Battlefield 3 (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation3Edition: StandardChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I am a rare breed a gamer that is i am over 50 years old!!
since my son obtained bf3 i am unable to stop playing it racking up 108 hours already.
The game is so realistic and apart from a few irritations it really does have it all.
everytime you play you seem to unlock something good for the guns or vehicles your using, and the awards system is nice with multi coloured ribbons adding up towards your medals.
when you first play dont worry to much about your KD as you will like me get mullered for a while until you learn the maps and get used to the guns and upgrades. Flying is tricky and i just cant do it but there are plenty of other vehicles which are easy to drive.
As you get better the game gets better if your reactions are slow due to age dont worry you can use things like claymores, very effective if you place them in well used places. The mortar can get you a few kills unhindered but dont fire too many shells before moving position as the enemy like to stalk the mortar crew and knife them.
In my opinion this is the best fps shooter on the market and if an old duffer like me can enjoy and do well that get it and give it a go.
good choice of game modes, great graphics and addictive gameplay.
dont talk about it get it.
dont buy it for the campaign it is truly a god of a multiplayer
if anyone is 50 or over and would like to be in a squad of oldies i can be found in bf3 as Oldbutnotcrap
Thanks for reading
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 March 2013
I have never played a BF game, i heard great things about and it but like a lot of people just stuck to the COD's of this world. Wow what a mistake on my part. A friend gave me a premium pack code for the game, so i dusted it off and fired it up and will never look back.
In fairness at first i sucked real bad i had no clue what was going on in some of the modes and my first trip in a plane ended up with me nose diving into a field.
So i went on you tube and watched some beginners tip videos and then i started to get it and boy oh boy once it gets it's claws in this game is one of the best most richest MPs ever.
I started out playing Team Deathmatches at first to get the swing of it and have just gone on to the conquest mode which is amazing
Remember always put yourself in a squad and stick with one gun at first as you get attachments for it automatically by killing people. At first your gun may be pants but it will end up a beast. Just be patient. Try not to just run and gun, be a soldier use your smarts and you will grow to love every minute of it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 November 2012
For the short version; the sound is fantastic, the graphics are as good as the trailers suggested and the gameplay is still pretty reasonable. However limits of these current generation consoles become apparent in several ways, with regular sound freezes and limited destructibility on larger maps, not to mention the multiplayer is still limited to a middling 12v12. With a frustrating lack of starting weaponry and equipment, it is pretty hard to maintain parity with long term players due to their huge advantages in vehicles compared to a new player, which means compared to Bad Company 2, you will essentially have to 'grind' in order to get anywhere.
For anyone who buys a non-premium version of Battlefield 3 you will be looking forward to a long slog to unlock anything useful, but will have great fun attempting it.

Bad Points:
Compared to Bad Company 2, the graphics are hazy, with many maps being covered in floating dust clouds that make long range aiming harder, combined with many indestructible buildings, makes some maps a little irritating and counter productive at times. Aiming also appears to be different as the autoaim seems to have more gravity, in other words unlike on BC2 where you can press aim and line up a headshot for yourself, Battlefield 3 seems to instantly teleport your sight to the enemy's chest. Great if you can't aim but I preferred the more subtle guidance BC2 gave.
The spotting system is just as glitchy, not always registering something you have been staring at for a minute while hammering the spot button.
The upgrade system is probably more intuitive in a way, as weapon upgrades are unlocked for the specific weapon you are using rather than overall. Ofcourse this means if you want to try out a different weapon you have unlocked, there won't be any gadgetry on it to make it as useful as whatever you used before. The benefits are quicker upgrading for the weapons you do use, but at the cost no overall upgrades for the weapons you don't. I'm not entirely sure it was executed properly.
The same holds true for vehicles, with each vehicle having it's own separate set of upgrades. Hoorah I thought originally, however I then realised that the much vaunted jet was an absolute terror to try and upgrade. With only a machinegun to start with, expect a lot of crashing and pointless deaths just to unlock the heat seeking missiles that would actually allow new players some sort of parity with the resident server airheads.

Good points:
The maps for BF3 are varied and interesting, there are a couple of Call of Duty-esk boxing ring matches that I usually avoid but for the most part, the maps allow for that productive, team based effort that is the hallmark of the Battlefield series. There are also a lot more
The vehicles, despite some annoying points already covered, are great fun. The jeeps are extremely useful, being mobile heavy machine guns, the tanks are still solid and require some taking down. Helicopters fly a little differently to Bad Company 2 but seem much more responsive to commands. Jets are great fun to fly about, even if you can't hit anything. APCs still are the bane of terrain and hiding infantry.
The return of the squad leader is fairly interesting, you can still spawn on any squad mates but the squad leaders are the only ones who can do attack/defend orders on points, this means everyone benefits from following orders are they all gain the experience boost of a fulfilled order - a good incentive to act as a team.

To summarise, if you haven't played Battlefield before, you'll probably not even notice most of what I have mentioned, if you have played Bad Company 2, I'd recommend BF3 if you want a slightly less intense feeling game. There are elements that will frustrate any player but they are counterbalanced by the fluid gameplay and the engine is still a glory to behold.
on 29 January 2012
Battlefield 3 is by far the best war game of the decade.
If your an online multipayer gamer then this is the best game for you its got superb graphics, gameplay is smooth and online servers are reliable.
It beats the entire call of duty franchise by far, and im not being bias i played all of them except mw3 (i didnt want to buy an expensive update for mw2), call of duty had its good parts it was fast paced and it had lots of gametypes but it quickly becomes annoying and people would start sending you crazy offensive messages if you killed them too many times.
Although call of duty does have better offline abilities with they're multiplayer and spec ops(or new name), which is great to play with your friends and is also what battlefield is missing, aside from this battlefield beats CoD entirely.
I find that the battlefield community is a lot more open and friendly in games and out of the game(on battlelog) aside from the obvious hate between pc gamers and console gamers which all games have to endure.
If you're ready to mature and join the realistic battle which will keep you entertained for years BF3 is the game for you.
on 1 March 2012
Not going into the game play I just want to mention something about those people who gave out a 1 star rating relating to possible lag issues etc...
I have a strange feeling this is related to their Internet Service Provider they are using and or modem/router issues. (I have MW3 also and this does lag badly a lot of the time but there are differences in multiplayer connections here)
I have a Broadband fibre connection 40mb+ download etc.. running off 1gb switch etc..With Battlefield3 I have run 3 PS3 stations at the same time on my network with perfect mulitiplayer connectivity NO lag etc...
So please check before giving this game a 1 star or else you might not get another game or improved game like this in future.
Recently in the UK the BE Broadband network had service problems which had been ongoing for months so please check your connections.

Battlefield 3 (PS3)
on 5 November 2011
While the campaign on this game is somewhat mediocre for a first person shooter, most people picking up Battlefield 3 are going to be interested in the online mode. In comparison, the multiplayer should be the selling point of this game - forget the campaign. Many want to compare this game to Call of Duty, and perhaps that's valid. As a basic comparison, Battlefield provides a somewhat more realistic and (dare I say) adult online environment compared to it's competition - don't expect to find a large community of snipers doing 'trick shots'.

Gameplay is far more team-based than most other titles and this works really well. If you're looking for something which resembles a typical deathmatch-esque shooter, this probably isn't the title for you - the Battlefield series isn't about running around alone shooting everything - there's much more strategy involved and playing a specific role is a must.

For a few quick points on the multiplayer:
+ Great selection of weapons which are largely well balanced.
+ The new engine looks great and functions well. Few glitches.
+ Getting into a game is surprisingly easy, I've had no issues with matchmaking.
+ Vehicles are very well implemented, adding a great deal of depth to the game.
+ Unlocks, unlocks, unlocks. Pretty much everything can be modified. However, it would be nice to have some more starting unlocks for vehicles, since you may struggle at first with limited aircraft weaponry.
+ Very good maps - beautifully sculpted, although destruction tends to change that pretty quickly!

- Some bugs do exist. Few are a problem, and should be patched soon. I'm yet to find anyone exploiting them.
- Menus are somewhat clunky (not terrible given the sheer amount of customisation). This is irrelevant once you're in a game, and so shouldn't stop you from buying it.
- Needs a mode for flight training. Would advise against jumping into air vehicles as a passenger for the first few weeks, since crashes are common for new players. Flying isn't too easy or too difficult, but does take some practice, which can be very frustrating for your teammates.

It's worth noting that patches are quite large in filesize, but do make a LOT of improvements. There's some indication they may revamp the UI to one designed by the community - DICE do listen to their customers.

Overall: It's a good game, with enough features to keep players busy for a LONG time. COD players should give this a go if they're looking for something a little different, since the two play very differently. Some bugs could use work, but with any luck DICE and EA will pull that together. With DLC coming as soon as December, it's looking like a bright future for this game.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 December 2011
I purchased MW3 on the week of release and despite being very tempted by BF3 the beta didn't tempt me sufficiently to purchase. If you are happily playing MW3 (and lets face it millions are) then please carry on - and enjoy. If on the other hand you are reading this then chances are, like me, you are becoming bored of MW offering little new at each instalment.
I didn't really want to review MW here but am finding it almost impossible to write a review without comparison.
The main reasons I have given up on MW are that the maps have become rat runs and there is almost no teamwork or any benefit to teamwork. This is where Battlefield takes over, the maps are enormous and it encourages your team to act exactly as a team. The addition of vehicles and a destructible environment significantly add to the enjoyment.
I have only ranked up a couple of times so far but there is a huge amount of potential for this game and I am enjoying it far more that MW3.
This is not the perfect game however. The buttons cannot be set up as per COD, the weapons set up is cumbersome and far from user friendly. The weapons aiming is taking some getting used to and there is a significant amount of recoil (then perhaps that's down to my lack of experience) Graphically it's not fantastic and on the PS at least MW looks better.
I would love to see the best of BF and the best of MW merged into one game but that is just not going to happen. I will update in another month but for the time being I'm going to conclude that for its faults this beats MW 3 by a mile.

EDIT 2 weeks on. I have not played MW once since i started BF. Nor have i been tempted to. It has taken me some getting used to. This game is very different to MW and i have had to learn all about FPS all over again. Apply MW tactics here and you will not do well. I have found both the jets and helicopters very challenging to fly and getting time piloting both is rare, so my skills are improving very, very slowly.
To conclude though MW the king of shooters is dead. Battlefield has taken the crown - and rightly so. It is better than MW in almost every single way and i am looking forward to spending many hours here.
on 9 January 2013
Before I start, I must say that I've always liked the COD-MW franchise and eventhough I played BF-BC2, but it didn't really appeal to me. However, when I played this one, I fell in love with it right away. It is more realistic than COD in everyway!! starting with the sound effect and ending with the game play and the environment.
If you are not a team player and kinda do-it-all or Rambo-style, then definitely, this is NOT the game for you!! You need to stick to your team/squad (eventhough you still get plenty of noobs who think that they can manage on their own).

CONTROLS: pretty much the same as COD
CLASSES/Weapons: this is where the fun is, and where you can define your career/role, and get a unique set of weapons/gadgets. I personally prefer the Engineer (not only because of the RPG, but also because I like the fact that you can fix vehicles, helicopters, or wreck enemies' ones)
VEHICLES/JETS/CHOPPERS: personally I believe that this is the best part about BF3, you can just jump in a tank/jet/helicopter and just wreck everything around you.. however, it takes a while to master them. I love the helicopters and the jets, they are the best.. I played different jet games (Ace combat..etc) but this is by far the best. Oh and btw.. you can also unlock stuff for each particular vehicle/jet/helicopter..etc
MAPS: Are great, some are too big (especially if you have the premium edition which I highly recommend), and so balanced when it comes to vehicles/jets/choppers..etc.
SERVERS: great.. Unlike COD, you can actually search for servers and refine your search with maps, campaigns..etc (like Valve's counterstrike if you've ever played it)
CAMPAIGN: Looks good eventhough I haven't spend much time playing it.. I mean this is mainly an online game

To sum up.. This game is a great game if you like playing as part of a team and have a good internet connection. I still play COD (mainly splitscreen with my brothers, which you can't do with BF3).
I can see myself playing this game for months/years.. When I started playing it I used to spend 7-10hrs a day but now down to 2-4hours :)

One last advice... Pay the extra £10-20 to get the Premium edition as it is well-worth it (more and bigger maps, new vehicles/jets..etc, faster progression, more tags..etc), the premium edition gives you access to all the 5 expansion packs (each costs over £11 if you get them individually through the PSN). I bought the standard one thinking that I can buy the expansion packs later, but when I made the calculations, I found out that it will still be cheaper to buy the premium edition on the top of the standard one.
on 16 July 2012
Let me explain my reasons for the title to this review, just finished main campaign thought it was really good (a little slow to get going) 1st few missions i thought were very unmemorable, where as the last 4-5 were epic,
Now onto the multiplayer which I'm sure is why most BF3 people buy these games, at first it was really good unfortunately now unless your lucky enough to get in on a game where its pretty much all normal rules, you'll either get kicked by the admin or crippled with rules set by admin which makes the game totally unplayable and no fun (come on that why we all play these things surely)Dice / EA need to take back the multiplayer from all these spurious admin server thingamagiggys and just set the rules for all like it was when they 1st released the game. Let people who want to have private games where only the certain few can have the planes and tanks have there little games and let the rest of us just play.
Ok rant over good game decent length campaign (in todays terms)
Broken multiplayer
Thanks for reading

EDIT 28/08/2012
taken from eurogamer website seems ea/dice have listened to the true fans and added some more dedicated DICE servers:-

"We have heard your wish for more official DICE servers," a statement on the official Battlefield 3 blog reads. "As of now, we have effectively quadrupled them on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"Note that you will still be able to get quick matched into any ranked server. For the best results if you want an official DICE server, please refer to the manual server browser and enter 'DICE' as a search term. If you go to the Server information screen, all official DICE servers will have the owner set to 'DICE'. Remember that you can favourite servers that you like so you can easily find them again on your next session.

Can't comment on how well this is working as to be honest to busy playing other games at the moment but you never know this might help the online aspect.
on 5 January 2012
I bought this game after being a cod guy for many years. I had previously played the battlefields on my computer many years ago and decided to try this out as it looked great and had brilliant reviews.

Once I received this I knew I had made the right choice; everything about this game is amazing. Admittedly the campaign isn't great, very standard for a fps and had no follow ons from previous games, however the multiplayer completely makes up for it. The levels are expertly created with many different landscapes, the vehicles are great fun when you get the hang of them and the huge array of guns and equipment you can get gives you an endless amount of classes you can create.

Now for the graphics... I have never ever experienced graphics as good as these, they are so realistic and detailed, nothing is missed out from anything and every little detail is captured. Along with the gaming engine of Frostbite two it is outstanding, scenery can be completely obliterated, buildings destroyed, tanks can even be driven straight through walls and whole buildings can collapse. This makes the game extremely realistic and in my eyes it stands out from the other fps' out there that only offer fast paced games.

The main con with this game is that it is only one player, offline there is nothing to do except the campaign. This does make it useless to anyone who loves to have friends round to game with so I would not buy for multiple people who play on a console in the household. I would also recommend that if you have a good computer for gaming that you buy it on PC; mainly because this can offer better graphics if you do have a good graphics card, plus you can have up to 64 players on one game as opposed to the 24 players on consoles.

Overall I think this game, apart from the campaign and offline multiplayer, can hardly be faulted . With the frostbite two technology, expert maps, a huge array of vehicles and endless fun, this game is a must have for any tactical loving gamer.