on 10 January 2010
This is a lovely book that i had read to my children and was now buying for my first grandchild. However, I just hadn't spotted that it was a pocket size version of the book so was disappointed as it seems harder for very young children to spot the hidden characters. Nevertheless, it will fit in my daughter in law's bag and it is timeless. If you don't know it, it's really worth getting and never gets boring for the adult who is reading it, just check the size more carefully than I did.
on 25 September 2000
This was given to our 2 year old and within days became a favourite (had to go to bed with it, take it in the car etc). The catchy words and detailed pictures which invite exploration make it a book with many layers. With so many references to other childhood rhymes and stories it ensures parents never get bored either.
on 19 December 2008
This is a wonderful story that my daughter has loved since she was very young. At first she just enjoyed listening to the story but she is now progressing to spotting and naming different parts of the pictures (duck, baby, etc). And I know we've got plenty more life in this book as she starts to spot the different characters. The language (a big priority for me) is really well crafted, the story is light-hearted and enjoyable, and the illustrations are beautiful. Hugely recommended -- I regularly buy this book as part of a "new baby gift".
on 27 June 2005
When I read this book I thought it was good fun. I particularly liked the way it mixed up all the characters from the different fairy tales and nursery rhymes. I really liked the pictures and my favourite picture is where they were all sitting eating pie in the sun at the end.
I think most people from 4 onwards would really enjoy this book.
Cryssie (aged 9)
on 30 November 2004
I bought this book first time for one of my children (now grown up). I love it so much that I have bought it for every new baby in my family at the first opportunity.
The book is very colourful and the last bit of each page is repeated as the first part of the next page, making it fun for children and adults to read together. A very enjoyable mother and baby read!
on 19 August 2013
I love the story but hated the pocket edition because the pictures were too small and it was difficult to pick out the characters,for example,Tom Thumb in the tree. The size of the book is too small for the age group it is targeted too and although I would recommend the larger edition I would not recommend this edition.
on 26 January 2008
As all the other reviews say, this is an out and out classic children's book - a must have.
This copy, however, is dreadful. The paper is thin and overly glossy, making it difficult to get to the next page and it could do with being bigger as it's really all about the pictures. I bought where the wild things are at the same time and that is amazingly presented, highlighting the problem with this further. This seems like a pamphlet or concert programme - cheap.
Save money and get the board book. It's smaller but the pictures are sharper.

Edit to add; OK so this is a few years on and I must admit - after the dissapointment of this classic having such a bad print run - the copy we bought is still going strong and hasn't ripped or anything. I'd still recommend the board book though, if the quality is the same as 2008. A.O'C.
on 29 August 2006
This book has a lovely simple rhyming rhythm thats easy for children to follow.

With beautiful framed pictures and pages its a lovely book to read and share with your child, exploring both pictures and text... Perfect as a gift for any expectant parents!

The board backed pages are perfect for eager children and babies and allows them to love this book for as long as possible!

Highly recommended!
on 31 August 2015
Beautiful illustrations. Would recommend to anyone wishing to purchase a book to encourage children's literacy. Also, the book is not too small. It is a perfect size for children and especially if you like to take your books on the move.

When I looked at the comments below about how small it was I was concerned about my purchase but now, seeing it in my hand, I'm glad I went ahead with the purchase.
review image review image
on 10 March 2013
The delightful pictures which develop over the pages and make a map that expands and gives a grounding to the action and characters and the simple but engrossing text combine to make this book a real winner for pre-school and KS1 children.
The repetition of familiar characters and the simple but clever overlapping of characters that are well-known to young children if they have any knowledge of nursery rhymes and fairy tales makes this a book that requires and deserves constant re-reading. Very few books aimed at this age group are as effective and even popular titles such as Spot the Dog do not arouse the same keen interest and desire in hearing and seeing than the 'just one more time before bedtime' requests that resonate when this book has been read or shared.