on 13 November 2013
Read all of the series in the order they were published and this is the best of a really good bunch. Is this the next Rebus? I'd suggest it is. Definitely a tv series in the making here. As long as Bain's swearing is toned down if it goes out before the watershed, then I'd suggest there is every chance of the stories taking to the small screen.This is by far the most plausible of plots as such organisations do permeate the Scottish game at the present time. Desperate for book 5 in the series - "Bottleneck" - to appear. In time for Christmas, maybe?
on 28 July 2013
Ed James has continued with his captivating and interesting story lines. I was sucked into the story straight away and read it in 3 sittings. This book is my favourite of the 4 Cullen novels written so far, that's not to say the others weren't good! I would recommend reading them before this one as you get to know the characters and get a feel for the author's writing style.

I thought the plot was interesting and kept me guessing until the end, there were twists and turns throughout. I also thought it was important that we got to 'know' Cullen even more. A bit of family back round, career goals and of course an insight into his relationship with DS Sharon McNeill.

I enjoy reading books that are set in Scotland and this author captures Edinburgh in such a way that I could almost picture myself there.

I'm looking forward to the next novel in the winter.
on 6 November 2013
The best one yet! I really enjoyed this book, found myself wanting to read a bit more whenever I could. It helps if you have read the series in order as the characters develop more in each book and you have an understanding of odd bits of back story. I did think the lead character was a bit childish during one part of the story, however, this panned itself out towards the end and I feel he redeemed himself a little. I hope there are more stories in the pipeline as this story line and the variety of characters have good potential. I can also see it as a TV series, not quite in the realm of Rebus, but police stories are usually good drama.
Not only was the storyline good but I also enjoyed the descriptive nature of the environment; it helped me picture this and see the characters within their work and social environment.
on 23 August 2013
What can I say Scott Cullen mystery 4 was another brilliant read, couldn't put the book down and am now champing at the bit for number 5.
on 31 July 2013
Absolutely brilliant! Without doubt my favourite Cullen story so far. Well done Ed James - can't wait for Cullen 5 to come out!!
on 19 August 2014
A good story with lots of twists and turns. The dialogue is realistic and the characterisation good. It held my interest to the end of this longish book. However it is difficult not to try and compare these novels to Rankin's Rebus series, unfair as it might be, and in my view it is a poor relation. Rebus is the is the archetypal anti-hero and we love him. Cullen is a young upstart, bright but arrogant, and I felt that if he didn't get his promotion, well, I wouldn't mind too much. This doesn't make it a bad novel but might stop me from reading more of the series. The prose, wit, music references, the "feel" of Edinburgh are a pale shadow of Rankin's novels. Having said all that, I enjoyed the book.
on 2 November 2013
MUCH better than the other Cullen books that I've read, good plot, coherent pulling together of all the elements and an interesting maturation and progression of Cullen's character. Professional editing and proofreading have added much to this book and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one. Hopefully Cullen's career will be on the up and this can only mean less whining - this self-pitying aspect of his character was really irritating and did not entirely ring true. A satisfying read, with a fine conclusion. It left me wondering whether Bain, with all his flaws and unprofessional behaviour will be in any more Cullen books.
on 12 July 2013
The fourth in the Scott Cullen series and if you have read any of first three then you will know what to expect. Nor will you be disappointed.

Ed James has captured life in Edinburgh and in the police so well that the reader becomes completely engrossed in the multiple story lines. Blending a complicated plot and various personal story the pace builds and builds to a breath taking conclusion.

The only question this reader had at the end is how can he wait until winter 20113 for the next installment.
on 2 October 2013
Three Cheers for Ed James Author of the Cullen crime fiction books. I love them and have been hooked since the first one. If you have not yet started these brilliant stories then what are you waiting for? Set in Edinburgh ( found myself googling the streets and even found the bar Cullen went to) the stories focus on Scott Cullen and his colleagues - the dynamics are fabulous - And the crimes they find themselves confronted with. Can't wait for next in series.
on 29 December 2013
This is the fourth book in the Scott Cullen series and I have enjoyed them . The character do grow on you as the books progress, I did write a,review of each book and was disappointed in book three because of the constant f word which was,excessive . However Dyed in the Wool seems to have grown up a bit and I did enjoy the story line
I would certainly recommend this author especially if readers are into Scottish based books