on 2 February 2011
The Lonely Planet's guidebook was incredibly helpful on my recent trip to Egypt. I used it for extensive pre-holiday research and planning, then it never left my side during the trip. Extremely useful maps, contact information, historical sites etc. The restaurant reviews were particularly helpful as we enjoyed fantastic food throughout (Sofra & Oasis Cafe in Luxor, Chef Kahlil fish restaurant in Aswan and Emara Hati Al-Gish in Cairo were the highlights).

Aside from all the extremely helpful practical guides and reviews, there were also fascinating insights into modern Egyptian politics, modern culture and outlook, ancient egyptians/pharoahs, heiroglyphs, gods etc.

This guidebook allowed us to travel independently and set our own itinery with all the necessary information at our finger tips. Our whole experience was enriched greatly by this book.

Highly recommended!
on 7 September 2011
Good travel guide if you are visiting the whole of Egypt e.g. not just Luxor. I prefer to buy specialist books that deal with specific areas of travel e.g. Luxor, Nile Cruise, rather than a general book that covers everywhere but not in great depth. (But this is purely a personal choice) Good price on amazon at the moment - as most Egyptian books are - probably due to the unrest in the country which is keeping most visitors away. Don't be put off, I had a great holiday and saw no signs of trouble whatsoever.
on 14 October 2012
The good news is this book is created with the quality paper and pictures of previous Lonely Planets I've purchased (the 2012 photos look like photocopies, and the paper is of reduced quality).

The flip side is that this was created before the revolution, therefore, some of the information is slightly out of date, and the prices listed are definitely different in 2012 compared to 2010.

That said, it still provides a good quality guide with all the basics you need to set you on your way.
on 20 October 2013
Bought this for my last vist to Eygpt,last year. The information was very good and pointed me in the right directions to help me enjoy my stay.
My rating being low is more because while in Luxor it was nearly impossible to walk in the streets and enjoy the sights without being plagued by sellers every few yards.
I will purchase other country guides in the future from the lonely planet range but will probably not return to Eygpt.
on 15 May 2011
We went on an organised trip so this was used as a reference for culture and sites that we would be visiting. It was a very good guide with good tips on the tricks that some of the Egyptians try to use to make a sale, commissions etc, however our tour guide gave other tips such as on how to bargain etc as they are from the city. Thoroughly enjoyed other travellers' experiences in the book. Would recommend it.
on 4 November 2011
This is a lovely book, but before I ordered it I read the reviews and it was said to be a comfy pocket size to carry. Well whoever wrote that must have huge pockets. It's very heavy, and quite big and I won't be taking it with me. I am reading it before hand, but taking a Berlitz pocket guide (which is pocket sized) with me.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 August 2011
To enjoy all that this marvellous country has to offer, some homework beforehand is essential. This little book is ideal, not only because it is filled with information and photographs but because it is an ideal size too, small enough to be carried, even in the Egyptian heat.

A good companion to any other guide books.
on 23 May 2011
I like Lonely Planet guides and this was no exception. I spend a lot of time before trips going through these guides to maximise the time I am there. Sorting out what excursions are must do and which are not is best done at home with plenty of time rather than under the pressure of a tourist/sales guide.
on 13 June 2014
liked : generally good guide
disliked: not detailed enough. Should be more on how to find entrances &c (the perimeter of a site can be miles) details about getting boats ferries & cruises (where & how much) and why don't they tell you the airport prices & what the duty free is like?
on 24 March 2013
Full of useful and interesting bits of information. The safety tips are particularly relevant to recent times. Thoroughly recommend to anyone who is travelling to Egypt.