Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 May 2009
I was looking for a stats book that would explain everything in plain english, to help me through my Clinical Psychology Doctorate interviews. When I saw this book I had to buy it immediately as I had the pleasure of being taught by Mark Forshaw many years ago at Coventry and he was by far and away the best lecturer we ever had - always making the mundane and hard to follow topics funny and understandable. I was not disappointed. I read the book from beginning to end in 2 afternoons and actually enjoyed it! It covers all the main areas, and stats, that you need to know in a way that actually makes sense. This book gave me enormous confidence going into my interviews and I've ended up with an offer from Manchester and a reserve at Leeds. So thanks Mark! Even after all these years your approach works the best.

I've never left a review for anything before but I can't recommend this book more highly - buy it if you want to understand the basics of stats in Psychology, it'll serve you well!
on 10 February 2009
Getting your head around statistics can be a very daunting task, especially for first year psychology students who have little or no prior knowledge of statistical concepts. Easy Statistics is a book I would recommend to all single and joint honoured psychology students; it's written in a clear concise manner with humours lines here and there just to lighten the mood of such a dull topic. It's easy to follow and the author gives clear cut details of the things you really need to know, unlike many other statistical books I have read which waffle on about the history of how these statistical calculations came to be!

It really is a book that walks you step-by-step through everything you will probably ever need to know for your Bsc Psychology degree at Undergraduate level. This book is well worth the investment and I honestly can't recommend it strongly enough. I am presently a First year psychology student who went from not knowing anything about statistics to being able to sit a statistical exam and come out feeling very confident.

Bsc Psychology
on 26 March 2012
I stumbled across this book in a public library by accident and thank godness i did! This is an absolutely excellent book for anyone who is not familiar with statistics when embarking on a Psychology degree or any other degree requiring stats.

I often found in my lectures that the Lecturers would talk about 'Variance', 'ANOVAs', 'T-Tests' etc, often in relation to commands on SPSS, without actually explaining the fundamental basics of what these tests meant and what they were looking at. Therefore, i found myself running through 'steps' with statistics without really understanidng what i was doing.

That is where this book came in - it explains everything simply but effectively and, once reading, i felt like for the first time i actually understood the 'point' of the tests and what they were looking at. I found myself feeling alot more comfortable with statistics and even explaining the tests to others using the analogies from the book. The book gives you a sound basis for understanding and using statistical tests using plain English and ,once you read this, stuff starts making a whole lot more sense!

I now have my own copy of this book which, despite having graduated, i still refer to whenever i have to perform any stats in my job. My only regret is that i didnt discover it sooner!
on 21 November 2012
I didn't like this book at first. I originally studied physics, so I'm not afraid of seeing a bit of mathematics. I had a quick flick through initially and immediately thought the whole book seemed a bit too 'wordy'. However, after reading through the first few chapters, I realized the value of this book. It explains in a very insightful way, why the statistics are useful and when to use them.

In my opinion though, I recommend reading this in conjunction with a basic mathematical book on statistics to get a full understanding.
on 7 November 2010
I bought this book in desperation facing a year of stats lectures that were going completely over my head. This book has been great in giving a very down to earth explanation of what the terms mean and how they can really be used. If I had one criticism, it's that it lacks some depth in places, but I reckon for those bits I'm interested in, I can look to more in-depth texts.
on 10 March 2011
I was recently shortlisted for an interview for the DClin Psych and bought this book as part of my preparation. It was really easy to understand and seems to be written in 'plain English.' I was also able to get some additional information from the author regarding a stats question which was equally as useful. THANKS FOR A GREAT BOOK!
on 24 March 2013
This book will help anyone who is studying psychology , it shows all the different statistical tests. Very useful, it helped me get a 2.1 in my research methods
on 2 June 2013
This is very good at explaining the logic behind the various tests - quite useful and helpful. But it could do with examples for clarification.
on 22 February 2015