Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 May 2010 23:01:24 BDT
T. Innes says:
We are eagerly awaiting the arrival of this book.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2010 15:49:33 BDT
Su says:
looks like it could be another tiffany aching book

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2010 10:01:11 BDT
Belladonna says:
It's the final Tiffany book, according to Pterry himself.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2010 02:01:50 BDT
Tom says:
Don't you mean Ptiffany?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2010 19:57:22 BDT
How can itn be the final Tiffany book? I hope she doesn't go off to stay with Death this time... I guess maybe he might be rounding things off in case he loses it completely :(

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2010 00:03:24 BDT
D. Birkhead says:
Hey guys! I'm a bit behind on the Discworld books but have read my fair share so far. I've been a modest fan since playing the games back when Discworld 2 and noir were popular as a young teen, but have been more into the books lately than ever. Having read The Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic a few years ago, I'm now completely addicted to the Discworld series and have started from the beginning again, going through about 2 or 3 of the novels a month on average (in chronological ofcourse) and collecting them along the way.

Anyways that's me introduced, onto my question...

I was curious wether anyone here has pre-ordered any of the books before from amazon and I would like to ask, If I was to put in a pre-order am I likely to get a first edition/first print? or would I be better off waiting until after release and then trying to scan one down? (or visiting my nearest Waterstones and picking one up on the day).

I would just like to add that I was completely gutted when I heard the news of Mr. Pratchett's illness a couple of years ago as i'm sure many fans were. A huge wave of gratitude and respect goes out to him for continuing his work with the books! As Mr Pratchett himself says; "writing is the most fun anyone can have by themselves"... I would like to add that reading (for me) rivals that notion and reading has never been the same since I discovered his work. OMHO the OBE couldn't have come soon enough and he is truely one of the most talented writers of our time.

All the best Terry!

Posted on 18 Jun 2010 12:11:51 BDT
Su says:
I discovered Mr Pratchett's work about ... eeep ... 20 years ago :o

I've been addicted ever since, or maybe that should be obsessed. I even have the official model of the famous mathematician camel :p

I've preordered for the last few years and each time I've had them on the day of release (and I have ordered on the supersaver postage) - they have all been first editions.

Hearing Mr Pratchett's alzheimers announcement was like hearing that a close friend was dying, it was devastating. Sir Terry and his creations have become such a part of our lives.

Posted on 18 Jun 2010 23:19:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2010 23:51:20 BDT
D. Birkhead says:
Thanks for the info Susan! Pre-ordering later tonight :).

And to add to your comment, I know what you mean. I almost feel I've gotten to know him a little through what I know of his work and it was terrible news. Heres to Terry Pratchett and his wonderful work!

Ps. ROFL at the camel post :P

Posted on 21 Jun 2010 15:49:24 BDT
Sam Quixote says:
yeah if you pre-order you do tend to get 1st editions though with writers as popular as pratchett so many editions get printed because demand is so high the 1st editions rarely become valuable. 1st editions of colour of magic, etc, back when terry was barely known are valuable now but id say stuff he does nowadays get so widely distributed that theyre unlikely to rise in value. besides the fan treasuring the copy of course!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2010 17:53:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jun 2010 18:01:17 BDT
D. Birkhead says:
Yes, I agree that would probably the case. I'd say the unseen university editions and the limited editions (Unseen academicals limited 5000 edition for example) are probably going to be the more valuable ones in the future if any. Its mostly about the having the versions of the text that were originally published for me so I just want to try and get hold of the first printings where possible. If they were to ever develop value in the future that would be an added bonus but I doubt I could see myself parting with them even if that were the case.

Looking forwards to reading the next one when I get it :D

Posted on 9 Jul 2010 15:45:06 BDT
Delightedto see a new Tiffany Aching story from Sir Terry. Those of you who want to order pre-publication, should do so through Sandra Kidby's "PJSM Prints" website - because AFAIK it's the only place on the Web where you can order signed copies at no extra cost. Be warned, - PJSM & Sir Terry do NOT like purchasers posing as fans, buying signed copes, and then offering them at inflated prices at e-Bay Auctions, -so PJSM usually limit signed copies to one per household, at Sir Terry's request, and tracks the origins of signed copies offered for sale on e-Bay.
Julian Wilson,
loooooong-time Discworld Fan.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  18 May 2010
Latest post:  9 Jul 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld)
I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld) by Terry Pratchett (Library Binding - Oct. 2010)
4.7 out of 5 stars (355)