on 24 March 2003
For me this is the definitive book of the Legends of Lone Wolf Series. It is the starting point for the book set.
Dever and Grant are a great pair of writers and this book is a finely crafted work of art. The imagary is great and the chapters blend together in a fantastic method. It may seem complicated at first, and the opening chapter on the gods can seem a little heavy. The way the chapters flit between the different characters can seem a little off putting and even annoying to start. My advice; stay with it...
It really is a fantastic book, you get the background on Silent Wolf (later to become Lone Wolf) and other prominant characters from the set. It takes you through the eradication of the Kai elite at the hands of the evil wizard Vonotar joined forces with Zagarna.
Once you start this book you will not be able to put it down. This is the highest I have ever rated a book and I would not think there is another to match it (certainly not within the series).
on 15 March 2010
Since reading the Legends of Lone Wolf series as kid i've read 100s of books in authors of all genres, from Tolkien to Dostoyevsky, from Jane Austin to Jumhpa Lahiri and I enjoyed this set of books as much as any of them. They have aged well and give me the same level of interest and plot complexity that I enjoy them as much as an adult now as I did when I was a child.
I emigrated to America 5 years ago and it wasn't long before these books made it over with me. One of the saddest things in literature for me is that the series remains unfinished. One of the many high points of the 12 book series that maintains quality with each edition.
on 8 November 2012
This book is the first in a series I remember reading when younger. Its a near perfect dark fantasy for teens with a great blend of action and humour. The characters are distinct, easy to identify with and times leap off the page. Hope to see more of these on kindle soon.
on 24 June 2013
Brilliant book in the vein of LOTR. I read this a long time ago in my teens and now in my early thirties it still stands out as an excellent novel. Try it if you enjoy Tolkien and similar