• EDEN

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 2 August 2013
Eden is an excellent novel by Dean Crawford. The novel makes you think of your own mortality if the end of the world were to happen,and the poeple closest to you!
I felt the strong emotions of the characters with every turn of the pages. I am looking forward to a follow up to this novel in the future.
on 1 August 2013
Eden is a cleverly written and very thought provoking story.

This gripping tale contains secrets which expose themselves most unexpectedly throughout.

Although primarily a work of fiction the research is so thorough that the author creates a novel that is as factual as possible whilst still allowing the readers own imagination to play a part.

It is another Dean Crawford "page turner". Different from the Ethan Warner series but still a first class read.

Excellent.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 August 2013
Thank you to the author for the copy of this book to review.

After a natural disaster, Cody is stranded in the Arctic Circle...far away from home, friends and loved ones he embarks on a journey to find them, and the elusive "Eden" rumoured to be the last safe haven.

I am a huge fan of post apocalyptic fiction, and for me this was in the top half of the draw as far as good ones go. Its certainly compelling, and Mr Crawford keeps up the pace and interest throughout the book. I think its difficult to do anything unique in this genre these days and so the only downside for me was a certain amount of predictability - having said that, the characterisation was great, the story well imagined and it was very difficult to put down once I'd started!

It is quite a dark read..Dean Crawford has a good eye for human nature...when its a fight for survival the worst in us can emerge and that subject is tackled well here. Emotionally speaking you will feel for the characters, especially Cody as all hope appears to be fading. I was rooting for them all the way. The twists and turns will keep you turning the pages...and the resolution I believe may divide opinion. I thought it was spot on.

I felt that the second half of the book was far superior to the first half - not that the first half is bad, don't get me wrong - perhaps I would call it a "slow burner" but once the initial set up if you like, was complete I barely stopped reading until the end. This is the first novel I have read by this author but it certainly won't be the last. I'm hoping perhaps for a sequel to this...over to you Mr Crawford! (Tell me tell me!)

Happy Reading Folks!
on 2 August 2013
This is another great book from the author of the Ethan Warner novels, I would highly recommend this. Also the Ethan Warner series if you haven't read them yet. Hoping to see many more books from Mr Crawford
on 2 March 2015
This is the story of lead character Cody and his fellow scientists, stranded in the Arctic after an apocalyptic event and their struggles to return to “civilisation” to try to trace their family and friends and ultimately seek a fabled “Eden” where the shell of the past may have been saved.

This is the 1st Ben Crawford book I have read, and I found it a little difficult to get into, a little slow to get going, I did not gel initially with the characters which didn’t help. However once the story got going and the troupe of scientists embarked on their desperate adventure, the storyline exploded into a full on post-apocalyptic thriller. Almost a horror at times as the author explores the darker side of human reactions to events and the desperation to survive at the expense of others. Not recommended for the feint hearted, but thought provoking and touching at times, and never quite sure if I am backing the main characters or hoping for their downfall. Overall a memorable read and I would recommend.
on 11 September 2013
This was one of three books I downloaded to my Kindle during a recent holiday. I found this one to be a very enjoyable read and one of the main reasons for this was the way the collapse of human civilisation was dealt with - it was the absence of contact and the dawning realisation of what this meant that I found most chilling, far more so that the later descriptions of the survivor groups and the conflict.

I also liked the ways in which the author developed the characters. In many books of this genre it is easy to distinguish between those who are characterised as "bad" and "good" but in this book nothing was so straightforward. Yes, they were still characters in an action thriller but they felt quite real and at the end I was not sure who I really liked but I did know that I found them very interesting and engaging. They were complicated and all kinds of motivations for making their choices.

The ending was poignant and yet also strangely satisfying.
on 16 August 2013
This story is very different to the Ethan Warner stories that Dean Crawford also writes. There has been a step change in his style to bring us a tale of a group of scientists who are stranded at the North pole following the impact of a massive solar flare with earth which has caused a global catastrophe. The story of these people's struggle to get back to the USA to find out what has happened to their families and homes in Boston and track down the elusive EDEN is truly epic. When they are picked up by a large old-time sailing ship that takes them off the ice you feel their chances of survival have improved but this ship is manned by a crew of mostly violent ex-convicts who seem to be mostly truly amoral with few redeeming characters. The power struggle onboard is physically and mentally violent and very well written. However, they do eventually reach Boston but the full horror of the cataclysm really hits home once the core characters go into what remains of the city.

This book shows what mankind at it's worse could be like in these circumstances. It is very dark and quite disturbing. However it is really exciting to read with lots of action and would be visually very exciting. The story carries you along this roller-coaster of action and emotion very well, and you end up willing these people to at least find some glimmer of hope and some good news of their loved ones. It is very interesting in the way it chronicles the changes in their own feelings and attitudes as the full horror of what has happened slowly sinks in and the feeling of hopelessness begins to pervade them all. I really was willing them to find the way to Eden after all they went through. There is a great twist to the end of the story which I will not reveal but thought it was a good way to end the story.

This would make a great film and Dean Crawford is becoming an accomplished action/adventure writer with heaps of potential. I would really recommend this book to people who love this genre (post-apocalyptic action stories). A great read that you just can't put down and which stays with you long after you have finished it!!!!!
on 1 December 2013
There is no doubt that this author is good at his craft. His narrative is good and well paced and his dialogues natural. But then the flow is interrupted by comments about his characters' ages that just don't make sense. For instance, one leading character is constantly referred to as 'the old man' as if he's a geriatric; he's 54! I thought that was something to do with the author's age because, as we all know, when we're young anyone more than ten years older must be ancient, but then he refers to a 20 year old professional woman as a 'young girl'. Weird, but then I find that the Dean Crawford is in his mid thirties, so he's right in the middle. That and the fact that he doesn't know what decimate means results in three stars instead of four, which it would otherwise merit.
on 14 September 2013
The book starts simply enough, a team of scientists at a North Pole Science station, they suddenly loose contact with the outside world, simple enough premise. The first part of the book deals with their escape with the Snow and ice and turns darker and more disturbing, don't that you put you off, the pace, the narration, and the fleshing out of the characters is convincingly portrayed, the landscape and horrors they encounter are also entirely convincing, human kind backed into a corner and fighting himself and the elements for survival. One of the best books I've read this year so far, a quality piece of work. Dean Crawford is on my list of favourite authors after reading just one book.
on 21 March 2015
I just want to show my support for this author. Currently I have all 15 books and have read 13 of them. There are another 4 on their way, God help me. I will buy them all and I will enjoy them all as I have the 13 so far. Think you can see the rather transparent plot? Pretty obvious what will happen next? Not with this guy, he's got a great imagination; works for me anyway. Where he finds his time to write so much is beyond me but Im very glad that he does. Hollywood is coming! Sorry this is not a helpful review for the individual book but Im behind on reviews too. I will try to review just after I finish a book in future. Enjoy!