Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 September 2012
Well, apart from making my own ultra-running efforts seem equivocal to a jog to the bus-stop, I have to stress that you don't need to be an ultra-runner to enjoy this book. The writing engages, inspires, it's easy to read and wonderful to feel raw passion (no pun intended) leaping out of the pages without arrogance, preaching or indeed any inkling of being better than or above anyone else. The glimpse that the chapters give of the drive and determination behind Mr Jurek's success is enough to inspire anybody to clamber off the couch and do something more than you did yesterday! Bravo! - This is a wonderful read, a fascinating keyhole view into your personal world and I firmly believe that you could probably convince the King of the Jungle to go vegan - even if just for a week!
on 23 October 2012
Having just got back into running after several years resting due to an injury, I discovered this book whilst looking for an inspirational read. This is not the type of book that I would normally read but I'm so glad I did. It is a wonderfully written and well researched book that I found hard to put down. Scott tells his story with modesty and humility and is as equally honest and open about the lows in his career as the highs.
I was truly inspired by his courage and strength both mentally and physically and it was such a joy to follow his journey throughout this book. His recipes at the end of each chapter are simply an added bonus, especially if you are vegetarian and it's useful to know why certain foods are important in (a runners) diet. I wasn't aware of many of these races yet after reading the book I felt I had been introduced to places and cultures I hadn't known existed which in itself is inspiring and educational. Every bit of his success is well deserved and he has my utmost respect and admiration. I have no aspirations to compete in an ultra marathon but my own goal to run a marathon next year seems now quite a modest achievement but one that with the right training and mindset I know I will achieve. Thanks Scott, a fantastic book!
on 5 July 2012
After looking forward to this book I was very impressed with the end result. jurek comes across as an individual with tremendous humilility especially considering the achievements he has made in his chosen field, a refreshing change from "team karno!".
Although I have never had aspirations towards veganism I fully respect and relate to the arguments Scott puts forward to his leanings but again he appears to be no pontificating zealot. his basic inclusions for tips on running technique should be considered as gold dust for any aspiring ultra runner, that's coming from someone who just completed his first competition run, a 70mile ultra with no problems whatsoever by employing practically all the said advice, barefoots good & race flats rule!
on 14 August 2012
Being a keen vegetarian runner, I found this book inspirational ,motivating aswell as practically helpful. Having tried all the recipes I now have a new outlook on post race and pre race foods and recovery. I would readily recommend this book to all other keen runners out there as it has put the meaning in the phrase 'food for thought'
on 19 March 2013
If you are a runner or simply a fitness enthusiast this is a must read. In response to people who think Jurek is a bit self important, I didn't get that impression at all. He worked hard for what he achieved, like he says many time in this book he wasn't the most naturally gifted athlete but worked harder than anybody. Good luck to him.

Throughout the book there are recipes and tips which won't be to everyones liking but like most of these books, you can take something away from it that you can apply to your own training or diet.

Another nice thing was to read the "Copper Canyons" story from another perspective.

Great book well worth reading for any moderate to serious amateur athlete.
on 30 October 2013
Ok - I know it's autobiographical - but I expected more from this. It's lightweight, Scott Jurek is self absorbed - appears to be completely oblivious to the impact of his actions on other people, and ultimately annoyed the heck out of me. I expected there to be more about his journey to a plant strong life, and kept waiting for him to impart some guidance to some of the lesser mortals like me on how he trains and the nutrition that he uses (which is why I bought the book) - it never came. It's mostly about the trials in his life and how he's a great guy because he overcame. If I'd found this in a bookshop, then having flicked through it I would have put it down again.
on 10 November 2012
Whether you are a runner or not, this book is inspiring. The accounts of the races are enthralling and punctuate the fascinating life story of a guy who, despite all evidence to the contrary, seems to see himself as pretty ordinary. There are moments of almost painful honesty, which only adds to the likeability of the bloke. Don't discount the vegan recipes either; the chilli is a revelation.
on 1 July 2015
Scott Jurek takes us through the slow burn that ultimately spits out a super athlete. In doing so he demonstrates the power of friendship, parental teachings (intended or otherwise) love, grit and sheer knowing what it is to endure.

He packs a punch with his honest appraisal of what makes the ultra runners, super athletes, tick. He shares his insights on " the becoming" the spaceless, timeless, beingness that is the zone. He never preaches, never flinches from painful insight and shares the power of competition in making him who he has become, an all time inspirational runner, who can motivate those of us who think 13.5 miles is quite a long way.

Even if you never leave your bed, this book is a love poem to parents, partners and friends. I recommend it.
on 23 February 2014
I was recommended this book by a friend of mine - an aspiring marathon runner. Being more of a Sunday afternoon park shufffler, I was unsure if this book was really for me. Therefore, I had more than a hint of trepidation when I had bought it, and whether I would see it through.

However, what I soon realised was this was not really about a book of running, but more about the life of a person searching for himself. Running, eating healthily, testing the mind to its limits, was the author's means of doing this - all in a manner of quiet humility. Quite inspiring to know how what humans generally are capable of. For when the chips are against you, you have a choice - either find a corner and curl up, or grit your teeth and push on... highly recommended.
on 22 August 2012
I bought the book on the back of an interest in Ultra-Running and obviously Scott Jurek is a legend. I found this book to be interesting, informative and very hard to put down. His insights into running, nutrition and life are feel good. My wife, who has no interest in running, also found in a good read.