Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 10 February 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The set up for this book is generally good, and this is a good thriller; it builds from a seemingly straightforward crime committed by a mentally distressed individual to a big bit of nastiness involving far too many people, with links and associations emerging blinking from the past to catch out the present.
The early chapters were less tautly written that the later ones, too much description, too many adjectives (I loved that her gran used "... dust and Lemon Pledge" to make antique wood shine! There's a missing comma methinks!), and too much twee set up - our heroine is assailed by memories of her gran tottering out with a tray of cake - yeah, yeah, I get the picture, at least she wasn't apple cheeked, with her white hair in a bun! So I thought early into the book that it was going to be a challenge to read, but I have to say, either I tuned out the style, or the writing settled down, because I soon got into the story without noticing the writing.
I got a tad fed up with our two romantic leads endless misreading of "angry eyes" and "tight expressions" - there's a lot of miscommunication and noble denial going on.
There's a really quite scary section, involving mix up between which identical twin is which that was well written, and while I sussed out one of the baddies about half way through, I didn't get who the Commander was until taken by the hand and introduced in person!
Our heroine is sorely taxed, but wins through, finally to her HEA.
There's a prequel I haven't read, Before She Dies (Slaughter Creek), and surely there's a sequel to be had from Nick?
This is a chunky book that holds the interest, isn't particularly obvious, and develops its tension throughout the book, so worth a read!
VINE VOICEon 21 January 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This novel offers the reader a little bit of everything - it is a thriller, a drama, a romance, etc. The basic premise is that Sadie has to return to her hometown after hearing the news that her mentally-disturbed twin sister, Amelia, has shot their grandfather. Returning home is difficult for Sadie as it causes many memories to resurface - she had originally left town and the love of her life after her sister had committed an act of murder which Sadie and her grandfather helped to cover up. Now the evidence suggests that Amelia has killed again. Amelia's is suffering from multiple personality disorder and has been in and out of mental hospitals for the best part of her life. Now she claims that she is being mistreated in hospital, but others struggle to understand her since she cannot explain herself lucidly. Sadie finds it hard to believe that Amelia would have killed their grandfather but she has seen in the past that Amelia is capable of violence and so she cannot be certain of Amelia's innocence or guilt and since Amelia was found with the weapon in her hand, the evidence does seem to indicate that Amelia was the killer. But all is not as it seems and as the reader progresses the novel, the plot thickens.

There is also the romantic element in Jake, the town's well-meaning sheriff and Sadie's former love; things are difficult between them now since Sadie left him years ago without an explanation.She now returns with a terrible secret that she cannot share with Jake, and this causes a tension between them, but it is obvious that their love is still strong.

The author probably stretches credibilty a little too far, and those with medical know-how will probably argue that Amelia's mental state is not true-to-life, but nevertheless this is a cracker of a story with repeated plot twists to keep you on the edge of your seat as well as the endearing story of a love that doesn't die. I will be looking out for more by this author.
on 16 February 2013
Sadie Nettleton ran from her hometown of Slaughter Creek shortly after graduation, leaving behind the love of her life, her crazy sister, and a pack of dark secrets. Jake Blackwood had been the light of Sadie's life, but there was no way to explain why she helped cover up his father's death and buried him in secret before running away. She moves to Seattle and builds a life for herself, but gets drawn back to Slaughter Creek when she gets a phone call from one of her sister's alternate personalities, just before a gun goes off. Sadie's grandfather, Pawpaw, dies of the gunshot wound, and her sister Amelia is arrested.

Jake Blackwood is the sheriff of Slaughter Creek now, so he's the first person Sadie talks to about her grandfather's death. Amelia is moved to the mental hospital on the outskirts of town, and Sadie is left to figure out what happened on the day Pawpaw died. Did one of Amelia's alternate personalities kill him, or was someone else there? It's hard to talk to Amelia, since she's so often heavily sedated, and so likely to slip into one of her alternate personalities, and Sadie's own memories of the past aren't completely clear. Then other people in town who were patients at the mental hospital at the same time as Amelia start to die, and Jake and Sadie wonder what's really been going on there.

This is an excellent thriller that raises more and more questions as the story cruises toward the climax. The romance between Sadie and Jake takes a backseat to the intrigue, but still feels authentic. My only complaint is that the last three chapters need a do-over. What had been a tightly-woven thriller descends into melodrama and Sadie gets accosted and put in danger one or two times too many by the villains. One of the bad guys was obvious to me but completely overlooked by the characters, but I might have been more forgiving if the way it was revealed would have been done a lot better. As it was, it felt as if the book had to be finished in a hurry to meet a deadline, and the quality suffered at the end. This was a small detraction from an otherwise gripping suspense, however, and I had a hard time putting this book down.
on 21 December 2013
Twenty five years after her parents demise, grown up Sadie Nettleton returns to Slaughter Creek to lay her murdered grandfather to rest. She is also here to delve into the mind of her troubled mentally ill twin sister Amelia, who has been arrested for the murder. There is also Jake, the man she loved and abandoned when she run away ten years ago. But things are never what they seem in Slaughter Creek and Sadie is soon thrust into a nightmare surrounding the sinister sanatorium, which closely guards its many secrets. An amazing page turner, a rollercoaster ride of suspense, intrigue and romance, one of the best books I have read this year.
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall I feel a little confused and unsure about how much I enjoyed this.

Maybe towards the end of writing this review it might become more clear. But for me it just seemed to start off a little slow (even tho it didn't...if that makes any sense), it seemed to take a while to really connect with any of the characters and then when finally more was learnt about them, I found myself not particularly caring about any of them.

Amelia was the more interesting character out of all of them, and that was probably because of her multiple personalities. I would have liked more from her perspective to be honest, especially when the "fog" lifted and she became more lucrid about things including the truth about what happened that night.

Really, the "secret" Sadie had, wasn't really a secret. Well I had guessed it so I am going to assume that lots of other readers probably did also.

I think what it was about this was that even though I didn't particuarly find any of the characters interesting, I still wanted to find out what was going on with the hospital patients etc. Although again I ended up being a little disappointed purely because I had guessed correctly what was going on and why. I think it might just be me though who hates to be right...personally I love a good twist and being surprised and this really didn't have that.

In fact the story itself was quite straightforward if unbelievable. One review of this I read, someone thought it was ridiculous how someone who had never been a sheriff before or for very long had managed to link it and solve it all when noone else had before, and that reviewer had a point. Slightly unbelievable that the CIA that gone to all that trouble and cleverness to hide and cover their tracks, then suddenly start making loads of obvious mistakes leading the police and FBI straight to them.

The love story felt like an afterthought to me. Wasn't really explored enough, I didn't really feel the chemistry between the 2 characters. And I was more interested in the hospital and what was going on there than the love story.

I would have to say overall this was an average read with an average story. I have read books from Rita Herron in the past and have enjoyed her work but for me this one kind of felt like a chore getting through it. I hate to give up on a book, especially when not enjoying it as much as I would hope but I kept on reading because I wanted to know what was going on and who was behind it etc. So because it did keep me reading in the end, I have rated 3 stars.
on 2 January 2014
I read a lot of crime novels and have a particular preference for UK police procedurals so I often find myself working out who and why-dunnit before the author reveals it. This one was much harder to solve ...great read
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This looked just my type of book from the blurb, and the basic story is good and I think the basic plot had it all. BUT the fact Sadie had left Slaughter Creek 10 years before and run out on Jake, who is now a single parent and the sheriff and they still want each other is said over and over again and after a while I was just laughing that I was being told this again. I have no idea if Rita Heron was trying to pad the story out , because it didn't need it, in fact it spoilt the book for me. I probably wont be reading any more of her books.
on 28 August 2013
I decided on this book after reading the reviews and am very disappointed, so thought I'd warn future readers how bad this book was.
The main characters are very simplistic and the authors insistence on reminding you of their constant longing is unnecessary and repetitive. The story ,which while doesn't completely hang together wasn't a bad idea, is very predictable and because the writing was so repetitive I found myself skimming whole chapters.
I wouldn't recommend this book.
VINE VOICEon 27 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book arrived 5 days ago and I couldn't put it down. Sadie Nettleton left Slaughter Creek ten years ago leaving behind the only home she'd ever known, and Jake Blackwood the only man she ever loved. If Jake knew her terrible secret she knew he would never forgive her, so she ran. When her grandfather is murdered and her twin sister, who is mentally ill, is charged with his murder Sadie has no choice but to return to Slaughter Creek and face her past. For Sheriff Jim Blackwood time has not lost the love he felt for Sadie or the hurt of her leaving.

Now she's back and Jim is determined to help Sadie uncover the truth about her grandfathers death. Their investigation leads deeper into a world of secrets, betrayal and lies in Slaughter Creek.

Sadie becomes the target of a madman who will do anything to keep the truth buried. Jake would give his life to save Sadie but can he risk giving his heart to her?

Normally I don't like romantic novels, but this is a romance which is gripping in places and a mystery rolled into one. An excellent read, thoroughly recommend it, couldn't put it down until I'd finished it.
VINE VOICEon 23 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered Dying to Tell as I'm a huge fan of Karin Slaughter and have loved all of her books and this book was suggested to her fans. I found Dying to Tell a gripping read to begin with. The story is fast paced and action packed. However it quickly slowed and I found it a struggle to continue. I persevered and I'm glad I did as the story soon picked up pace again. Overall it was an enjoyable read.