Sloman's Economics has understandably become the most successful European-originated introduction to economics. The text has been carefully developed over four editions with one overriding aim- to make the subject of economics exciting, relevant and as clear to understand as possible. John Sloman combines a direct and straightforward writing style with a wealth of contemporary examples, which illustrate theory and practice and bring the subject alive for students. This combination provides students with an unrivalled learning tool for their first course in economics.
The fourth edition retains many of the popular features of the previous edition, but has been extensively revised and updated to reflect changes and address new and contemporary issues. The four-colour design has been further improved and several new features added to make the book even more attractive to use.
· Each chapter now begins with a full-page introduction and 'chapter map'. This sets the scene for the chapter, helps students to see how it is structured and how the various topics relate to each other. NEW!
· Many boxes, spread throughout the text. These provide case studies, person profiles, institutional material, news items, contemporary and historical debates and issues, anecdotes and advanced topics.
· All key terms are highlighted in the text where they first appear and defined at the foot of that page. New for this edition, each term is also included in a glossary at the end of the text and highlighted in the index for quick reference. NEW!
· Web references, integrated throughout the text and highlighted by an icon. The student is referred to a comprehensive list of sites, compiled into an appendix at the back of the book. NEW!
· An increased use of examples drawn from around the world. NEW!
· Self-assessment questions are embedded in the text and further questions are given at the end of each chapter.
The text is accompanied by an excellent range of extra learning and teaching materials; these enable students and tutors to maximise their use of the book.
The Student Workbook and Reader, written by John Sloman and Mark Sutcliffe, is filled with genuine news clips and review questions and exercises. This is an invaluable source of revision work for examinations and provides the students with extra real-world information. It also provides exercises, projects and readings for use in seminars and classes.
The excellent CD-ROM, developed to accompany Sloman's Economics, has been updated, revised and extended for the fourth edition and includes-
- Tutor's Guide and Answers
- PowerPoint slides
- Reverse image PowerPoint slides for easy printing on to acetate. NEW!
- Test bank of multiple choice questions
- Case studies
The Sloman Economics web site, specifically designed to complement the text, is frequently updated and offers a wealth of additional material for both lecturers and students.
JOHN SLOMAN is Head of School of Economics at the University of the West of England, Bristol.