on 20 April 2013
I am afraid I don't have the correct taster's terminology to accurately describe just how good this rum is. However, I first tried this on a trip to the carribean some years ago and was pleasantly surprised at just how smooth (& sweet) a traditional spirit can be. I have since discovered, not surprisingly, that the Eldorado 12 y.o. has won the Gold medal at the Carribean Rum Taste Test (held in London) a mere 7 times. IMHO it is unsurpassed except by other El Dorado products, the 15 & 21 y.o. Which have won similar accolades.
I have tried this on some "Single Malt" experts and they were a delighted as I was!
Don't let the price put you off this really is nectar and worth every penny *****
on 7 January 2016
I have only been drinking rum for a couple of years but I can honestly say that of the 1/2 a dozen or so quality rums I have tried that El Dorado 12 year old is one of the smoothest rums I have tasted . Some rums seem to leave a sort of earthy or smoky taste in my mouth but this rum is superb .
on 6 August 2015
Truly delicious. Had some in the Carribean 10 years ago and have remembered ever since. When you tell people you can drink it neat with ice they don't believe you till they try it. Saw it yesterday in the Lithanian Duty Free and bought a bottle (26.90 euros!). Forgotten just how nice it was and didn't realise quite what a good price that was - wish I'd bought more. Still good value at £34 especially if you get free delivery.
on 5 January 2016
Awesome golden rum! I can't recommend this particular brand and aged-year highly enough. Perhaps I shouldn't be so positive so I can keep it all to myself? Really though, for the money it just doesn't get any better than this. It is as it states though a darker demarara, Caribbean in-style.
on 22 March 2016
As a Rum enthusiast I always have a bottle of El Dorado 12 in my collection. Excellent value for money and still can't make up my mind if I prefer more the El Dorado 12 or the Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva
on 15 November 2015
I have had some friends around and tasted both this (£30) and Ron Zacapa Centenario XO Solar Gran Reserva (£90), and everyone agreed that the El Dorado was a far better tasting rum with much more complex flavours despite being 1/3 of the cost of the Ron Zacapa! It is a bit on the sweet side with hints of toffee, vanilla, tobacco and a little wood. It is a truly wonderful rum and I would highly recommend it. Just please do not use it as a mixer, it is far too nice to be wasted in that role!
on 17 October 2015
A few glasses of this and all is right with the world. Don't mix it, just grab yourself a big, fat Havana cigar to go with it.
on 11 December 2015
Very tasty and good quality rum. Not too experienced with this spirit but this one is one of the best I've tastd so far.
on 17 January 2014
Both the Rum and the recipient are fine, noble and deserving of respect. It was a small gift... but, then again, this was only his first Christmas gift. Buy, enjoy, share... - Martin Higgins
on 13 February 2016
This is a super smooth aged rum, bought for my husbands birthday but we find difficulty finding it locally.