on 26 October 2010
Having used a variety of Lonely Planet Guides in various countries, including an earlier edition of this one, this comes up to the usual standard expected of this prestigious publishing company.
One of the drawbacks is the time taken between writing, editing and publishing, which inevitably causes the information to be slightly behind the times.
Recent natural events e.g.earthquakes,tsunamis and volcanic eruptions necessitate referral to the internet to get the latest accurate info. to avoid plans coming 'unstuck'.
Tourism is receiving a lot of emphasis in Chile and there are constant improvements being made in communication infrastructure e.g new roads, improved roads and bridges, but even the Tourist Offices are not aware of all that is going on! perhaps that's all part of the adventure.
on 14 May 2014
I have used other Lonely Planet guides before, but this one turned out to be very disappointing. Yes, it's not the newest book out there, so prices are a little different etc, that is not the problem. The problem is the logistical flaws in the information it talks about. For example, when the book says 'This hike in the national park is 8km' what it really should say is that in reality when you arrive at the park, like I did, you will find that it's a 20+km walk to the start of this hike, and 8km on the actual hike, then 20+km to return. So without a car, you can forget it...unless you have 3 or 4 days to spend walking to and from it with a tent and food supplies. Only I went there thinking 'the hike is only 8km' and was bitterly disappointed when i realised it wasn't and WAIT, I didn't have a car, because Lonely Planet had forgot to mention I needed a car, as it was 'only 8km'. And I also didn't have a tent..

Another thing it says is 'you can rent horses outside the park'. I interpreted this to mean that I could rent a horse OUTSIDE the park. So I arrived there expecting to find horses OUTSIDE the park only to discover that 'outside the park' to lonely planet means there are farms along a 5km stretch of road leading up to the National park, which once you have walked it after first going to the park you will find that all the horses have already been rented! because you're hours later than everyone else... Oh how i was annoyed and disappointed.

So this is the last time I will be buying a lonely planet guide book. Maybe I'm just naive for believing in all the details, but I at least expect distances to be told correctly in a guide book. If they are going to feature a place and talk about the things you can do there, at least include all relevant information and correct distances otherwise it's very misleading.
on 14 August 2014
Good price and good condition.
on 26 May 2011
Although the book came with a small bending mark at the back, the price was unbeateable and the shipping was pretty fast, so overall I was very happy and the small bending is not too bad.

Would definetely buy again!
on 20 June 2010
A lot of info about places to go, hotels, restaurants, etc. Very good for everyone who plans to travel to Chile or/and Easter Island