on 3 April 2009
produced with that typical Usborne appeal!
Large format - approx. size - 23.5 cm x 30.5 cm, which lies flat on the work surface!
Colourful paperback covers open to 32 high quality shiny pages.
Laid out in the popular 2-page spread format, the contents list precedes the 14 recipes...... then 2 pages of wrapping ideas..... with 'Easter Tags' on the very last.
Each recipe is clearly laid out with the title, the quantity, the list of ingredients, and a numbered method, along with an oven temperature (if required).
Helpful child-friendly tips are littered throughout, e.g.:-
'Carry on until the dough is smooth and springy.'
'If the mixture is a little dry, add a drop of water.'
And warnings, where necessary, e.g.:-
'Be careful - the cakes will be hot.'
With superb, full-colour illustrations throughout, this book is further enhanced by 'step-by-step' pictures which accompany the clear, easy-to-follow text.
Example of text:-
From 'Easter Daisy Biscuits':-
(1) Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the butter and mix everything together with a spoon until the mixture is creamy.
(2) Grate the rind from the lemon using the medium holes on a grater. Then, add the rind to the bowl and mix everything again.
(3) Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from it. Then, stir a tablespoonful of lemon juice into the creamy mixture.
(4) Sift the flour through a sieve into the bowl. Mix it until you make a smooth dough. Then, wrap the dough in plastic food-wrap.
(5) Put the dough in a fridge for 30 minutes, to become firmer. Then sprinkle some flour onto a clean working surface.....
....then the fun (and mess, depending on age) really begins....
and this particular recipe has great scope for testing out those artistic skills (and patience!) when you get to the decorating stage.....try a different design on all 30 biscuits!
Even the youngest cook can get involved at this stage!
Super book produced to absorb time over the Easter break, but can be successfully used all year round - with a tweak or two on the theme!
on 12 March 2010
This is a marvellous book, and probably the freshest of the excellent cookbooks in this series. As ever, the presentation is beautiful, and as I turned each page, I felt, "I must try that"! If it can evoke that response in an (admittedly somewhat childish) adult, imagine how a child would feel! I can't wait to get going on these recipes this weekend with my kids! BUY IT!
on 21 February 2012
I love Usbourne in general and this one does not disappoint. As the children traditionally get so much time off during Easter it is nice to get a book full of lovely Easter recipes to make, from chick cupcakes to cheesy bunny shapes, love it, got the Christmas one too!