TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 April 2014
Like the latter half of the first instalment of the new series, this second book races past and the action doesn't let up until the end. While the first book was about how easy it would be to mistake the intentions of any approaching alien race - in this second part we are in no doubt that the formics are hostile and deadly to the human race.

The series has made the most of the new characters and we find out how they all play a part and they are fleshed out well in this continuation. Probably not the best place to start, but it is now all about the way we as a a species or society, deal with the threat. It's clear that most institutions would be paralised and useless - weighed down with bureacracy and red tape, to prevent any resistence. It's only those working outside of any constraints that can actually mobilise to do anything.

Of course, as the plot moves on, we realise that we are with the only groups of people who can make a difference and this is in no way a big spoiler, as it's pretty clear from the start that these are no ordinary people and some, like Mazer Rackham, have their stories pre-determined from events in the "Ender's Game" series. This is a very enjoyable series and while this one may have less philsophical depth, it moves us into the world of all-out war, where this is no room for doubt of hesitation - it's them or us - and no room for communication or scientific method.

In a way this is quite a sad outcome - but the writers are quite convincing in their portayal of the inevitability of the idea that any contact with an alien species, will be about a battle for resources and that we will be at war, rather than sitting down to talk and swap ideas. Personally, I would like to hope that humanity could be more rational and conciliatory - but our history tends to show this is unlikely. Also, these ideas are explored further in the later books of the "Ender" series and maybe we do have to grow further as a society before we are ready for a different outcome?

All in all a good read and I can't wait for the next one.
on 8 November 2013
Orson Scott Card continues the Ender's prequels creating two new star characters along the way. Yes, they both appears in the first installment in this new series but here they really come to life leaving you wanting more.

Mazer Rackham and Victor are both fully fledged and the ending here is as abrupt as it's logical.

A real cliff-hanger. Now all I need is the publishing date of the sequel.
on 19 March 2014
Prequel stories to the Ender's Game and Shadow series. Page turner that is written with the expectation of a film screenplay being extracted with little effort. It is definitely worth reading if you enjoyed Enders Game series, but read Book 1 (Earth Unaware), first.
on 18 April 2014
Although written with hindsight the story continues to provide background for the Ender series. Although it's a good story in its own right it helps if you are familiar with the characters of the previous book(s) in this new series.
on 1 April 2014
Picks up straight after Book 1, all 1 book really; would be 5 starts but this book doesn't really have an ending either. If you like any of the Ender stories, Shadow saga etc. you should read these too.
on 17 March 2014
Very enjoyable book in the pre Ender period. Interesting to see Mazer Rackham's back story unfolding. Looking forward to see all the loose ends tied together in the final part of the trilogy
on 21 April 2014
Bought the first part of this as a cheap, time filling read and based on seeing Enders Game as a prequel to that movie.
I haven't read sci fi for years but enjoyed the setting, build up and secondary stories; Yet another book had me ordering the sequel from here - why are these so 'can't put down? I actually looked forward to commuting so I could get my daily fix of Vico and the Formics!
As with another series of book I've reviewed here, the downside is now I have to wait for the next published book some months from now.
on 30 January 2014
Another amazing book from Orson and Aaron. I first read Ender's Game about 10 years ago and instantly fell in love. I didn't know there were sequels but I now am on a mission to read the whole Ender Saga. I love reading the prequels, Mazer Rackham is a wonderful character and I find the Earth books great because we can relate to them more closely! Due to them being set a closer time to ourselves. I'm excited for the last prequel that will finish Mazer's story and give light as to why everybody talks about him in Battle School.
on 18 March 2015
A good prequel to the Ender series, however it is very simply written in that many people have to be idiots, although in positions of power, to allow the plot to work. This is now becoming common in our fiction writing. Well worth the read, particularly at this price. I had the first one out as a library book and this one on Kindle was a great experience. As a result I now have 40 books on my Kindle.
on 10 April 2016
I don't know, definitely different from all previous books (except the fact that thet main character is a small genius boy) .
It seems a very boyish book. you have astronauts, aliens, marines, prince (sry, the son of the biggest corp) , a tough hot chick, a sensible (probably hot) girl. What it doesn't have from previous books are: politics, evil genius and a not-that-complex grand plan.