and eventually became able to build ridiculous houses just like before. I actually got through three generations of the same family and various house moves before gaining the platinum trophy and deciding the time had come to kill them all off (I'm evil, I can't help it!) I intended to go back and make a new family but I never did and the game sat collecting dust for quite some time.

However I got a new PC earlier this year and I recently downloaded the PC version of the Sims 3 from steam. After only a few hours play I have already noticed how much better this game is suited to PC over consoles. The controls are smoother, it looks better (only a little better mind, the console version looks just fine) and there is more content. If you are able to play on PC, I would recommend that over the console version, but if not, and you would like to play the sims, the console versions are adequate, and a lot of fun can be had, it's just not quite as good an experience for me. I've now given away my PS3 version as for me it is better on the PC. This is not a "fangirl" talking, I love my consoles, I just think the sims is better suited to the PC. Thanks for reading!
44 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2011
Having played previous Sims games, I was eager to play this latest game, and you can definately see the improvements made by EA games. The details such as all the Sims appearences is better, I've only played this game for a couple of days and already hooked! You first create your family, choose to either move them in to a furnished or unfurnished home, within your Sims budget. Your Sim has wishes and challenges in their lives, you can choose whether they age progress or not, your female Sim can become pregnant, not like other Sims games where the baby just appears lol! Then your Sim can either go to the hospital or stay at home to have the baby Sim, once the baby is born you can interact with it a lot more than previous Sims games, then the baby grows up to a toddler, teen, young adult, adult then elderly. Each Sim has a birthday and you throw them a party, the Sim then blows out the birthday cake candles and that turns them into the next stage in their lives. You can also visit the town where there is everything and anything, bakery shop, book store, library, gym, spa, parks and other Sims homes etc. Haven't got to this stage in the game yet but I know once your Sims go to work, earn enough money you can move home to a bigger/more expensive home, also you can buy a vehicle. Another different aspect to this game is you can build upstairs in your homes, not just a bungalow type house! There's so much more to this game you'll probably find it hard to put down! Enjoy :)
on 14 January 2011
My daughter has been enjoying The Sims on the PC for years, although I have never tried it, but with EA's horrendous DRM I was unwilling to buy this latest incarnation to install on our home computer. So with The Sims 3 now being available on PS3 I decided to give it a try.

The PS3 controls take some getting used to, and I am still finding the zoom to be a nuisance, but the optional in-game tutorials are excellent. As a total newbie to The Sims, I was soon up-and-running and learning about the different facets of Sim life and my role in it. Changing locations (eg from home to somewhere in town) can be a bit slow, but it gives you the chance to sip your cold tea which has been sat on the side for hours because you're totally engrossed in the game!

Unless I've missed something, the 'online play' only seems to relate to creating and uploading clothes designs for your Sims to 'The Exchange' (where you can also view/download others' creations) and showing your Facebook friends just how much of your life you are wasting playing Sims 3! If there is a way to play 'properly' online then I haven't found it yet, and maybe someone can enlighten me?

I haven't noticed the same bugs (such as not being able to put an item down) that others have reported, but I have encountered a couple of glitches. One resulted in a disappearing microwave when I moved the surface it was standing on, and sometimes a bad moodlet won't go away when it should, and the only way to resolve this (or similar problems) is to save the game and switch the console off. Simply quitting and restarting the game doesn't do it.

I'm not keen on fast-paced, shoot-em-up type games and I'm not a regular gamer. PlayStation controls are still something of a mystery to me, but I can work them well enough to play this game, and although I wouldn't quite describe Sims 3 as 'relaxing' (I find I'm forever struggling to get enough done in my Sims day, much like real life!), its pace is enjoyable. I'm now hoping that the soon-to-be-released (March 2011) Sims Medieval will also be made available for console, as it sounds a lot like a cross between Sims and the long-running Settlers PC games, which should be a lot of fun.
on 23 August 2013
Like with any game from Sims Bustin' Out onwards, this will take over your life, got something planned to do that day? Don't switch this amazing game on because you won't get anything done!

The features from the PC version have been cleaned up, the graphics are better and there are so many more options to choose from.
Extra features:
Better town map.
More options for wall paper, paint, flooring etc
Game is more realistic now.
People will actually come to your door.
No lag and the game doesn't stick in places.
Bugs and glitches are fixed.
Easier to save.
More control options.

The only problem I had was with the amount of controls it was a big switch from PC to PS3 versions but I got used to it very quickly you just have to explore the options and check the manual if needed but you pick it up soon enough. I have the PC, 3DS AND 360 versions as well and this is by far the better option due to the graphics, the quality and all above mentioned. The controls are MUCH easier than on Xbox I gave up on that version because it was just too difficult to use and there were still bad glitches so PS3 is definitely the way.

It's an amazing game, I can't fault it and for the price it's incredible. Just so addictive I love it. Recommended to anyone who loves the Sims!!
on 11 April 2011
I have lost many hours playing this game and I have to say that overall I enjoy it, despite the slow load times when you move from location to location.

However, I was really disappointed to realise that you can't see your sims doing anything out of the ordinary. For example my sim entered an eating challenge at the bistro and I could only watch the outside of the building. If you go for the tour of the mauseleum you are asked if your sim should turn left or right in the tunnels but all you can actually see is the outside of the building. Similarly when your sim goes to work, or to a restaurant, or to the cinema.

If you call a fellow sim and invite them out to the cinema, they just stand outside it talking, maybe this was just me but I couldn't get them to actually go in and watch the movie, not that I'd have been able to see what they did if even if I had successfully gotten them inside.

So overall I really enjoying whiling away many hours working my sims up their chosen career paths and improving their houses. But I'm disappointed that you don't get to see a lot of the stuff your sim actually does.
on 21 June 2013
The Sims 3
PlayStation 3
Rated 12

Stats:
HD 720p (recommended) 1080i/1080p
1 Player
Requires 5.5GB minimum of free hard drive space.
Includes an EA Network Pass for online features.

Developed & Published by EA (Electronic Arts)

Story:
Live life as a Sim in a new improved Sim world by making wishes, opportunities and aspirations come true. Create a Sim from a range of customisable items and build houses with a pond or roof and even customise the decor to your standard.
So now your Sims would look more personalised than ever in The Sims 3.

Story Review:
There is no direct goal or objective in this game other than to live and fulfil your Sims desires. There is however 3 different sub goals that you have the option to complete and those are Wishes, Opportunities and life aspirations.
The Wishes are your Sims desires and they tend to pop up when the house wants cleaning, when it's time to upgrade the furniture to when a Sim wants a hug, etc. Wishes tend to keep going even when the Sim has fulfilled that wish before. and so this does get boring after a while. The Opportunities come in a set and are given to you when you've completed skills or have started work. If you've completed a set of opportunities then that'll tend to rack up your lifetime rewards or even give you trophies; however this can be time consuming to complete. Lastly the Life aspirations are set during 'create a Sim' mode and this will unlock when you've reached the maximum position in work, with friends or in skill.

With the mission objective being replaced by the above 3, it kinda bored me to the point of not completing more than 3 sub goals and there is no solid reason to complete them either, so I'd class it as a redundant feature.
Story gets 3/10 for the lack of direction.

Visuals:
Certainly not the best looking game on the market but it's an improvement on The Sims games. The problem with graphics is that you can't see the detail on the people like wrinkles or clothing. The detail is also lost on furniture and wallpaper making it blurred in places and looking a complete mess overall. Not only is the texture a washout but the colour is too where green is blue and red is green, etc; this tends to happen more on customising the wallpaper than anything else. Chosing an item of clothing is a doddle but it's distracting to know that they sometimes wear something entirely different to the clothing you'd picked, but not just the clothes, the hair too; where after a while playing, the hair would go all spikey.
So with the problems with the graphics being the way they are I'm giving the visuals 4/10

Gameplay: Karma
Well you already know about the 3 sub goals as mentioned in the Story review, but Karma plays an important part in this too, as these help speed the boring game up; especially if you're building up skills or just want the Sims to be in a better mood ready for school or work. The bad Karma options are good but these tend to have certain side effects with the sims, especially the one that deplets the mood of a sim completely; as they will end up stinking for life; making the other sims react negatively towards them forever unless the stinking sim dies of course.

Gameplay: Sims relationship and ageing
Sims can get pregnant from the "Try for a baby" option rather than the safe sex option of "Woo Hoo" and the mother gets anytime sickness to indicate she's pregnant, but why the hell can't she keep the same clothes on? why do you suddenly have to change when she starts showing. The clothing option at this point is limited which I don't like, in fact the whole game is centred around Sims wanting to change their image at each milestone; if you can call it that- I just call it the faffing stages. Anyway back on topic, once the baby has arrived and you've done the whole initiation thing, the father brings the baby into the house, or be it, an invisible baby into the house, because the mother always has the actual baby, yeah this is a glitch I've just mentioned; but anyway once the baby is looked after properly, it then ages up to: toddler, child, teenager, young adult, adult to elder and then death. But somehow outside AI sims have a hard time ageing up for some reason, so say like your sim has themselves a partner and the sim ages up to young adult; the outside sim won't age up with them, not even if you throw them a birthday party with a cake. So now your adult sim has child friends, which is rubbish as I would've liked it if the outside sims aged with your fellow sims. Relationship's go from: aquaintance, romantic interest, boyfriend/girlfriend, Fiancé/Fiancée to Husband and Wife. This gameplay can be fun at times but gets annoying when you can't age up a childhood sweatheart AI giving this part of Gameplay 5/10.

Gameplay: Build & Customisation
For once, stuff can be placed diagonally rather than straight up against a wall or something. You have the option of landscaping tools, different paints for the garden, add a pond, a ditch; it is possible to create a cellar with this feature, you've just got to line up the top of the wall with ground level, that's it; but for the sheer number of stuff to place in and around the house makes this the better part of the game and somewhat long lasting, the rest of the game gets boring after an 1 hour of play so it's given 7/10 because of the texture popping in and out on occassion and for the colour mix up as mentioned above.

Conclusion:
This game has a lack of direction with nowhere to go, because of the optional objectives giving me no reason at all to play this game, so I found it just too boring to play once I'd finished building that is. The building on this game is the best bit I'd liked, but it's just not enough. I've also got this underwhelming feeling that consoles get a raw deal when it comes to EA games cos' we always get the dumbed down version of their products than what the PC version gets and it's exactly the same with this game too; so for that reason alone it gets 2 stars overall. If EA are not prepared to give a fully bred game then I'm not prepared to give them a good score.
on 28 January 2013
I am an avid sims player and was really looking forward to sims 3, one thing I was most looking forward to was the many customisation options, there are a lot but ones that were supposed to be in the game were missing such as body sliders for women, necklaces, body piercings and tattoos, I also thought these could instead be added through the exchange, WRONG! The click control doesn't annoy me as much as I thought it would but the camera controls are pretty awful and the graphics on sims 2 were a lot...maybe not better but certainly easier on the eye. I am hugely dissapointed by the fact you can only make one family per lot, as I was looking forward to building many families, lots and buildings as I've done in previous sims games. It's not all bad, it's great that there is a console version with a lot of the PC features such as having kids, better houses etc but as with all sims, if its not on PC there's gonna be faults! It is so annoying that you cant see what goes on inside the town buildings, EA missed a big thing there. So far the best sims game for me was the urbz, if they just added the multiple family option of sims 2 and the PC like features of ps3/console and more customisation, no glitches and less complex viewing (this game and only this game, really does hurt my eyes!) I think it'd be perfect. Also freezes a lot and crashes all the time, i did really well with my progress, completed lots of wishes and promotions and then it froze and i lost everything. Since then am having trouble saving at all. Although its fun, its so glitchy that i spend more time annoyed by it than i do enjoying it, EA has a lot to answer for, i feel this was advertised falsely in a lot of ways because its nowhere near as good as I'd hoped. I would not reccomend this product at all, it freezes so much, I can hardly play it, I'm seriously thinking of part exing it at a game shop, what a shame! As for delivery this product came a day early so was very, very pleased.
on 15 May 2013
Do you aspire to play god? You can with this game.

You create your character(s) at the start, chose a place to live, and then away you go. You choose career, aims, goals, make friends and enemies, you can explore the area and go into town, an improvement over past Sims games. A nice twist to this version is "Karma". You can build up points by doing good or bad goals you are set, these points in turn can unlock more items and abilities within the game.

As before if a single Sim you can have relationships and work towards your family, or if your someone finally gets too much for you walk them into a room remove the door and let nature take it's course.

I could go on and on but if you know past Sims you pretty much know how this will be.

The controls on this version are as good as you'll get on a console, graphically it's great and there is a good fluidity, not too much interruption between loads and saves.

All in all, a very good update to a classic game.
on 6 February 2015
The Sims return yet again in this third full evolution of the long-running and always-expanding sim series.

The Sims 3 allows you to immerse your unique Sims in an open living neighborhood right outside their door, interacting with other Sims using the new, deeper personality system. The game also allows you to customize anything, anywhere.

Overall, the Sims 3 is superb evolution for the franchise and an impressive, enjoyable game in its own right. EA has obviously listened to criticism and worked hard to create a title that prioritises goal- based gameplay over micro-management to deliver an experience that's constantly engaging and thoroughly immersive. Occasional AI quirks cause starving Sims to wander off and play guitar, for instance, instead of eating their food but, mostly, it’s a polished title that's packed full of the humour and dry wit we’ve come to expect from the series. Will it steal some hardcore gamers off their perch? Perhaps, but we doubt they’ll admit to it...