Intriguing and imaginative? Yes - but looking for grown-ups logic in `Duke & Michel: The Mysterious Corridor' may lead to disappointment, yet for young readers there is non-stop roller-coaster action and fizzling dialogue. Language is directed at today's text generation and `Duke & Michel: The Mysterious Corridor' is excellent narrative for a likely target age group of 7 to 11 year olds. Generally the characters are well crafted and evoke sympathy or hostility (but not indifference) with easy differentiation between friend and foe - yet all may not be as initially envisaged!

As he falls through a vortex, meets weird individuals and groups, experiences bizarre situations, escapes on a skateboard, faces up to evil etc. 12 year old main protagonist Michel endures a variety of terrible trials and tribulations. He forms an alliance and is accompanied on his nightmare ordeal by a talking dog, Duke, who is the source of much humour with scathing quips and witticisms about humans. Amidst the suspense of a compelling and gripping adventure story the ongoing puzzle is just whatever can happen next - and how will Michel survive. Though `Duke & Michel: The Mysterious Corridor' is not a complete stand-alone book, readers will welcome how everything is set up for another mind-bending sequel. Perhaps reviews by non-adults not too concerned with logic would award 5-stars?
on 18 July 2014
From the moment Michel hurtles through a vortex and lands on a talking Basset Hound called Duke, you know that this book is going to be filled with humour, fast-paced action and imaginative fun (not to mention a sprinkling of Duke's sarcasm!)

The book makes use of "cool" language that will appeal to pre-teens (ideal for encouraging reluctant readers in the targeted age range to actually pick up a book.) These include skateboarding and texting terms that as an "uncool" adult I shan't even pretend to understand! Despite my linguistic ignorance, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this madcap adventure, and am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Without giving too much away as far as the plot is concerned, I feel I must mention the "shopping with grannies" punishment plan. Little details like this had me laughing out loud, and I am sure they will be enjoyed by both kids, and by those of us who vaguely remember being kids!
on 30 August 2013
Although this book is meant to be a children book, as a teenage, I enjoy it very much. This book includes a lot of fantasy worlds that most people dream of. To be honest, I actually want to visualize the things in the book. The things in the book are all really creative; yet a lot of concepts of the book have already been used, but the structures of the things are really new. This is what make the book great. The book uses concepts that books always use, but it uses some more alternative structures which we have never thought of. The book is just telling us an alternative Wonderland. In additional, the author uses words easy to read to make it even better.
on 7 July 2013
I know this is meant to be a children's book, but when I stared reading, just to check it was suitable, I couldn't stop. And I am most definitely adult. Sorry kids, my turn first. This book made me laugh a lot, the humour is so original. I challenge anyone to resist Duke, the most irritating, fascinating talking animal I've ever encountered. Elias Zapple has a wild imagination and he doesn't hold back. Michel and the constantly annoying, but strangely lovable, Duke travel along the corridor searching for three year old Romain. They meet some characters who should become classics. Including the dreadful Master and his sidekick Mr Flagstad. Have to go as my kindle is being snatched by a very determined seven year old....
on 31 August 2013
I read this with my nephew and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing is sharp and imaginative with sizzling, witty dialogue and creative characters. My nephew loved the different worlds Duke & Michel visited as well as the characters they met along the way. Unfortunately, because my nephew loved Duke so much, he now wants a Basset Hound and won't stop going on about it :(

Anyway, it's a great read for kids - the language, vernacular and style is geared towards them. But it is also a fun book for adults - especially those that can put their pretentiousness aside and enjoy it for what it is; a book for children.
on 28 August 2013
This is a very funny book, not just for kids but for anybody with a sense of humour. It has a touch of Family Guy about it, it's that funny. Duke's a fantastic character with some great lines and I was literally laughing out loud with some of the things he said. In fact, there's a lot of characters with some really funny, crazy dialogue. The story was interesting and definitely something that'll hook kids. Great stuff.
on 10 June 2014
First I have to say that I love Duke. He's the soul of this book and is so incredibly witty, scathing and obnoxious - kids will love him but not as much as he loves himself. This book is set at a fast pace with thrills and spills all the way as Michel goes in search of his young cousin with the help of duke, a dog, who is searching for his brothers. They visit many fantasy worlds and have to do battle with an evil schoolmaster leading up to an exciting climax. I don't know if a book can have too many good characters but this book has lots. It's a riot from beginning to end. Worth checking out.
on 27 May 2014
This book made me laugh out loud.
It is well written, highly imaginative and is set in an amazingly magical world. Indeed it would make a spectacular film. If you're good at visualising what you read then this will blow you away.
I think that it would suit ages 9 to 12 year olds or older. If you like silly, witty, fast moving antics, then it doesn't matter what age you are you'll enjoy this.
I have spent a few hours today reading this book. It wasn't my intention, but I started reading and didn't want to stop until I knew what happened!

It is a really great book. The characters really ARE characters. They ooze personality and as a reader you can really start developing affection and dislike for the various different characters! I really liked the general concept / idea... That there is a long and seemingly never ending corridor containing different lands behind each door. The opportunities for more books by the author based around this idea are endless! It's a brilliant theme for a book - could imagine this one being a film!

This is a good book for any child who enjoys adventure stories and whom has a good imagination. Maybe not just children though - I enjoyed it and am far from being a child!

Recommended.
on 1 September 2014
Not my first book by this author, I got The Mysterious Corridor for my pre-teen daughter and almost-teen son. They are not heavily into reading, but Mr. Zapple's humor won both of them over, and them me into the bargain. The dialog alone worth the reading of adult and children alike, but the story itself was as riveting, masterly built.
Besides the wonderful humor and the delightfully witty writing, the multitude of strange worlds Michel is exploring having been sucked into the mysterious corridor by the giant vortex just across the fence outside his garden, is the place of unlimited adventure, and nothing one would expect it to be. In the world of unpredictability this author takes the prize. But then, reading his biography alone, would have one expecting nothing less than the top British humor and all the unexpected happening.
5 stars from me, and the demand for more books!