on 7 January 2012
Do not buy this ebook. The editor clearly doesn't know a thing about ebooks. This one is completely misformatted--line breaks all over the place, in mid sentence, blank lines everywhere, etc.
on 25 January 2012
truly bad format. what a waste of good material. its a poor effort that makes a man angry at having spent less than on a couple of mars bars. somebody should be ashamed. i know i am for not checking out the reviews.
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2011
I would normally do my best to overlook bad formatting for the Kindle. Unfortunately, the formatting with this book is just too intense and the stories aren't intense enough to persuade me to persevere.

There is no navigable table of contents and such a lot of distracting and unnecessary carriage returns (sometimes every other line is only one or two words long), make this book very difficult to read.

It's disappointing because if the formatting was good, I'd be able to concentrate more on the short stories give a "proper" review. Unfortunately I could manage less than half of them before giving up.

I feel a bit let down but by the formatting rather than the book!
Why have movie makers not twigged onto the genius that was H Beam Piper. The man had great ideas just flowing out of him and yet obscurity and desolation were all he gained in his lifetime. His manager did him no favours at all.

Anyway what we have here is another fine selction of late 40's and 50's sci fi with the usual stereotypes, folk smoking and other quirks of the era that make reading their versions of the future a great insight into the past when the stories were written.

Outstanding value for money.

A worthwhile purchase.
on 1 November 2012
Even though I've been reading S.F since I was a teenager (a long, long time ago) I confess I'd never heard of H Beam Piper. I was pleasantly surprised at the unusual quality of the varied stories and will certainly read this author again. Highly recommended.
on 2 May 2013
I always like to read anthologys as the stories dont get to deep into the unnecessary background of the story and characters.
on 30 June 2012
I cannot believe anybody checked this before putting it up for sale,it is terrible, Amazon should take it down, shame on them
on 16 March 2015