Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 April 2007
This book is a wonderful summary of the story of modern physics without using a single equation. The many new ideas that were introduced into physics in the 20th century are explained clearly with easy-to-follow diagrams and many analogies from everyday life. If you were always afraid that physics is way over your head this book is for you!

In addition to the physics the reader is also introduced to Einstein the man, they way he lived and the way he thought. Although some controversial points are smoothed over or skipped the reader still gets a good picture of the genius at work, his trials and tribulations and yes, his mistakes as well.

The book was written with lazy readers in mind. If you like to skip right to a specific chapter, the book is written with many repetitions of basic ideas and cross references to earlier sections where various ideas are explained, so you can start reading at any chapter.

An excellent book for the non-physicist.
on 28 September 2010
A great insight into Einstein. Easy to follow and understand. No formulas or maths which is great for the beginner. However it mentions effects of for example relativity when travelling at a certain percentage of the speed of light. It doesn't tell the reader how these results were obtained.

It delves into the history physics and the history of Einstein which is all very interesting.

I would recommend this for a beginner but also interesting for someone more experienced.

A good book, easy to read.
on 14 May 2014
This book can be criticized on many points. There is a long lead in about Einstein's life and is very detailed and unnecessary in my view. The book is better at explaining family matter in Einstein's life than anything else. In the theory-section of the the book, many stand alone sentences appear in the beginning, middle, or end of paragraphs, which disrupts reading flow. This requires re-reading and denotes a distinct lack of acknowledgement for the reader. The book has a subtitle of "Been explained in plain English". I do not agree. It assumes a lot of knowledge. It is not "for dummies". The book interjects with issues to do with Einstein's life and this distracts from the issues at play on physics. It is poorly written from that prospective and is designed to give color to a book perhaps more concerned with Einstein's life and times than anything else. There is also heavy emphasis on the up and downs of Einstein's academic career as a student. You get the feeling from reading, that the man was going nowhere without the help of other people and teachers that could crush him easily. What he failed and passed, who obstructed him and who didn't. The book is quite fragmentary and one issue does not lead on to another one. It is not for dummies and should be revised for the sake of a novice reader.
on 9 November 2011
This is a very good book if you want to get to grips with special and general theory of relitivity! came 2 weeks late but overall this was a very good purchase! :)
on 4 December 2011
Not finished reading yet but quite enjoyable read.
Covers einsteins life, not just his theories. Tells of his early life and schooling and how he became interested in physics.
on 18 March 2015
Good informative book, properly aimed at people with an interest in the topic. Not mathematical knowledge required (as opposed to the Quantum Physics for Dummies book)
on 9 March 2012
I bought this as a joke present for my friend's birthday, he liked it and it arrived in perfect condition and on time. Thanks very much.
on 14 January 2014
At long last I have a (small) level of understanding of Einsteins theory's .... With having to get into the maths.
on 15 May 2014
I read this book after having attempted to read other works by Einstein on relativity, which frankly I found unreadable. I now feel that I have got to a point in this subject matter where I need to take a step back and look at other things. I have always had a keen interest in physics but now believe that knowledge is not as straight forward an acquisition as maybe I once did. My delving into this subject in particular has made me more sceptical if anything. One of the areas of this book I found perhaps most interesting was Einstein`s view on religion. He seems to have his own particular religious beliefs which envisage a higher spiritual power which governs our universe. This I find interesting because there seems to been an enduring argument between the religious and the scientific camp as to who holds the higher ground, if you like. Scientists seem to be just as indulgent in their need to explain everything - Now! - as do the religions. It is a kind of neurosis. I personally am beginning to be entertained by the thought that we in fact know very little! And that is fine!
The book Einstein for Dummies is not particularly special. It repeats the same old things which can be read in numerous other books. However, if you are like me, a novice in this subject matter, then this is probably as good a place to start as any. I remain of the opinion that no-one really seems to understand the difficult concepts like relativity. But I am also revising my understanding of the concept of understanding! When do we really `understand` something? After all, most of the time we are merely offering our confirmation of having processed and committed to memory information of some kind. I `understand` that `gravity` is holding us on this planet, but as to what gravity really `is`, who knows. I am now going to turn my attention to the humanities I think!
on 7 March 2016