Format: Paperback|Change

For me this is the Book of the Year. Everywhere on the Net I encounter interviews and videos with Anita Moorjani, and even quotations by her. And this is well-deserved - we all need to hear of her experience.

Wayne Dyer was involved in "discovering" Anita and helping to get her book published, and has written the foreword to this book.

Anita informs us of her upbringing - born of Indian parents in Singapore but residing in Hong Kong. She was exposed to several cultures and spoke both English, Cantanese and Sindhi fluently.

She managed to avoid an arranged marriage, and eventually finds her "true love", Danny, whom she marries.

But Anita's problem is that she is a people-pleaser and is always trying to do what others believe is best, thus finding it impossible to be her true self.

One of Anita's biggest fears was that she might develop cancer, and her best friend died of the disease, which made her even more fearful. And so she did contract cancer, Though she tries various healing modalities, they are to no avail, and eventually she slips into a coma. This is when she begins to be aware of everything those connected with her are doing and saying. She is at death's door, but has never felt so good! She had unlimited perception and "360-degree peripheral vision".

She felt "all moments" at once. "I was aware of everything that pertained to me - past, present, and future - simultaneously."

She feels she understands the Universe. She realizes that "God isn't a being, but a state of being ... and I was now that state of being!"

She was completely enveloped in unconditional love and acceptance. She saw that she was "a beautiful being of the Universe". She deserved to be loved simply because she existed. She became aware that we are all connected - everything in the Universe was connected. "The entire Universe is alive and infused with consciousness, encompassing all life and nature."

In this book not only does Anita describe her NDE in absolute detail, but also explains all the insights she takes back with her from it. Before she wakes from the coma she is told that if she chooses to return to life, she will be healed completely, and this is what happened, despite the doctors doing their best to seek out traces of cancer somewhere or other in her body.

There is a chapter on "Why I got Sick ... and Healed", "Infinite Selves and Universal Energy", "Allowing and Being Yourself" and, finally, "Questions and Answers".

Anita's NDE was a glimpse of our Oneness, and she experienced becoming the Source.

She realized that even the worst criminals, including murderers, are victims of their "own limitations, pain, and fear". In the other realm we are all One, all the same.

Anita Moorjani is wonderfully articulate, and the book is a joy to read. Absolutely everyone should read this book, particularly of course those afraid of death. They will not be afraid ever again. Anita went through her ordeal in order to experience her NDE and inform you and me and the whole world of the amazing love, acceptance, joy and bliss of the afterlife.

Anita's final instructions to us are: Go out and live your life fearlessly!
on 15 April 2012
This book is incredible the lady was effectively dead and in last stage cancer and a coma, yet a month later she is walking out of hospital without a sign of any of it in her system.

The journey she takes is documented in this well written, warm and personal book that brings to life her tale and if read objectively raises a lot of questions about how we view life, death and the afterlife.
on 5 March 2012
This is one of the most beautiful books I ever read. It's not a book about death, it's about living life...fearlessly. Don't expect to find formulas on how to heal cancer, because it's not what this book is all about and yet it's worth reading because Anita's points of view, are really worth reading about.

To me this was a big eye opener and I sit here with a great sense of peace surrounding me. I think I finally get it.
on 12 July 2012
Over the years, I have read many spiritual books, many books about healing and health. I can say that this is a book with a difference.

It is of the experience of Anita Moorjani, the medical part of which is well documented. She relates her story simply and directly, yet at the same time in a way that holds your attention to the very end. For me, it was not difficult to believe because of my own experiences - however, even if you are not familiar with such experiences - it is worth reading because the way in which she tells her story can open the door to seeing further than the everyday familiar.

I would if I could, thank her very much for sharing her story.

Helen Fatir
on 23 December 2013
I have read a few books now that say much the same thing... not sure if I am searching for something or just worried about dying, but this was going over the same details over & over again and I found the book a little boring. Still not finished it but have decided not to read any more of life after death books. I hope there is life after death but this just didn't answer any questions for me and Anita said she got Cancer because she worries about life to much... well, we are all DOOMED then!!
on 12 March 2012
The author of this book was dying of cancer and had just hours to live, as her organs were shutting down. She slipped into a coma and experienced a glimpse of life after death. It was a good experience for her. She was free from pain and sensed a greater reality beyond this world. She communicated with people that had died before her and she felt a sense of 'unconditional love'. This love, she felt, extends to all - even the murderers and rapists and to people of all religions and none.

I liked a lot of what this lady said. I liked her rejection of religion and doctrine. The God of religion was nothing like what she experienced. In fact, one line stands out for me in this book. She stated that she realised that 'God was not a being, but a state of being'. Even as a sceptic and definite non-believer in any mainstream religion, this statement resonates with me. 'God' is found in caring for someone, making a cup of tea for a lonely neighbour, acts of kindness and sacrifice, great works of creativity etc. I can believe in this sort of god....

When Anita returned to her body, she spoke of how she was able to see what others were doing whilst she was in the coma. She could hear what others were saying and they were able to verify this. This seems to be quite common for people with near death experiences. Either she's telling the truth and there really is something after death, or this book is a cynical invention to make money after a extraordinarily lucky spontaneous remission of cancer . I want to believe every word Anita has written, but I just have a couple of reservations:

Anita describes how she was able to read the emotions and thoughts of the hospital staff and others as she was recovering. She set up her music player in the intensive care ward and had to stop after receiving complaints about the noise. I wondered why she was not able to read the irritation of those that complained. I emailed this question to her from her website but received no reply. A small thing, perhaps....

The very title leads me on to the next reservation. A lot of the book seems to have a great emphasis on the author's liberation from social and cultural restrictions - almost as if her near death experience is a metaphor for her determination to be herself and not follow the dictates of her religion and culture.

If there really is a life after death, what do we actually DO for all eternity? Imagine ten billion years of happiness and creativity, love and wonder? What then? Wouldn't you get bored and then ask 'what now'? It's hard to see the point of life without an after-life but it's also hard to see the ultimate point of an after-life too! What do others think?
1919 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2012
An uplifting, joy giving book, beautifully written and very powerful. I feel A sense of liberation, hope and joy after reading it. Thank you Anita.
VINE VOICEon 6 May 2012
When I heard about Anita's story and book, I knew I had to get it. I was not disappointed. This is the author's true story about how she suffered from cancer for four years, at the end of which she was rushed into hospital and given hours to live. She slipped into a coma while her organs failed. During this time Anita had the most remarkable experience where she 'died' and passed on into the other realm. There she describes meeting her best friend and her father and gained valuble insight into why she developed her cancer in the first place. Anita's description of the other side is beautiful and, as she says, without any judgment. There is no time, and she describes her difficulty in adequately using the English language to convey what the indescribable is like.

However, she does a remarkable job, and I read on, forcing myself to read this book slowly even though I wanted to devour it in one sitting. There is much to be pondered over in this book and I wanted to give it and her experience justice. It will be a book to refer back to many times. She tells about reaching a point where she was given a choice - to either go on or to return. She chose to return to her disease ridden body, but with a new understanding of herself and how 'magnificent' we all are. With this new awareness, 70% of her cancer disappeared within 4 days, her organs began working again, and she was cancer free within weeks. Doctors and medical professionals were baffled.

I would recommend this book if you are interested at all in Spirituality. It is not a book about death as such, neither is it a set of instructions as to cure disease, but it is about life and as Anita says 'living fearlessly'. I would also recommend it if you have been bereaved, as it will bring great comfort.

Hope this helps :)
on 5 June 2012
I knew as soon as I started reading this book that this book was going to form a very dear place in my heart like no other book has before. I can honestly say that I've never been so moved as I was by Anita's journey and the messages that her NDE gives to us. There were moments in the book where I was move to tears and felt the need to highlight lots of amazing quotations and passages.

The book is split into three sections- the first, about Anita's life and diagnosis; the second, about her life after her recovery and finally, the messages she brought back with her after her NDE. I've decided for this review not to delve into too many 'spoilers', as I'd love everyone to read this book. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the world would be a better place if we did all read this book!

I know that I'll read this book again and again and will recommend it highly to my family and friends. I feel that Anita's messages have made me look at the world in a different way, as lots of other reviewers have commented, and that I am a better person for having read this book. I can't recommend it highly enough!
on 28 May 2014
I think that in their enthusiasm to get this book out the reader was somehow forgotten. It became only about the author and her wonderful experience and little thought was given to reader expectation. The first part of the book was very fascinating but the last part was very weak when it should have built on the significance of the NDE and helped the readers see how it could apply to their own lives. I have read hundreds of books about NDEs and am, like many readers these days, what you might call a seasoned New Age reader, so I bought this book expecting more than just an account of the experience. I already believe in the authenticity of NDEs so I had hoped for more than what the book offered. Having read about the NDE and the author's recovery I expected to learn how to avoid cancer but the explanation was very airy fairy and all about just loving yourself. To some extent I can understand that we are all a little hard on ourselves but to say that by simply loving yourself you can avoid cancer seems over simplistic and it was not explained well. I also felt that in the last part of the book the author got so involved with her feelings she forgot about the reader. It became like a stream of consciousness essay. This book should have used the undoubtedly wonderful experience to help the readers relate it to their own lives but it did not. I was left with the impression that the author was advocating that you detach yourself from life, remove yourself from any involvement, and simply become a spectator in order to save yourself from illness but even this was very vague. The book was a great opportunity to teach people about how to avoid cancer but this was wasted as there was no real practical application to be found so that disappointed me.

However the thing that frustrated me most was the author's statement that there is no right or wrong. Apparently we can murder three thousand people and be welcomed home into the hereafter as a returning hero because it is all about the experience. Presumably the victims should just be grateful that they too had a life experience. It was a very sweeping thing to say and challenges the fundamental beliefs which underpin many peoples' lives but it was not really discussed properly. If indeed there is no right or wrong, it makes me question why I have ever bothered to do what I thought was right and I found that somewhat depressing. I would like to suggest however that what she witnessed and experienced was actually the souls LAST and FINAL return to God and the remerging with All that Is and if that is the case then she is probably correct. We are all welcome back to God regardless of our past. However, although I am sure there is no judgement by God in the way that some religions believe, other books indicate that we judge ourselves immediately after we die and we do learn that hurting others carries lessons and life is more than than just a self- indulgent experience.

Overall the description of the NDE and the author's recovery was wonderful and moving in itself but the book lost me after that. I didn't really learn how I can avoid cancer. I also was told that I needn't bother believing in "right" because "right" does not exist. According to the author it is all about the life experience and terrorists are as good as saints. I think that would be a difficult one to sell to those who have lost loved ones to terrorism but this should have been discussed properly instead of being casually addressed. It is just too big an issue to be mentioned in passing and I can understand that it might upset some people. If you are going to be controversial you need to argue your case in depth and the author did not do that.