on 15 February 1998
A be-youtifully done mini-course in how eclipses happen and how the layman can enjoy observing them. I have a low tolerance for statistics, yet the details of this book are all simply stated and thoroughly illustrated. It doesn't take a lot of precision equipment to prepare for a safe viewing, and if you're prepared, you can gather your friends and say "Wow!" along with the very enthusiastic author, who warns that people have gotten hooked on eclipse-watching and -recording. The tone is just right: the first chapter answered all the questions I was ashamed to ask, without oversimplifying. Outlines are given for specific upcoming eclipses, starting with February 1998.
on 12 May 1999
I have been planning my trip to view the August 1999 total solar eclipse for a few years now. It's almost here!! Thanks to this book, the best about eclipses by far, I am ready! Chapters detail traveling to other countries, what to bring, how to photograph eclipses, and even information about *every* eclipse between now and 2017. It even gives details about expected climatological conditions!
This book is more than solar eclipses, however. It also gives me new appreciation for lunar eclipses as well. There is a beauty coming up in January 2000 that will be visible right from my backyard. I'm now ready for that one, too!!
on 28 July 1998
Total solar eclipses are mother nature's rarest and best trick: for a few precious moments, a blackness replaces the sun.
This book answers the what-where-why, as well as capturing the awe of total solar eclipses, and also covers the related phenomenon of lunar and partial solar eclipses.
The book has the technical integrity to not "talk down" to the audience while still being interesting to the non-scientist.
on 22 May 1998
I picked this book up in the library but it's one I will own. In one chapter all my questions about how eclipses work were answered and much more. Harrington has helped me discover the wonder and uniqueness of each upcoming eclipse, even if I won't always be on the right continent to observe them myself. An excellent guide book for everyone from the simply curious to the avid eclipse chaser.
on 12 December 2014